Dapol announce a 28xx in OO

spamcan61

• RMweb Premium

Thanks Spamcan61  and well done Dapol .  £189.99 continues their trend of keeping prices reasonable for what looks like a high spec loco .   Compare it to the prices of some other manufacturers...............

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Legend said:

Thanks Spamcan61  and well done Dapol .  £189.99 continues their trend of keeping prices reasonable for what looks like a high spec loco .   Compare it to the prices of some other manufacturers...............

Don’t think the competition…as such…..has been in production for quite a long time. The Bachmann 9F which is current comes in at around the same price with the retail discount if you can really compare the two prototypes.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

This is wonderful news. These giant mute workhorses slogged around the GWR system doing a lot of hard work without getting the attention of the big passenger classes. I love 'em for that.

I wonder if the new Hornby management will consider the 28XX to be one of "their" models and behave like they have for other competing models in recent years? Hopefully they will take a more enlightened approach this time.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

An 8-coupled compensated chassis that can manage R2 curves for under £200 is quite an achievement; well done Dapol!  I can’t see Hornby weighing in on this one tbh, as they have hitched their investment wagon to the TT 120 horse and I reckon they are a spent force as far as new toolings are concerned; of course, they could cut prices on the existing tooling, and of course, I could be wrong!

My wallet is safe from this one, as they never penetrated the mountain fastnesses of the Tondu hinterland.  A 42xx would be another matter…

Edited by The Johnster
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I have 2 of the Hornby examples. The Dapol version would have to be fairly spectacular to get me to upgrade, as to my eye they are rather nice models.  That is, of course, not to say that I can’t be convinced. Especially as I haven’t got round to fitting sound decoders to them. Both may make way for one sound fitted Dapol model should it be a big enough difference in standard.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

Well since my dad used to have the cabside number of 2874 in the hallway whilst I was growing up (was traded with the society a few years back for 2876) I think a model of 2874 won't go amiss.

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

I will definitely order one! If like me you are into sound, it is interesting to see that the sound fitted option is again, cheaper than buying the non sound version plus a decoder.

I was very pleased with the sound in my Mogul but does anyone know if the fire box flicker is likely to be better in the 28xx? I don't have a Dapol Manor (waiting for my Accurascale) so I don't know if they sorted it for that model.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 7802 said:

I have 2 of the Hornby examples. The Dapol version would have to be fairly spectacular to get me to upgrade, as to my eye they are rather nice models.  That is, of course, not to say that I can’t be convinced. Especially as I haven’t got round to fitting sound decoders to them. Both may make way for one sound fitted Dapol model should it be a big enough difference in standard.

I haven't got one but reviews I've read suggest the Hornby 28xx whilst looking the part lacks a little in the traction department? I think this and the enhanced DCC friendliness might be the opening that Dapol are seeing

• Like 4
  • Agree 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

I know people would have liked the pannier.. But, I'd love a 28xx.. I do look from time to time for a Hornby one, but it's such a mixed bag and then that added issue of converting to DCC put me off paying the kind of money people are asking.. 

Well done Dapol. I love my Prairie, I'll have a 43xx when you release it and now looks like I need to pre-order a 28xx for next year!

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, 7802 said:

I was thinking much the same, I dont recall any particular accuracy issues regarding the Hornby model other than the colour of the green out of the box (which has been sorted on my 3).  Never had an issue with the DCC fitting a decoder in the tender (not exactly a hardship to undo a couple of screws...)   So it does feel a bit of a missed opportunity given the continued lack of a decent 57xx family, or if a tender freight engine was the requirement something like an Aberdare thats not been done RTR previously.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Legend said:

As I've said on another thread, unless manufacturers have the exact same overheads and are making the exact same model then we cannot compare pricings.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Type 2 said:

As I've said on another thread, unless manufacturers have the exact same overheads and are making the exact same model then we cannot compare pricings.

As consumers we can consider value for money of then end price , though ,and which company we perceive is giving it.

• Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
48 minutes ago, Legend said:

Dapol certainly seem to be going down a Great Western route at the minute , what with their locos , coaches , Autocoach

Filling the gaping (G)WR chasm left by Hornby.

I guess there's enough commonality with the Moguls and Manors that it makes logistical sense.

Edited by Harlequin
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, Type 2 said:

The end product is much the same though, so it seems entirely reasonable to compare prices. The manufacturers' business model is of no direct consequence to me as a customer.

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, BVMR21 said:

I do hope the GWR Lettering is centred on the tender properly on these though, unlike on the Manor.

It shouldn’t be centred if there are rivet heads in the way, the GWR offset the initials if there were.

• Agree 10
  • Informative/Useful 1