Sonic Models unveils 4mm OO Gauge 20T VIX Ferry Van

AY Mod

On 12/05/2023 at 13:00, Southernman46 said:

They look OK .............

Could anyone throw any light on the basis for the liveries for S4301-03 & S4301-04 - checked all the usual sources but never seen that style of data panel with the "Through to continent" etc livery ?

To answer my own Q .................... having done some research. There are very few photos in existence that I could locate. This one being potentially a publicity shot

The liveries represented by the two versions above are correct for these vehicle from their initial introduction in 1962 until about 1966 when the Hfs data panels were replaced by the 21RIV 70BR 214-0xxx-x continental numbering system from 1966.

This livery wasn't done by Rapido and fits in nicely with all you early diesel & late steam modellers ........................

BR VIX's with HFs data panels.jpg

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3

15 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

Let's give these guys some support they might just decide to do the APCM PVV Cement van next ...................

Well as they seem to have got the Ferry Link logo the right size and shape I thought I would add to my Rapido plain bauxite one, even though they are unlikely visitors to North Devon in the mid 1960s. 

As for 'scaling up' having done all the research etc. I can see the logic - and hope that RevolutioN consider the same for their Class 120 DMU idc. 

I'm a Railway Operator not a Railway Engineer - I mostly like my fish already fried 😁

Have tried one yonks ago in RTR butchery / Plasticard creativity though ........... Rear left with L to R, Ford Palvan / Minnow / DEMU Engine carrier & Pilchard.

DSC03978.JPG

Edited by Southernman46
  • Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

• RMweb Gold

My Sonic VIX arrived just now, not run it at all yet, but here are some comparison photos with the Rapido offering, both have their strengths:

Rapido top, Sonic bottom:

IMG_3420.jpeg.7caa2d09bae97ebc47be54f216a7f157.jpegIMG_3419.jpeg.fc75770e8604fbc5ad373ae79cdd294f.jpegIMG_3418.jpeg.d11ad8dc0b92518c8bfa7ff4bc984848.jpeg

SoniIMG_3422.jpeg.b4b337f1efc1e199e59a23ccfe5f9e23.jpeg

Rapido left, Sonic right:

IMG_3423.jpeg.084706439fa2ac2c0f2f32011416ec75.jpeg

Some of the detail on the Sonic version is finer, but for underfloor detail, Rapido wins easily. Not fussed about the opening door so not an issue here for me with Sonic not having one. 

Sonic has roof ribs that are not present on the Rapido version. Photos of the prototype don't particularly show them, so not sure if they should be there - my photos do exagerate them as they are quite fine.

When I got the Sonic one out of its box I was struck by how good the red looked, then got out the Rapido version and thought the red looked more pink - I had thought it looked ok before. Will have to compare with some other stock as I don't know which is better, both are ok.

Overall, they will sit ok together and I would buy more from either.

Roy

IMG_3421.jpeg

Edited by Roy Langridge
Clarity
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 4
  • Informative/Useful 8

Those Rapido ones look epic underneath, but I would question 'why?'. Personally I'm not bothered with my models how they look on the bottom as long as the underframe detail is decent side-on. You would've thought that level of detail underneath must cost in terms of labour and parts. I would rather less underneath if it reduced the retail prices.

Very nice 'though, no doubt...

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Gold

I think the need for underframe detail depends on the angle that you view the model at. I often run my layout at eye-level, the extra detail is then noticeable, if you are looking down, it is irrelevant.

Roy

• Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1

3 hours ago, Roy Langridge said:

I think the need for underframe detail depends on the angle that you view the model at. I often run my layout at eye-level, the extra detail is then noticeable, if you are looking down, it is irrelevant.

Roy

Similarly internal detail - my attic has a large window and in good light everything inside e.g. a passenger coach is clearly visible.

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Has anybody seen a decent top down shot to confirm the status of the roof ribs?

A straight top down shot won't tell you what you need. However a top three-quarter shot shows them better. They're not particularly deep and are more evident in a pic like this rather than flat lighting. The research notes for the model show that the model surveyed had weld seams in these positions (nothing in that regard had been changed since coming out of service) and this was replicated. The result is a little more prominent than anticipated but I don't see it, in light of the picture evidence I've seen, as anything too offensive.

Sonic VIX 5.jpg

Sonic v Rapido 2.jpg

As with any duplicates there are strengths and weaknesses to each and the best model would be an amalgam of the two.

• Like 7
  • Agree 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

A straight top down shot won't tell you what you need. However a top three-quarter shot shows them better. They're not particularly deep and are more evident in a pic like this rather than flat lighting. The research notes for the model show that the model surveyed had weld seams in these positions (nothing in that regard had been changed since coming out of service) and this was replicated. The result is a little more prominent than anticipated but I don't see it, in light of the picture evidence I've seen, as anything too offensive.

Sonic VIX 5.jpg

Sonic v Rapido 2.jpg

As with any duplicates there are strengths and weaknesses to each and the best model would be an amalgam of the two.

In that case the ribs are coming off.

Also, who's flying crate is the right size?

Mike.

• Moderators
18 minutes ago, Railfreight1998 said:

They definitely had roof ribs.

No; they're seams rather than ribs. A rib would be an overlaid strip.

image.png

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

3 hours ago, AY Mod said:

No; they're seams rather than ribs. A rib would be an overlaid strip.

image.png

I expect that perfectionists will say that they are too prominent - but I think that this photo shows what they have tried to reproduce. I am certainly not going to loose any sleep over them. (And in the rule 1 world, given the numbering of the 2 I have, I can imagine the slight difference in roof styles is a difference between the Pressed Steel and Ashford built lots.)

• Agree 2

If the roof detail is the major issue then can I make the observation that seams or welds were neither modelled or represented on the Rapido version and I for one certainly aren't planning a scribing session 😉

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
On 13/05/2023 at 11:30, Pteremy said:

It would be helpful to have slightly more detailed time ranges for the different liveries

No response as yet and still showing era 7 and 8 on Rails web site.