Dapol announce a 28xx in OO

spamcan61

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, sjrixon said:

Oh, an Aberdare would have been amazing. 

Extra vote from here.  Well done Dapol. Like others, I've looked at the Hornby model on occasion, but I'll await until you're ready. After all folks, it's only 6 months....

By the way, do you produce Froth Dispenser?

• Funny 3

1 hour ago, Legend said:

Dapol certainly seem to be going down a Great Western route at the minute , what with their locos , coaches , Autocoach

I guess being based in Wales helps.

Rather surprised by this announcement TBH.

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sjrixon said:

Oh, an Aberdare would have been amazing. 

How many forum members actually saw one of these in service as a point of interest ? I suspect the problem here is the timespan of the class and the existing drawings and documentation involved in research. The last examples were withdrawn shortly after the 2nd World War. I suspect it would not be a cost effective project for Dapol. For similar,Bachmann did at least have City Of Truro as a working template. 

As they are shortly to deliver the Toplights though,a 517 & Metro Tank might be a consideration ? But there again,the above mentioned obstacles still apply.

For the record,I did see an Aberdare in service. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators
30 minutes ago, BVMR21 said:

I do hope the GWR Lettering is centred on the tender properly on these though, unlike on the Manor.

I specifically addressed the point, with images, at the time. Please don't perpetuate myths and misinformation.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

having got over the surprise, it appears that Dapol will, indeed, produce models of a Western flavour. It behoves us to relax, and let Dapol come up with the goods (pardon the pun).   In all honesty, I can't see them making the niche models, and they would be correct in that assumption. After all, if Dapol get so much as a rivet out of place, that'll be at least 5 pages of RMweb. What chance of a large Metro? Would you put your neck on the block? I'd love an Aberdare, plus the 517, Metro et al, all staple locomotives. but somehow, I don't think it'll happen. I'm well known for sticking my foot in my mouth, so I hope I'm proved wrong.

I went to Aberdare once: The shops were shut, and it was raining...

• Like 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

Will there be one like this?

"The video of the song ["Breakthru", by Queen] was filmed within two days on the preserved Nene Valley Railway, near Peterborough in Cambridgeshire, England. The group members mentioned in the interviews that despite the hot summer weather, the event brought a nice refreshment to their studio work. It also helped heighten guitarist Brian May's spirits, as he was going through a bout of depression from the intense scrutiny surrounding his first marriage and Freddie Mercury's health starting to falter as a result of AIDS.

The steam locomotive No. 3822 (fired by Mark Needham) and an open platform were rented by Queen from the Didcot Railway Centre in Oxfordshire and repainted for the video. In particular, the group named the train "The Miracle Express", and this name was reflected in large red letters on the sides of the locomotive."
From https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Breakthru_(song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRaSFk958Js

image.png.f3000707b032a883d95f26a76f6c78ae.png

Edited by DavidBird
  • Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, tomparryharry said:
8 minutes ago, tomparryharry said:

Well at least you know there’s a town as well as a locomotive. I paid a visit a year ago. Like most places,the town in which I was born and grew up has changed a bit since I shed bunked at 86J  ( Once the home of the Aberdares )  before school.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Well at least you know there’s a town as well as a locomotive. I paid a visit a year ago. Like most places,the town in which I was born and grew up has changed a bit since I shed bunked at 86J  ( Once the home of the Aberdares )  before school.

I'm only joking; honest!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

I have been put off by the Hornby one due to its visible chassis block, so this is a nice announcement.

Dapol seems to be on a GWR trend - Mogul, Large Prairie, Manor, 2800/2884, what's next?

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, sjrixon said:

Or Pannier.. ;)

Or a Metro or 517 or lots of other things not even done in RTR yet instead of something relatively recent and done to a good standard.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Ian Hargrave said:

How many forum members actually saw one of these in service as a point of interest ? I suspect the problem here is the timespan of the class and the existing drawings and documentation involved in research. The last examples were withdrawn shortly after the 2nd World War. I suspect it would not be a cost effective project for Dapol. For similar,Bachmann did at least have City Of Truro as a working template. 

As they are shortly to deliver the Toplights though,a 517 & Metro Tank might be a consideration ? But there again,the above mentioned obstacles still apply.

For the record,I did see an Aberdare in service. 

Fraid I'm guilty of seeing hundreds and saying silly things like scrap it to the regulars at Laira.

P

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, The Fatadder said:

I was thinking much the same, I dont recall any particular accuracy issues regarding the Hornby model other than the colour of the green out of the box (which has been sorted on my 3).  Never had an issue with the DCC fitting a decoder in the tender (not exactly a hardship to undo a couple of screws...)   So it does feel a bit of a missed opportunity given the continued lack of a decent 57xx family, or if a tender freight engine was the requirement something like an Aberdare thats not been done RTR previously.

The firebox was too wide, particularly at running plate level. I thought it ruined the look of what could have been a very nice model.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

20 minutes ago, Denbridge said:

The firebox was too wide, particularly at running plate level. I thought it ruined the look of what could have been a very nice model.

That and the chassis block intruding into the under boiler space in front of the firebox are probably it's weakest structural aspects. I can live with it on mine as it's not really a Valley's branch loco but I like them. Hopefully Dapol will get it right, we will have to wait to see. Compensated chassis sounds like an improvement too. On my gradients the Hornby model is on 4 wheels at times! Although to be fair so is my Bachmann Robinson ROD.🤫

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

The internal motion is particularly visible on these locos...

And the model would presumably drive the rear axle, well away from the valve gear...

Would it be too much to hope for working internal motion?

Yes, probably, but I can dream.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 3

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Harlequin said:

Please don't turn this topic into yet another endless tedious argument about the costs of models!

or indeed what people hoped they would do instead of this.

• Agree 6

24 minutes ago, rovex said:

Oh goody, more duplication!

But an improvement isn't duplication. It is great that Hornby have invested in the new bluetooth system. But I suspect it means that they will finally need to bite the bullet and review their locos to see which need some sort of retooling/redesign to make the most of a modern control system with sound. Meanwhile others will see opportunities to get in first.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, toby_tl10 said:

I have been put off by the Hornby one due to its visible chassis block, so this is a nice announcement.

Dapol seems to be on a GWR trend - Mogul, Large Prairie, Manor, 2800/2884, what's next?

Going on the idea of bringing in standard parts, I'd think along the lines of early Saint, or early Hall. All the same tender.... The Saint leads you into the Star; Churchwards' Masterpiece .....     

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby offerings with a little work are very acceptable to me.  Coal, crew, weathering......

I was very pleased to hear about both sets of Toplight offerings from Dapol, and thought perhaps they were looking to produce other items where there was a gaping hole in the market: Saint has to be the biggest gap out there.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, D9020 Nimbus said:

I'd rather they'd used some of the resources to get the N gauge Light Pacific issued. We've only been waiting since 2012…

Going off-topic, I have seen the latest CAD images from the factory and they look phenomenal. The cab detail in particular, is outstanding for N.

Still a few minor tweaks to do but this is very much at the top of our development queue. Once everyone is happy, then we shall show some images.

Even though I'm more into diesel and electric, I am VERY excited for this!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1