Graham Farish Summer 2023 Announcements

AY Mod

21 hours ago, SD35 said:

I did wonder about that too.  I'll hang on another quarter for those just to see if it's a delay or something, otherwise there does seem to be quite a few of those converted FO buffets lingering on the shelves which should be tweakable without too much effort.

Other than that, I don't think I've ever placed so many preorders on a single day before.  It's a cracking announcement.

I did think about converting one into a plain FO, but then I noticed that it has the door locking lights printed on which kind of kiboshed that idea.

• Like 1

Nice lot of MK1s being done there!  The RMBs in blood & custard and chocolate & cream liveries should appeal to the people doing charter trains and preserved railway themes (for those who don't already know - RMBs never wore those liveries in BR service, so they are actually era 8 onwards).  I only hope the SKs don't all sell out before they hit the shops, because I might want some of those (with 3 SKs and 1 TSO in chocolate & cream already in my fleet, I really don't need any more, but no doubt I will find a home for some more!).

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, acourtrail said:

Nice lot of MK1s being done there!  The RMBs in blood & custard and chocolate & cream liveries should appeal to the people doing charter trains and preserved railway themes (for those who don't already know - RMBs never wore those liveries in BR service, so they are actually era 8 onwards).  I only hope the SKs don't all sell out before they hit the shops, because I might want some of those (with 3 SKs and 1 TSO in chocolate & cream already in my fleet, I really don't need any more, but no doubt I will find a home for some more!).

It’s nice to see they’ve done the WCRC coaches too. Ideal if you want to recreate a modern day charter rake!

Tom. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

14 hours ago, acourtrail said:

Was looking at needing to respray an RMB into chocolate and cream for my Riviera Trains charter rake so made up with this. Just need to get some spare B4 and Commonwealth bogies for the TSO and FO vehicles. 

Cheers

Simon

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, 87023Velocity said:

Was looking at needing to respray an RMB into chocolate and cream for my Riviera Trains charter rake so made up with this. Just need to get some spare B4 and Commonwealth bogies for the TSO and FO vehicles. 

Beware, the replacement B4 bogie packs recently issued, Bachmann have ballsed up and the old pre Blue Ribband tooling ones have been produced in error. 

37 minutes ago, John M Upton said:

Beware, the replacement B4 bogie packs recently issued, Bachmann have ballsed up and the old pre Blue Ribband tooling ones have been produced in error. 

The B4s were OK, the CW were wrong - says he from experience

es grüßt

pc 

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

I was looking at the list of new coaches on the Bachmann website last night and it struck how they seem to have made some odd choices for those  that are being produced with multiple running numbers. For example they are producing two WR choc & cream RMBs, two MK2F BSOs in SCR Saltaire, Virgin & Intercity liveries, not in blue/grey. It makes sense to do that for the SO/FO coaches, but the brakes and restaurant cars are usually the ones that end sitting on the shelves of model shops.

I'm very late to this announcement. Great to see Bachmann announce all these coaches, however slight disappointment that no green Mk1s announced - I'm guessing it's at least 10 years since there was a new release of green Mk1 coaches of the more common types used on the SR (BSK, SK, CK) and NSE - we've never had any NSE liveried Mk1 SK & CK types. 

Maybe next time.

Steve

3 hours ago, fezza said:

How about some debranded NSE mk1s with the blue regional railways stripe alteration? That would be a nice new variety that has not yet been done.

I have never seen a MK1 that received this livery variation. Only MK2s.

What are the odds of Mk2"d"s in Scotrail blue stripe appearing any time soon, to sit between the DBSOs and BG/Mk2a sets that still don't appear to have sold out everywhere yet? Seems like the sort of thing a retailer might be willing to take an exclusive punt on.

3 hours ago, newdecade1986 said:

What are the odds of Mk2"d"s in Scotrail blue stripe appearing any time soon, to sit between the DBSOs and BG/Mk2a sets that still don't appear to have sold out everywhere yet? Seems like the sort of thing a retailer might be willing to take an exclusive punt on.

Quite low I would say as there are no MK2Ds tooled up in N at the moment.

• Like 1

Well, I can't moan that "there was nothing here for me" as I've just placed a substantial pre-order for a lot of the announced coaches.

I always feel a bit sorry for manufacturers because, whatever they do, someone will say "Why didn't you do this instead?".  However, with the LT-liveried Class 20s as well, there's a lot that appeals to me.  

• Like 1

@frobisher Hence the "d" part being in quotation marks. I certainly don't reasonably expect to see Farish doing subclasses beyond the non-AC/AC distinction any time in the foreseeable future. If the only alternative is dredging ebay for the ancient printed side coaches, when everything else for a push-pull rake exists in relatively recent form, I can't imagine the average modeller being stubborn enough to turn down a brand new offering over nitpicks. 

There aren't sliding door toolings for Dapol's MK3s either but that didn't stop KMS Railtech commissioning the Inter7city sets. 

3 hours ago, newdecade1986 said:

@frobisher Hence the "d" part being in quotation marks. I certainly don't reasonably expect to see Farish doing subclasses beyond the non-AC/AC distinction any time in the foreseeable future. If the only alternative is dredging ebay for the ancient printed side coaches, when everything else for a push-pull rake exists in relatively recent form, I can't imagine the average modeller being stubborn enough to turn down a brand new offering over nitpicks. 

There aren't sliding door toolings for Dapol's MK3s either but that didn't stop KMS Railtech commissioning the Inter7city sets. 

If Accurascale are looking at the potential for covering MK2B/C in N, maybe they'll consider the D as well.

Whilst yourself and no doubt numerous other modellers wouldn't mind a MK2F masquerading as a D, I suspect there would also be as many that would not be happy with the compromise. I was just about ready to customise a MK2F in InterCity livery to one that was on the Waterloo-Exeter in the early 1990s with InterCity branding removed and a NSE logo next to the number, until I realised disappointingly that it was a D!

• Like 2

374-740 Mk2F TSO 977985 Structure Gauging Train - Network Rail

I am curious about the decision to produce this specific ‘intermediate’ coach (ie not a brake, driving or generator coach) to add to the Network Rail options available for N gauge modellers. In practice 977985 is nicknamed “Dusty Bin” as it features the black cylindrical Laserflex system unit fitted at the pictogram end of the coach, and above an extended coupling to the adjacent coach. The detailed Farish product description includes an ‘Accessory pack’ so is this going to provide an add-on fitting or moulding to portray the Laserflex unit?

The adjacent coach is also important as reference to the “Key Special - Testing Testing” bookazine notes that 977985 is normally linked to 977986 as the SGT Support Coach. I really hope that Farish intend to complete this pairing by adding 977986 to their next announcement. Its fully plated over windows would also provide N gauge with another distinctive Network Rail coach type.

Surely 977985 cannot be left by itself? Indeed, browsing the bookazine offers some alternatives that Farish could still apply to their Mk2F TSO: Plain Line Pattern Recognition Coach or Radio Survey Coach - perhaps we may yet see them….

Edited by ModRXsouth
Added NR

On 07/05/2023 at 14:23, 47475 said:

I have never seen a MK1 that received this livery variation. Only MK2s.

There was some, a special in 1993 on the Weardale Railway used a set - K1 2005 and 47833 Capt. P:eter Mainsy was the motive power

https://flic.kr/p/fzEN36

Edited by Ed-farms

• RMweb Premium

The only rebranded NSE Mk1's I can recall were some where the blue was replaced by Intercity Executive Dark Grey for some reason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, John M Upton said:

The only rebranded NSE Mk1's I can recall were some where the blue was replaced by Intercity Executive Dark Grey for some reason.

I read that from you elsewhere a few weeks ago. That's quite intriguing. Do you happen to know of any photos or videos for reference?

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, 47475 said:

I read that from you elsewhere a few weeks ago. That's quite intriguing. Do you happen to know of any photos or videos for reference?

There was a photo in one of the Platform 5 combined volumes of that era, may have it lurking around here somewhere...

• Like 1

On 08/05/2023 at 17:36, 47475 said:

If Accurascale are looking at the potential for covering MK2B/C in N, maybe they'll consider the D as well.

Whilst yourself and no doubt numerous other modellers wouldn't mind a MK2F masquerading as a D, I suspect there would also be as many that would not be happy with the compromise. I was just about ready to customise a MK2F in InterCity livery to one that was on the Waterloo-Exeter in the early 1990s with InterCity branding removed and a NSE logo next to the number, until I realised disappointingly that it was a D!

There were two Intercity liveried TSOs used on the  Waterloo - Exeter route in the early 1990s, one was a MK2d and one was a MK2e.  If you were to customise a MK2f TSO, you could do the M2e fairly easily.

On 07/05/2023 at 09:15, steve1023 said:

I'm very late to this announcement. Great to see Bachmann announce all these coaches, however slight disappointment that no green Mk1s announced - I'm guessing it's at least 10 years since there was a new release of green Mk1 coaches of the more common types used on the SR (BSK, SK, CK) and NSE - we've never had any NSE liveried Mk1 SK & CK types. 

Maybe next time.

Steve

I agree, some more green MK1s would have been nice (and some more Bulleids in 1960s green too) - maybe next year.

On 05/05/2023 at 22:34, 03060 said:

A great announcement .... I'd better get some OT put in !!

Best do that OT quick if you are after the MK2s, because I suspect the blue & grey TSOs and all the Intercity swift and Virgin ones will soon be gone for a burton if they aren't already!

I wonder how long the maroon TSOs and SKs will last too - mind you, there can't be too many people after a maroon SK at the moment, because I managed to get a £33 "buy it now" one off eBay that had been on there for nearly a week.

• Like 1

I get confused with the (external) differences, but Im sure its mainly around toilet windows and underframe equipment?  Looking underneath my Farish mk2f TSOs there is lots of un-used extra plugs/mounting holes for different arrangements, perhaps did Farish future proof the tooling for the E and D mk2 variants to be released later?

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, acourtrail said:

Best do that OT quick if you are after the MK2s, because I suspect the blue & grey TSOs and all the Intercity swift and Virgin ones will soon be gone for a burton if they aren't already!

I wonder how long the maroon TSOs and SKs will last too - mind you, there can't be too many people after a maroon SK at the moment, because I managed to get a £33 "buy it now" one off eBay that had been on there for nearly a week.

Likewise, I've just picked up a boxed 2nd hand B/grey SK from Hattons for £25 that had been there for nearly 3 months !

Just setting off for my 2nd OT shift of the week. LoL

• Like 1