Sonic Models unveils 4mm OO Gauge 20T VIX Ferry Van

AY Mod

• Moderators

Sonic unveils 4mm OO Gauge 20T VIX Ferry Van

SONIC LOGO.jpg

Sonic Models, have today announced their new OO Gauge model, the 20T VIX Ferry Van.

Sonic have been working on the project for a number of years, ever since they begun work on the N gauge version which has been produced for the N Gauge Society.

MG_5274.jpg

MG_5280.jpg

The OO Gauge version is available from the exclusive retailer Rails of Sheffield

The models are in stock now and available for immediate despatch.

Ten versions have been produced including liveries in BR Bauxite, Railfreight and Civil Engineers.

ferry van copy (1).jpg

image.png

Vans are priced at £39.95 each.

Features include:

• Separately fitted detailing parts including handrails

• Underframe detail

• High quality livery application

• NEM coupling pockets with small tension locks fitted

• Turned metal wheels

•  Sprung buffers

MG_5281.jpgMG_5275.jpgMG_5242.jpgMG_5240.jpgMG_5236.jpgMG_5290.jpg

• Like 5

We are aware it wasn't long ago that another manufacturer (Rapido Trains UK) released this model in OO gauge. However, unfortunately Sonic were already well underway with their project and couldn't cancel the production. They therefore made the decision to let Rapido sell through before announcing theirs, hence the reason the models are in stock and available now. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2
  • Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

The fact that we are struggling to tell on first glance whether it's an extension of the Rapido run is high praise for Sonic Models and bodes well for future releases. I won't be getting either as out of region / era but the Rapido one is very good when I have seen it in the flesh. Obviously, it's shame for both with the duplication but good high quality models will always sell when fairly priced which this is at first sight.

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

My guess is Sonic was involved with the R&D for the N Gauge Society VIX and decided to produce one in OO off the back of that research. Fare-play to Sonic for holding back until Rapido had cleared their version from the warehouse.

14 minutes ago, HExpressD said:

Not the same tooling then by the sounds of it, I'd be interested in a side by side as they look almost identical in the images I've seen 

I would hope they look almost identical given they're both based on the same prototype!

Steven.

• Like 4
  • Agree 4

Looks excellent - much better than the old Triang one, which if I remember correctly had a peculiar arrangement of swivelling axles to get round the corners. 

I believe the RTC had one of these vans, but so heavily modified it's unlikely to be produced as a special.  All the same, forty quid for a four-wheel van.  I think I shall pass on this one.

A shame about the duplication, I hope it doesn't impact sales for either manufacturer too significantly. 

I am looking forward to the N Gauge Society model personally, interesting to find out it has been produced by Sonic.

Roy

3 minutes ago, Steven B said:

My guess is Sonic was involved with the R&D for the N Gauge Society VIX and decided to produce one in OO off the back of that research. Fare-play to Sonic for holding back until Rapido had cleared their version from the warehouse.

I would hope they look almost identical given they're both based on the same prototype!

Steven.

Hi Steven,

Sonic actually produced the N Gauge Society's N Gauge version and yes research, design and development ran parallel on both the N and OO version.

• Informative/Useful 2

They look OK .............

Could anyone throw any light on the basis for the liveries for S4301-03 & S4301-04 - checked all the usual sources but never seen that style of data panel with the "Through to continent" etc livery ?

• RMweb Premium
47 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

Crikey, Hornby 40 (?) year old tooling 1, Sonic brand new tooling 0

How many times do you see them with open doors?  Maybe useful for a staged scene  but not at all critical if you want to run them . Shame about the duplication , especially with a small company . Hope they sell for them OK

• Like 1
  • Agree 7

• RMweb Gold
55 minutes ago, Graham108 said:

Crikey, Hornby 40 (?) year old tooling 1, Sonic brand new tooling 0

Personal opinion I know, but I'd reverse that, opening doors are gimmicky and unnecessary IMHO.

One difference on the models is the ventilator slide rods are separate on the Sonic version, moulded solid on Rápido.

Mike.

• Like 2
  • Agree 11

3 hours ago, Oliver Rails said:

They therefore made the decision to let Rapido sell through before announcing theirs, hence the reason the models are in stock and available now. 

Well that's thoroughly decent of them - more of that please. 

Not a product I'm interested in but my A5 is excellent so I can only wish them success and hope for more in the future.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Interesting announcement.  I have bought some of the Rapido versions but I'm tempted to get some of these as well as you can never have too many wagons, and looking at the images they will sit happily next to one another in a mixed 1970s freight.

Competition in wagons, even relatively niche wagons like the VIX ferryvan, isn't quite as bad as in locomotives.

• Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Interesting to note that the OO scale 'spin off' as it were has made it to retail before the originally intended N scale version for the NGS (due in a few weeks apparently, my credit car awaits the call...)

Actually it is also interesting to look at these new OO scale versions as it gives an upscaled sample of what I await in the smaller scale.

• RMweb Gold

On RoS web site it shows all of them to be either era 7 or era 8. As they were introduced in 1962 it would be good to confirm the era of those for sale.

Have all got TOPS panels for example.