Locomotive Spares for Modellers (Rather than for warranty)

I don't think this is covered anywhere else. As the range of AC locomotives increases the range of detailing parts included in those locomotives increases too! Some of us modellers (shock horror!) would I'm sure like to customise our locos and modify them to represent other locos. Accurascale has been very good in the past with supplying parts from their wagons for models to use elsewhere and I was wondering if this is likely to expand to include parts from locos. Obviously it is unfair to expect items for free, can items be requested for a nominal fee? 

Off the top of my head items I would like to be able to buy would include:

• Replacement Buffer beams - as both the Deltic and Class 37 models feature buffer beams as a separate part (clever idea!) it would be great to be able to have 2 sets per loco enabling them to be swapped from fully detailed to operational if required.
  • Loco buffers the buffers on the Class 37s in particular are without the best I've ever seen from anyone, would have many uses! 
  • Bogie parts to enable modellers to customise there 37s (and 55s) to other examples with different combinations of cast and fabricated bogies. 
  • Same for Class 37 boiler ports and exhaust plates. 

Just a few quick ideas of the top of my head!

Obviously this is "above and beyond" what is required of a manufacture but with both the big suppliers spare ready available these days I wondered if AC could beat them in that regard too! 

Kind Regards,

Bruce 

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

12 minutes ago, D400 said:

I don't think this is covered anywhere else. As the range of AC locomotives increases the range of detailing parts included in those locomotives increases too! Some of us modellers (shock horror!) would I'm sure like to customise our locos and modify them to represent other locos. Accurascale has been very good in the past with supplying parts from their wagons for models to use elsewhere and I was wondering if this is likely to expand to include parts from locos. Obviously it is unfair to expect items for free, can items be requested for a nominal fee? 

• Replacement Buffer beams - as both the Deltic and Class 37 models feature buffer beams as a separate part (clever idea!) it would be great to be able to have 2 sets per loco enabling them to be swapped from fully detailed to operational if required.
  • Loco buffers the buffers on the Class 37s in particular are without the best I've ever seen from anyone, would have many uses! 
  • Bogie parts to enable modellers to customise there 37s (and 55s) to other examples with different combinations of cast and fabricated bogies. 

Obviously this is "above and beyond" what is required of a manufacture but with both the big suppliers spare ready available these days I wondered if AC could beat them in that regard too! 

Kind Regards,

Bruce 

It's a good call but I would query what a 'nominal' fee is. Spares cost a disproportionate amount of money to inventory and supply, so it would be good to understand what sort of charge would be needed to make this viable.

• Agree 2

I hope somebody finally sees a light!

Hornby are near useless most of the time.

Dapol pretty good.

Heljan reasonable on occasions.

Bachmann, relatively speaking are brilliant.

I had asked for A/S spares over a 6-month period and they continued to look into it.

Guys, this is a serious issue, and the modeller who actually uses them should be supported as well - not just those who keep them in the box for 5 years, then hope to cash in later on.

Unusual little rant for me, but all is true.

Al.

• RMweb Gold
5 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

Dapol pretty good.

I had asked for A/S spares over a 6-month period and they continued to look into it.

Guys, this is a serious issue, and the modeller who actually uses them should be supported as well - not just those who keep them in the box for 5 years, then hope to cash in later on.

Al.

For the sake of clarity we do stock extensive spares which are readily available shortly after main stocks come into hand. We’re always happy to supply parts where required we just don’t currently have an option to ‘sell’ parts 

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

58 minutes ago, McC said:

For the sake of clarity we do stock extensive spares which are readily available shortly after main stocks come into hand. We’re always happy to supply parts where required we just don’t currently have an option to ‘sell’ parts 

It is so refreshing guys to have a manufacturer that not only has a comprehensive parts catalog for every single model it manufactures but to be able to supply them in a timely manner. I have had occasion to request two small parts for a class 37 and these were sent without any request for payment (although it was offered). 

I think the idea (in principle) for a parts catalog is a good one as there will be the inevitable 'loss' on occasion. 

There is nothing more frustrating that trying to source a part and not being able to get one. Thankfully, Accurascale appear to have this one sorted out as well.

Top job. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, atom3624 said:

As stated, mine was never resolved - bogie frame and chains for a Deltic - so I sold it.

If I contact Bachmann for a Class 47 bogie frame, they'll have one in the post within 24 hours.

Sorry, but true.

Al.

Can you DM me the ticket number as assuming it was a warranty issue that should have been resolved absolutely no issue once the parts were in stock. 

• RMweb Gold
6 hours ago, atom3624 said:

As stated, mine was never resolved - bogie frame and chains for a Deltic - so I sold it.

If I contact Bachmann for a Class 47 bogie frame, they'll have one in the post within 24 hours.

Sorry, but true.

Al.

But there are plenty of spares that Bachmann cannot provide you aren’t there? I have drawn a blank on at least three occasions when I have tried. 

Look at their spares website and you can see just how limited spares are for some models. 

Roy

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
10 hours ago, atom3624 said:

Dapol pretty good.

Al.

We’re you looking for replacement parts for damaged defective parts on your AC model or for extra parts to carry out a conversion or other project?

Darius

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

But there are plenty of spares that Bachmann cannot provide you aren’t there? I have drawn a blank on at least three occasions when I have tried. 

Look at their spares website and you can see just how limited spares are for some models. 

Roy

I'm certain there are limitations, but generally Bachmann have always helped me, or been able to offer indirect alternatives.

Al.

Have too say the Spares Service run by Bachmann is exceptionally good.  I ordered on Tuesday and they've arrived today, however, they've ben in business since 1990 and, as you rightly say, they've accumulated a vast catalogue of spare parts as have Hornby who, unfortunately, don't run a spares parts service like the Bachmann service. 

• RMweb Gold
36 minutes ago, Suzy Sulzer said:

Have too say the Spares Service run by Bachmann is exceptionally good.  I ordered on Tuesday and they've arrived today, however, they've ben in business since 1990 and, as you rightly say, they've accumulated a vast catalogue of spare parts as have Hornby who, unfortunately, don't run a spares parts service like the Bachmann service. 

Exactly the same as our service :) 

17 hours ago, D400 said:

Kind Regards,

Bruce 

I also hope that @Accurascale build up a spares department where we can buy the parts to 'customise' our fleet , It's not that I'm tight and won't buy models , in fact I put myself out of pocket this week to buy 37027 from Ebay/Peters Spares even though I have it on order with TMC so now I'll be eating bread and jam until payday next Friday lol

As you said , buffer beams and buffers + bogie parts , other Items that would be handy would of course be detailing packs as per the ones that come with the models , split head code box panels and the connecting doors complete with the headlight in the different positions (obviously not doable until A/S release a model with a centre/top mounted lamp) , some of these would be quite handy for me right now so I can change the identity/look of one of the 027s , I would also like to see spare bodyshells/underframes available at some point 

What we have to consider is whether it would actually be financially viable for Accurascale to invest in a vast stock of spares just for it to sit on shelves waiting for people to order although I suspect there will be more people than us interested 

Fingers crossed though

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

I'd second the suggestion for spares, in particular, bogie sideframe mouldings for the 37s!

In the 'old world' I would brutally hack about the bogie frame to produce a crude but effective-ish representation of a Class 37 cast bogie (or add on bits if doing a fabricated one!) - but on a model as detailed & finessed it almost seems a tad criminal to do too much bodging! I'd happily cross the palms with silver for spares like that to make renumbering projects that bit more straightforward! 

Cheers

James

• Like 2

Just for clarification because it seems I didn't make it clear enough, I am not talking of warranty repairs or spare parts repair defects.

I have made plenty of use of Accurascale's warrant service (in particular when trying to reapply bits to my Deltic which fell victim to the carpet monster!)  and there help and service has been excellent - indeed to be given replacements for parts "lost" FOC is much better than the other manufacturer who's spare service is being mentioned in this thread - they would charge. 

BUT, because they charge, I have no issue ordering parts which are not for use to replace bits but to undertake as mentioned modelling tasks such as renumbering. 

2 hours ago, McC said:

Exactly the same as our service :) 

Are you saying Stephen that if I email you a wants list you might be able to help? 

8 minutes ago, James Makin said:

I'd second the suggestion for spares, in particular, bogie sideframe mouldings for the 37s!

In the 'old world' I would brutally hack about the bogie frame to produce a crude but effective-ish representation of a Class 37 cast bogie (or add on bits if doing a fabricated one!) - but on a model as detailed & finessed it almost seems a tad criminal to do too much bodging! I'd happily cross the palms with silver for spares like that to make renumbering projects that bit more straightforward! 

Cheers

James

Funnily enough it was avoiding the same activity that was the first thought that popped into my mind when Accurascale first came on the scene with their Deltic way back at Warley 2018, in fact I asked the then embryonic team if the bogies could be made available as spares for us on "Other EE locomotives". The reply was "Maybe, but we are well aware these bogies are used on other locomotives...😉" - at which point I understood what was being said even then! 

Cheers,

Bruce 

• Like 2