Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Midland Area Group - MAG

JustinDean

• RMweb Gold

Hi fellow RMWebbers,

after some nudging from a certain sheep and conversation at this years SWAG event in Taunton I’ve decided it’s time for us lot a little further north to get in on the action. 

I’m proposing a Midlands meet up in Derby towards the end of 2024 at my gaff, Dubrek Studios. There’s a bar, a cafe and food aplenty. A few folk have already approached me about bringing their layouts. At this point I’m interested in finding out who’s, er….interested. 

If you’re a Midlands based RMWebber, or indeed from further afield and want to join in the fun do follow this thread. If you have a layout or want to be part of the organizing team send me a message and I’ll pop you on the list. 

Thanks

Jay

• Like 14
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Gold

Best of luck with this Jay, as many have said the SWAG Day is one of the best and I hope you can generate the same level of interest and enjoyment up north.

• Agree 3
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Stubby47 said:

Best of luck with this Jay, as many have said the SWAG Day is one of the best and I hope you can generate the same level of interest and enjoyment up north.

Thanks mate - indeed SWAG has set a high bar!

Jay

Jay,

Just to reiterate here, Obbekær is a possibility for this, depending on the date. The other option would be for me to bring one or two Friden boards with a High Peak display and a demo, if you would prefer something more 'local'.

Let me know if I can help in any way.

G

• Friendly/supportive 1

Hi Jay. Definitely interested in coming along. Might need a bit more work completing on Shallcross, but could be persuaded to bring that along as a WiP if you’re interested/short on proper layouts!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

There'll be something sheepy there on the day, Jay. 

Might well have something new by then.......

Rob. 

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jay

I can provide a 009 narrow gauge test piece I have built, first exhibited at the East Midlands 009 groups 2022 exhibition last year. Hopefully by next year there could be further pieces built/under construction if you need a display also. I will add the link to the thread (that has not been updated in ages) next time I am on my laptop. Link added

Edited by Ramrig
Link added
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jay

As one of the organisers of the very first get together back in 2007, how can I resist your invitation!

@AY Mod was organising the event at Chasewater but for various reasons that fell through and so I offered the use of Mickleover Community Centre where I was Chairman, and the local model railway club have their clubrooms next door. Andy called in a few days later to see the building, and the next day the new venue was announced. It was a great success and was the start of other gatherings such as those at Stafford and of course Taunton. I remember @Captain Kernow bringing some of his crew from SWAG and more locally @RedgateModels and @Ramrig were among many others who were there. Somewhere there is a photo of us all together complete with names - sadly there are also some who are no longer with us.

Looking forward to a visit to Dubrek http://www.dubrek.co.uk/

Mike

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Hi Jay

As one of the organisers of the very first get together back in 2007, how can I resist your invitation!

@AY Mod was organising the event at Chasewater but for various reasons that fell through and so I offered the use of Mickleover Community Centre where I was Chairman, and the local model railway club have their clubrooms next door. Andy called in a few days later to see the building, and the next day the new venue was announced. It was a great success and was the start of other gatherings such as those at Stafford and of course Taunton. I remember @Captain Kernow bringing some of his crew from SWAG and more locally @RedgateModels and @Ramrig were among many others who were there. Somewhere there is a photo of us all together complete with names - sadly there are also some who are no longer with us.

Mike

Happy to oblige Mike 😃

RMweb.JPG.d76f03a7f5c1b647c1365d7b0f328d14.JPG

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Happy to provide Summat Colliery or Fourgig East, or a demo (DCC, or Loco & stock servicing that I do a Warley). @noiseboy72 might want to bring along his 3d printing etc?

On a related note, many many years ago I was in a band based in Derby, we used to practice in rooms around the California area. I still have recordings etc of gigs we did in the old Duke of York, sadly now swept away into history.

Edited by RedgateModels
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Mike Bellamy said:

Hi Jay

Mike

Hi Mike, thankyou for filling me in on that bit of history. Andy York had mentioned there was a dormant MAG thread. As a relatively new person on here it’s important for me to connect to those who have been here a while such as yourself. Please do point any folk you feel are relevant to this thread. 

Thanks

Jay

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

Happy to provide Summat Colliery or Fourgig East, or a demo (DCC, or Loco & stock servicing that I do a Warley). @noiseboy72 might want to bring along his 3d printing etc?

On a related note, many many years ago I was in a band based in Derby, we used to practice in rooms around the California area. I still have recordings etc of gigs we did in the old Duke of York, sadly now swept away into history.

Ah The Duke of York! What was the name

of the band you played in?

Jay

• RMweb Gold

@Ramrig @Middlepeak @RedgateModels

Im creating an expression of interest list at this point and you’re all now on it. 

If anyone else is interested in bringing their modelling work send me a message and I can add you to the list. 
A bit further down the line I’ll make some firm decisions who can bring what. This will be (as usual) down to space available in the venue. 

Thanks

Jay

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi @JustinDean, I was with you and the SheepBloke down at SWAG and part of the discussion...

Depends on the date chosen but I am East Midlands based and do have a smallish (12') 00 clay layout that could be tempted to travel. (Just don't clash with the Stafford show)

Jamie took a load of photos when it debuted at SWAG in 2022...

431116940_SWAG22-Pensarrett(23)(Copy).JPG.4560601ba8d197ed4d773371f43c2136 (1).jpeg

1127544869_SWAG22-Pensarrett(1)(Copy).JPG.a53ea8582300eae9df1a0af07ffe5ea2 (1).jpeg

628036150_SWAG22-Pensarrett(11)(Copy).JPG.2b0f90cd4c68aa56ed673351d2b8046b (1).jpeg

1092354312_SWAG22-Pensarrett(4)(Copy).JPG.3fd6a07f4f7d7b7065b496b497e00279 (1).jpeg

1962683881_SWAG22-Pensarrett(22)(Copy).JPG.d05bf3bfa4d444c322cc5316ea3f000d (1).jpeg

1090678338_SWAG22-Pensarrett(13)(Copy).JPG.70892b2a66a42921072efe7e9c2c472c (1).jpeg

1979856235_SWAG22-Pensarrett(24)(Copy).JPG.11e4c7eff1293b8c2ee110c6f1a6e293 (1).jpeg

• Like 15
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, 2ManySpams said:

Hi @JustinDean, I was with you and the SheepBloke down at SWAG and part of the discussion...

Depends on the date chosen but I am East Midlands based and do have a smallish (12') 00 clay layout that could be tempted to travel. (Just don't clash with the Stafford show)

Jamie took a load of photos when it debuted at SWAG in 2022...

431116940_SWAG22-Pensarrett(23)(Copy).JPG.4560601ba8d197ed4d773371f43c2136 (1).jpeg

1127544869_SWAG22-Pensarrett(1)(Copy).JPG.a53ea8582300eae9df1a0af07ffe5ea2 (1).jpeg

628036150_SWAG22-Pensarrett(11)(Copy).JPG.2b0f90cd4c68aa56ed673351d2b8046b (1).jpeg

1092354312_SWAG22-Pensarrett(4)(Copy).JPG.3fd6a07f4f7d7b7065b496b497e00279 (1).jpeg

1962683881_SWAG22-Pensarrett(22)(Copy).JPG.d05bf3bfa4d444c322cc5316ea3f000d (1).jpeg

1090678338_SWAG22-Pensarrett(13)(Copy).JPG.70892b2a66a42921072efe7e9c2c472c (1).jpeg

1979856235_SWAG22-Pensarrett(24)(Copy).JPG.11e4c7eff1293b8c2ee110c6f1a6e293 (1).jpeg

Indeed you were Spams and welcome to the party! Also Polsarrett is a fantastic layout and I very much enjoyed watching it at SWAG 22 - this is now on the EOI list. 

The date 22nd Sept 2024 has been looked at and I believe the Sunday before Stafford. 

Cheers

Jay

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

Kachina 🙂

The name doesn’t ring a bell - either it’s my memory or you were active before I moved to Derby in ‘95. I’m guessing the latter as there were no rehearsal spaces in Derby when I moved there. My band used to travel to Leicester to get a rehearsal!

Jay 

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, JustinDean said:

The name doesn’t ring a bell - either it’s my memory or you were active before I moved to Derby in ‘95. I’m guessing the latter as there were no rehearsal spaces in Derby when I moved there. My band used to travel to Leicester to get a rehearsal!

Jay 

It was around '95 that we split up, so yeah maybe before your time

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Hi Jay,

im also interested in being part of this.

I have an 014 narrow gypsum mine microlayout called 'Bunny Mine' based on an actual location in South Notts, which is available.

Dava

20200321_171713.jpg.011c84f254f10b72850635dab3ebe946.jpg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Dava said:

Hi Jay,

im also interested in being part of this.

I have an 014 narrow gypsum mine microlayout called 'Bunny Mine' based on an actual location in South Notts, which is available.

Dava

20200321_171713.jpg.011c84f254f10b72850635dab3ebe946.jpg

Lovely stuff Dava!

You’ve been added to the list. 

Cheers

Jay

• Like 1