Exclusive NCB wagons from Rapido for BRM/RMweb/World of Railways

AY Mod

I can't be sure about the rest of the country, but in Area 8 the wagon number was prefixed by a one or two letter colliery ID code.

Wagon transfers did take place with many examples coming south as the Durham coalfield was wound down. Most of these were steel , in particular the iron stone hoppers and side tippers. The wooden wagons remained in service until the end at those collieries which had river side loading staithes as these had been specifically designed around the 7 plank end door wagon. The 16 ton steel wagons did the same job but never fully replaced the wooden type.

• RMweb Gold

I think that this is one of the most informative and fascinating threads that I have seen in ten years viewing on RMWeb. It certainly makes me regret that I did not take more interest in these lines in my teenage years (early 70s).

• Agree 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, RedgateModels said:

my problem will be working out a suitable move on Summat Colliery for them, might have to be one or two at a time, that kickback siding next to the coal stage may have to be finally added ........

Such things, as with exchange sidings opens up the question whether a colliery scene is served directly by the big railway or whether it's an internal network.

I'm lucky in that context with the whole of Cannock's pits to look at for scenarios with the blue and black lines forming interlinked facilities.

South Staffs and Cannock Chase map - 5000 lores.jpg

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
40 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Such things, as with exchange sidings opens up the question whether a colliery scene is served directly by the big railway or whether it's an internal network.

I'm lucky in that context with the whole of Cannock's pits to look at for scenarios with the blue and black lines forming interlinked facilities.

what a great map, is it publicly available somewhere?

cheers,

Keith 

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Interesting place, the chemist commented to us that they were importing coal from north America, and the shipping cost to delivery at the docks was less than the rail transfer from the dock to the works. 

Paul

That was typical of some imported coal.  The stuff coming from Australia cost less per ton, including unloading at the UK port, than the cost per ton of the subsequent rail transit to a UK power station.  And even after that that it was still cheaper per ton than the cost of British coal at the pit head from most collieries. 

22 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Speaking as one of those “poor sods”,I wholeheartedly agree. But I have survived. Though even today I do wonder what the long term effects on the natives of Abercwmboi,Mountain Ash,Aberaman and Godreaman (me) were. 
The creation of the NCB was heralded as a bright new dawn for the coal industry but it perpetrated some additional horrors…Aberfan being the obvious ; but just over the hill it created a more insidious one in the form of the Phurnacite Plant. I can vividly recall foggy yellow rotten egg days rolling up the valley towards the back of the house.My late father was manager of the PD pipe works just across the valley so heaven alone knows what the effects on his health were. Passing the plant by train,either by the Vale of Neath line or by the Abercynon branch was to be a Wagnerian Gotterdammerung like experience. Yes.Truly a vision of hell. And that smell..

From what I was told there was never any trouble with flies or other insects for folk libving near 'the Phurnacite'.   All quite believable if you ever saw the effect on a steel wagon body of some grades of cal mixed with rainwater due to the chenmicals leached out of the coal. 

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, tractionman said:

what a great map, is it publicly available somewhere?

Thanks. No, it's one I drew up overlaying key locations and routes over an OS map.

If you wish you can download the higher resolution version of it here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kO4gPDOs_MMF2Z_YrD8aZ_pZh60IjhT9/view?usp=drive_link

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3

• RMweb Gold
52 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Which takes you back to things like coal being taken to a washery - which served several pits - where the move would have been by internal user wagons.  Coal being moved between pits for blending to get the right mix for various grades of coke.  Coal from a pit to a nearby coking plant - and so on.  Lots pof possobilities for internal movement either within a large pit complex or between nearby pits pver an internal railway.

The railway was ever midful of collieries, and others such as steelworks , hanging on to its wagons for internal use. 

• Like 3

• Moderators
21 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I have raised the question for another customer today Geoff. I'll let you know the outcome.

They're trying to work on a fix for overseas customers. I'll come back to you with any news.

• Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

They're trying to work on a fix for overseas customers. I'll come back to you with any news.

Thanks.  I note that Accurascale are also producing similar models.  I have akready ordered a pack of three simalr - black with white lining & lettering.  If I order direct from Accurascale.com, I do not have the problem of extra import charges like items from the UK.

• Moderators
3 minutes ago, RedgateModels said:

They are just trucks right?  😉😉🤣

Some days even generic is too specific.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, Zunnan said:

I wonder who's doing Griff RCH wagons, and I wonder where I could get a 14" Andrew Barclay from...🤤

Griff RCH 1923 spec wagons were done by Bachmann as a special for the Midland Railway Society a few years ago. The Society has sold out of them - the code is 37-101S if you want to look out for second-hand examples. I regret to say that the livery and number are based on a photo of a Hurst Nelson 12-ton wagon of 1905 not a 1923 spec wagon [K. Turton, First Collection, p. 62]. I'm not sure what photo the Rapido wagon is based on but there is a photo of No. 1219, a 5-plank end-door wagon, in similar livery, taken during or after WWII [K. Turton, Thirteenth Collection, p. 101]. 

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, RedgateModels said:

They are just trucks right?  😉😉🤣

The trouble is, the more you learn about them, and the various RCH specifications and individual manufacturers' versions of building to them, the more you are aware that they are not 'just trucks' any more than coaches are just coaches or locos are just locos.  Perhaps it is better not to know some things...

We all do the best we can to satisfy our own standards, and over time the variety of models available RTR increases and becomes more accurately detailed, all good stuff, but our standards are also raised over time as we learn more and become more aware of what is correct and what is not, and what inaccuracies we can live with and what not, a sort of Rule 1 arms race.  I am quite happy to use generic 7-plankers as internal users at my colliery, actually a couple of made up Coopercrafts that I picked up cheap at a show, as I'm not a member of The Elucidated Brethren by any means, in fact barely paid up as a member of the Union of Disassociated and Sausage-fingered Bodgerigars.  Aye, but there's the rub, for what models may come in  that sleep of RMWeb/Rapido commissions must give us pause (you didn't know Stratford Bill was a modeller, did you?). 

Of course, I want all my models to be perfect scale replicas of reality, but the reality is a compromise.  00 is a compromise, and I don't want to open that wormcan again, my layout is compressed and has unrealistic curves that I consider reaslistic because they are not setrack, my poor eyesight and increasing disconnect between hands and their steadiness enforce the use of tension lock couplings, I have coaches which are from Airfix toolings that are half a century old and show it, especially below the solebars, and until recently ran a Hornby 2721 that was pretty much incorrect in every dimension sitting on top of a Baccy 57xx chassis that didn't even match the splashers (admittedly worked up somewhat; I could never have lived with that tapered chimney.  It was the oversized bunker hanging off the back that eventually irritated me to the point of withdrawing the loco from service).  I have a Mainline toad with moulded handrails, which will probably be retired when I buy a new Rapido replacement, and the Rapido replacement will make me unhappy with the Hornbys, see what I mean about an arms race...

We all do the best we can, within our abilities and budgets.  I want to do better, but I don't lose sleep over it and I'm quite proud of some of my stuff.

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

GW engines are all the same except for the differences.  Churchward standardisation paradoxically meant that the visual relationship between boiler, running plate, and wheels was different on virtually every class within the standard range, which makes life hard for modellers.  You can't make a Saint out of a Hall just by putting bigger wheels and a different cab on it...

• Like 1

These wagons are brilliant. i have no use for them. But they example a hobby in transition. No longer limited to 'take it or leave it, this is what we make', instead an example of something tailored to a specific sphere of interest. More please, more, more, more.

• Like 6

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Pteremy said:

they example a hobby in transition. No longer limited to 'take it or leave it, this is what we make', instead an example of something tailored to a specific sphere of interest

I wouldn't claim them to be anything revolutionary or innovative, just utilisation of an excellent new item to meet a generally topical, but niche, interest area.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold
23 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I wouldn't claim them to be anything revolutionary or innovative, just utilisation of an excellent new item to meet a generally topical, but niche, interest area.

Yes, the recent industrials from Pi, Rapido, Hattons & Hornby have fed a market that many wished would open up years ago when Dapol released the Austerity. It took a long time but it’s been worth it! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

9 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Thanks. No, it's one I drew up overlaying key locations and routes over an OS map.

If you wish you can download the higher resolution version of it here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kO4gPDOs_MMF2Z_YrD8aZ_pZh60IjhT9/view?usp=drive_link

Great work.

Thanks very much Andy.  That is a really useful document.  Much appreciated 

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, AY Mod said:

I know what you’re getting at, Andy, but I doubt this area is niche any more, thanks to all the little industrial locos we have now.

14 hours ago, PaulRhB said:

Yes, the recent industrials from Pi, Rapido, Hattons & Hornby have fed a market that many wished would open up years ago when Dapol released the Austerity. It took a long time but it’s been worth it! 

Absolutely! The Victory, Hunslet !8", Barclay 14", Barclay 16", Pecket W4, Pecket B2, the Austerity you mentioned and soon the Dapol Hawthorn Leslies. That’s not to mention the Janus, Class 14s and RR Sentinels of four- and six wheeled varieties. I can sit back now and await lists of all the ones I’ve forgotten. Jinties and Panniers for a start!

• Like 1