Graham Farish Summer 2023 Announcements

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Fingers crossed for the missing Mk2a in the autumn (blue/grey TSO & Regional Railways BSO).

According to some 4mm modellers on the Bachmann releases thread, don’t hold your breath, because by the Autumn “normality” (actual word used) will have been resumed and most of the announcements will be 00 items.  

It’s quite an eye-opener to see the level of entitled annoyance from some (fortunately not all) of the feather-bedded 00 community when N gets a look-in and they get a quarterly announcement which N modellers would have regarded as more than adequate.

Richard

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

45 minutes ago, RichardT said:

According to some 4mm modellers on the Bachmann releases thread, don’t hold your breath, because by the Autumn “normality” (actual word used) will have been resumed and most of the announcements will be 00 items.  

It’s quite an eye-opener to see the level of entitled annoyance from some (fortunately not all) of the feather-bedded 00 community when N gets a look-in and they get a quarterly announcement which N modellers would have regarded as more than adequate.

Richard

You mean the quote from that well known OO modeller @Ed-farms

Edited by woodenhead
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Well the mk2s are welcome, as are the WCRC mk1s, means I'll offload some of my non Commonwealth BR maroon Mk1s.

The Virgin ones save me a few resprays, just need to fade them and patch the logos. The stash of cheapies I've got can go into Anglia colours.

67013 1Z17 Wapley

The lobsters are a nice surprise too, I didn't expect to see them shrunk yet.

Jo

Edited by Steadfast
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

A very welcome set of announcements. Also pleasantly surprised to see the Ivatt has been given a sound upgrade. Most, if not all of the tender steam locos from that particular time of manufacture seem to have been treated by now. I don't expect to see the B1 or the J39 getting done (the sales of the former may well have been hit by the Dapol model, although the Farish one looked significantly better, and they said at the time the J39 wouldn't have been done but for the common tender drive), but hopefully the Stanier 5MT will be due an upgrade eventually …

If there is to be a newly tooled N gauge loco this year it will probably be in the August announcements to coincide with TINGS.

Definitely a "well done" for Farish this time round!

• RMweb Gold
9 minutes ago, Steadfast said:

Well the mk2s are welcome, as are the WCRC mk1s, means I'll offload some of my non Commonwealth BR maroon Mk1s.

The Virgin ones save me a few resprays, just need to fade them and patch the logos. The stash of cheapies I've got can go into Anglia colours.

67013 1Z17 Wapley

The lobsters are a nice surprise too, I didn't expect to see them shrunk yet.

Jo

If I had to admit to one minor disappointment from today's announcements, it's that there were no Anglia Mk.2s. It's such a wide travelled livery now spanning quite a long period and goes with all manner of motive power that I'm sure they'd be popular with modern scene modellers. 

Can we expect some Steadfast Virgin blanking transfers coming in the future?😉

1 hour ago, RichardT said:

Richard

It's unlikely there'll be another list as long as this quarter's, but I suspect Bachmann are not completely done with N Gauge for this year.

Tom.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
49 minutes ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

A very welcome set of announcements. Also pleasantly surprised to see the Ivatt has been given a sound upgrade. Most, if not all of the tender steam locos from that particular time of manufacture seem to have been treated by now. I don't expect to see the B1 or the J39 getting done (the sales of the former may well have been hit by the Dapol model, although the Farish one looked significantly better, and they said at the time the J39 wouldn't have been done but for the common tender drive), but hopefully the Stanier 5MT will be due an upgrade eventually …

If there is to be a newly tooled N gauge loco this year it will probably be in the August announcements to coincide with TINGS.

Isn’t the class 69 on the way? Can’t see them producing any other loco in the short term, though maybe a 56 will be a spin-off from the 69.

1 hour ago, TomE said:

It's unlikely there'll be another list as long as this quarter's, but I suspect Bachmann are not completely done with N Gauge for this year.

Tom.

Next time round should be time for the Crewe Cut 47s and whatever that might bring in terms of mechanism changes.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

The fact that there is another run of J39s due June-July time, still tender driven and with 6 pin decoder socket (nothing wrong with that it is an excellent tender-drive) would indeed suggest no loco-drive/sound upgrade is imminent for that loco (and yes, if I recall correctly it was Colin Allbright who said to me that without the B1 there would have been no J39).

That said, the Dapol B1 was out of the equation long ago, having been thoroughly trounced by the Farish one, and I don't see any reason why a loco-drive B1 from Farish shouldn't feature at some point in the future, but with the availability of the Next 18 and sound fitted Stanier tender already, I would have thought a Black Five might be along before.

Roy

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, TomE said:

Can we expect some Steadfast Virgin blanking transfers coming in the future?😉

Depends how accurately I can cut squares out of masking tape I reckon 😁

Jo

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
22 minutes ago, montyburns56 said:

Another strange omission is a Mk2F FO in blue grey.

To be honest, it is the bread and butter standard coaches that are most desperately needed and I welcome the fact that Farish seemed to have grasped this with doubling up for many releases.

Also none of the god awful factory weathering either which is a relief.

Interested in the Lobsters, any idea on price for these?

Edited by John M Upton

• RMweb Premium

This is a very positive announcement, and is good to see. I am somewhat shocked at the prices being asked for the coaches however. I'm very glad that I have plenty of mk1's already. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, montyburns56 said:

Another strange omission is a Mk2F FO in blue grey.

I did wonder about that too.  I'll hang on another quarter for those just to see if it's a delay or something, otherwise there does seem to be quite a few of those converted FO buffets lingering on the shelves which should be tweakable without too much effort.

Other than that, I don't think I've ever placed so many preorders on a single day before.  It's a cracking announcement.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I can remember when you didn't have to pay more than twenty to twenty five quid for modern tooling Mk1's eight or nine years ago, luckily I filled my boots back then and have a healthy fleet of blue/grey mk1's, probably more than I need.

I wasn't so impressed by the Mk2z/Mk2a though, some weird fault kept causing the pin points of the axles to dislodge in the B4 bogies so I moved those on, at a profit!

Edited by John M Upton

12 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Seems to be a response to Hornby TT to me.

"Quick, get some N Gauge stuff out before everyone changes scale"

Jason

Basic coaches shouldn't be a response to anything! Accept someone buying a locomotive.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

17 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

Well they did the same for TINGS last year with the 90, true it wasn't on sale (I bet the plan was for it to be but some slippage occurred) so they announced it so they could display it. Fingers crossed they do announce a brand new loco. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Mr chapman said:

Basic coaches shouldn't be a response to anything! Accept someone buying a locomotive.

I agree. These are the things that should always be available.

But it just seems a lot, suddenly, all at once. Not long after Hornby announced a similar amount of TT versions.

I'm afraid I don't believe in coincidences. Too many items are the same - BR Mk1, TTA, HAA, just needs some Pullmans!

For clarity I do dabble in N. Even a member of the BCC Double Scale so I get the 00 and N gauge wagons.

Jason

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
20 hours ago, TomE said:

If I had to admit to one minor disappointment from today's announcements, it's that there were no Anglia Mk.2s.

Would you need a flush-fronted DBSO for correct rakes of Anglia MK2fs?

Steven B.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Would you need a flush-fronted DBSO for correct rakes of Anglia MK2fs?

Steven B.

Not specifically for what I have in mind, which is the Wherry Lines loco hauled formations of loco/BSO/TSO/TSO/loco.

That said, I wouldn't say no to a flush front DBSO, as a DRS one did make appearances on those services (On that note, add DRS livery to future Mk.2f releases please Bachmann!

Tom. 

3 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

I agree. These are the things that should always be available.

But it just seems a lot, suddenly, all at once. Not long after Hornby announced a similar amount of TT versions.

I'm afraid I don't believe in coincidences. Too many items are the same - BR Mk1, TTA, HAA, just needs some Pullmans!

For clarity I do dabble in N. Even a member of the BCC Double Scale so I get the 00 and N gauge wagons.

Jason

I would of thought that Bachmann had to plan/schedule these releases a lot earlier than when they knew about Hornbys TT range?  They probably been reading this forum (and others) and knew it was a long standing frustration.  Plus they have upped the runs/variations of most items recently, e.g. I think I lost count of the different 08s and 37s that  got released.  I can remember during the 1st covid lockdown it was hard to get hold of anything in N so Im not complaining.  The only thing thats slightly annoying though is Hornby can do their TT Mk1s for £32 and TTAs for ~£20.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2