Dapol announce a 28xx in OO

spamcan61

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Also worth bearing in mind that most of North Wales was actually LMS and even the LNER had it's inroads rather than GWR. I have seen it suggested that Mainline did the J72 due to Merl Evans remembering them at Wrexham. I don't think it was coincidence that Mainline had a very Welsh leaning.

Speaking of Wales will 3802 have the correct tender for preservation days? It tends to run with a 4000 gallon Collett tender.

Jason

Don't forget that 28Xx were shedded. at both Chester and Birkenhead and at one time worked regularly to Warrington.  so they certainly got into the Wirral and the north west of England south of the Mersey.

The LNER just abut got into North Wales whereas the GWR had considerable route mileage there  with all its large classes except the 'Kings' working through the little slice of North Wales that its Chester andBirkenhead main line passed through.  But of course none of the large engines were permitted on the greater part of the quite extensive GWR route mileage in North Wales.  28XX were of course only permitted on the mainline route through Wrexham and not on the most extensive part of the GWR in that part of the world.  

(Nothing to do with the 28XX but in the Post-Group period the GWR clearly had far more stations, and probably more route mileage, north of the Afon Dyfi (River Dovey - usually considered the natural southern boundary of North Wales) than any other company.)

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

I like Dapols rendition of cast wheels, tyres on there GW locos.

I think the choice of a heavy chassis will make a nice model.

I likes the 63xx and 61xx and the manor, but the green could be better…but Black is good.

My Hornby ones arent bad, but for the above.

I’m not sure this model is my first choice to replace on my list, and I only have a couple of Hornby ones at that.

I think for me it will depend what its competing with at the time it appears on shelves, but feel confident it will be a nice model… unexpected, I wonder if 2-8-0T and 2-8-2T versions will feature on the horizon afterwards.

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Me too, but the driven axle is different, so it could not be done with same mech.  People who bought design (not very) clever 8-coupled Hornbys might be interested, as I would myself if the model reviewed particularly well and was priced within my ability to buy.  But my red-box 42xx will do for now..

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

GWR clearly had far more stations, and probably more route mileage, north of the Afon Dyfi (River Dovey - usually considered the natural southern boundary of North Wales) than any other company.)

The old boundary between the kingdoms; Gwynedd, Powys, and Dyfed.  It is surprising how this still makes itself apparent; once stayed at a place in Newtown/Drenewydd, and heard two cleaning ladies chatting in Welsh, one from Newtown and one who commuted in from Llangurig, only a few miles away and both very much within ‘old’ Powys.  The commuter has a more southern accent and I heard her referring to the home girl as a ‘gog’* in friendly banter. 

*Gogleddwr’, Northerner.  

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
8 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Unless they want to match the incorrect shades of their earlier stable.

The Hornby 28xx isn't actually that bad, certainly not like the insipid olive green of the Kings. Side by side with my Manor, there is very little difference.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

On 12/05/2023 at 09:30, Hilux5972 said:

Could have been a County or Saint. 

On 12/05/2023 at 09:56, Ian Hargrave said:

Well we keep making noises but no one’s biting. 

I am confident your patience will be rewarded by "A" "D" or "R" or maybe even "Hj" eventually.

• RMweb Gold

Collett 1938 31xx please.  Or at least Churchward 3150, which might lead eventually lead to the Collett.  Or 1854/2721 pannier.  Keep banging on about these because persistent banging on eventually produced the Diagram N auto-trailer, and is thus a proven successful method of providing me with models I want to current RTR standards, which are higher than I can manage from kits.

Very surprised they didn’t do a ‘Baby Castle’ (Collett 0-6-0).

A pretty ubiquitous loco from right across Wales to the S&D, Devon, DN&S, M&SWJR, Fairford Branch, the West Midlands.

The Bachmann version is well past its bedtime with its undersized wheels, awful chimney and moulded detail.

Dapol have already done the most common tender and it would fill that mid-market niche nicely.

I’m sure the 28xx will sell, but in sufficient numbers?

• Agree 3

19 hours ago, Chuffed 1 said:

Very surprised they didn’t do a ‘Baby Castle’ (Collett 0-6-0).

A pretty ubiquitous loco from right across Wales to the S&D, Devon, DN&S, M&SWJR, Fairford Branch, the West Midlands.

The Bachmann version is well past its bedtime with its undersized wheels, awful chimney and moulded detail.

Dapol have already done the most common tender and it would fill that mid-market niche nicely.

I’m sure the 28xx will sell, but in sufficient numbers?

You mean the one that is about ten years old?

I'm sure people are looking at the ancient Mainline version.....

19 hours ago, BVMR21 said:

The Bachmann model of the 2251 (latest tooling) is about 16 years old now, but according to Hattons, the tooling is still the 1995 model just upgraded with a DCC Socket.

Still a total waste of time and resources making a rival model that possibly won't be as good as what is already available.

Why not ask Bachmann to upgrade their one? It only needs a few minor tweaks and they've probably got one up their sleeve anyway.

Seems nobody is actually interested in the 28XX then, as all we've had is wishlists for other things and moans about prices.

Personally I'm waiting to see what we actually get as Dapol models can be hit or miss.

Jason

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, BVMR21 said:

The Bachmann model of the 2251 (latest tooling) is about 16 years old now, but according to Hattons, the tooling is still the 1995 model just upgraded with a DCC Socket.

Hello BVMR21

According to Pat Hammond in his Ramsay's Model Train Catalogue, Bachmann re-tooled the 22xx and introduced it in 1998.

The loco was first listed in The 00 Wishlist Poll 2018, where it was Middle Polling. It was Middle again in 2019 but when The Poll next ran (2022), it moved to High Polling.

Brian

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold
17 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Still a total waste of time and resources making a rival model that possibly won't be as good as what is already available.

Why not ask Bachmann to upgrade their one? It only needs a few minor tweaks and they've probably got one up their sleeve anyway.

Seems nobody is actually interested in the 28XX then, as all we've had is wishlists for other things and moans about prices.

People interested in them are probably keeping quiet, waiting for something substantive to talk about...

17 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Personally I'm waiting to see what we actually get as Dapol models can be hit or miss.

Jason

Yes, indeed. For example, Dapol have made GWR engines with good fireboxes and bad fireboxes. So there's not much to say until we see something real.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Harlequin said:

People interested in them are probably keeping quiet, waiting for something substantive to talk about...

A recurring theme as shewn with their toplight coaches, silence is golden but my eyes don't see to misquote the song.

• Like 2
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

A recurring theme as shewn with their toplight coaches, silence is golden but my eyes don't see to misquote the song.

I (kind of) understand why they don't want to engage on here.... but you would have hoped their website would make up for it with more up to date information.

The last news on the site about the Mainline & City Toplight carriages was dated May 2022: https://www.Dapol.co.uk/blogs/news/oo-gauge-toplight-coach-update

I cant see any news about the main run of Toplight carriages. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Jason

There's precious few ex-GWR prototypes that lasted long enough to carry both BR emblems that haven't been done before, but any assumption that "the incumbents" have imminent intentions to retool would ensure nobody made anything.

The outlook for an updated Bachmann 2251 probably parallels Hornby's 28xx/2884. 

Pretty safe on both counts IMHO, Bachmann seem very reluctant to defend their "territory" at all and whilst Hornby have past form for cutting up rough, they are probably too busy with their LNER fixation and TT:120 to be enraged by anything so mundane as a GWR goods engine right now. 

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Dunsignalling said:

Pretty safe on both counts IMHO, Bachmann seem very reluctant to defend their "territory" at all and whilst Hornby have past form for cutting up rough, they are probably too busy with their LNER fixation and TT:120 to be enraged by anything so mundane as a GWR goods engine right now. 

John

We also have to consider if it was “Hornby” itself that defended its territory or the policy of one man, soon to depart. 

Roy

Edited by Roy Langridge
  • Like 1
  • Agree 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 13/05/2023 at 08:39, Harlequin said:

Let's be happy for the people who will enjoy this model.

Well said. I am certainly looking forward to acquiring one.

The only hassle is the unknown wait time for them to arrive. Recent models have been all over the place regarding the time from announcement to availability (I present the case of the Accurascale Manor, m'lud).

Yours, Mike.

• Friendly/supportive 1

10 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Not just recent models (i refer you to ‘The Johnster v Bachmann 94xx 2016-2021, m’lud)

I'm still waiting for my Lima V2 ordered about 1980!

Probably still got the handwritten receipt from Hattons. They even have a mention of it on the website.

https://www.hattons.co.uk/14910/lima_l205130b_class_v2_2_6_2_4771_green_arrow_lner_light_green/stockdetail

Jason

• Funny 2

4 hours ago, KingEdwardII said:

Recent models have been all over the place regarding the time from announcement to availability (I present the case of the Accurascale Manor, m'lud).

I don't disagree with the point you are making but I do not think you have chosen a good example to illustrate it. Accurascale are very good at explaining/communicating delivery timescale changes - so not 'all over the place' rather an explained rescheduling. 

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Pteremy said:

Accurascale are very good at explaining/communicating delivery timescale changes

They are good at explaining - unlike some others - but that does not get away from a very long time from announce to availability, much longer than originally envisaged. These long delays do not give the model railway industry a good reputation. In some other industries, such delays would cause investigation by the authorities (I worked in the IT industry where any pre-announcements had to be carefully handled to avoid accusations of market manipulation).

Yours, Mike.

• Moderators
55 minutes ago, KingEdwardII said:

These long delays do not give the model railway industry a good reputation. In some other industries, such delays would cause investigation by the authorities

If I knew of a stockist of Sense of Proportion I'd have passed the suggestion on where to get one from.

• Funny 7

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, KingEdwardII said:

They are good at explaining - unlike some others - but that does not get away from a very long time from announce to availability, much longer than originally envisaged. These long delays do not give the model railway industry a good reputation. In some other industries, such delays would cause investigation by the authorities (I worked in the IT industry where any pre-announcements had to be carefully handled to avoid accusations of market manipulation).

Yours, Mike.

It's the real world I'm afraid and it's not the one wearing rose-tinted spectacles.  If your product is tooled and manufactured bya d factory that yu don't own and which happens to be on the other su ide of the world there are myriad things not in the brand names control and outside all taht there remains teh real world.

The miracle is that we still manage to get some extremely impressive models at not unreasonable prices for the level and intricacy of detail they contain and the distance they have to travel to reach us.  Maybe we should go back to the 1950/60s and model railways in the way it used to be done if we don't like the way it is now?

• Agree 3