Exclusive NCB wagons from Rapido for BRM/RMweb/World of Railways

AY Mod

• RMweb Gold
58 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

And remember, if (like me), you're too lazy to build the actual colliery, you can have just as much fun modelling the exchange sidings!

Or some sort of collieryesque/industrial  nether region, just to the left of somewhere.......

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Beddau Coke Ovens had 7-plank internal users in the 80s, though I couldn't swear which RCH spec they were to. 

The kinky track in the Mountain Ash photo was fairly normal for that system; much of it would not be believed if it were reproduced on an exhibition layout.  The best track they had was the section of the GWR Pontypool-Aberdare main line that the NCB used; the mix of internal user 7-plankers and 16tonners on the other side of the river in the photo are on it.  The Cwmpennar branch, which I drove an Austerity Hunslet up on one occasion in the 70s, was completely buried in slurry; nobody could remember ever having seen the actual track, it was just sort of assumed to be there...

That such a system was still in operation as late as it was, a complete unpreserved working steam railway, was miraculous, and I loved it!  Proper steam, fllthy, leaking everywhere, clanking and squealing in protest at being asked to do any work, dripping from strained tanks, semi-derelict, and absolutely glorious!!!  There were other extensive systems, Maesteg for example, but that was all Austerity Hunslets and lacked the biodiversity, and the backdrops, of Mountain Ash or the sheer heavy industry metal brutality of Abercwmboi Phurnacite, a vision of hell with the olfactory presence to match...

Another good one was Abersychan, but this was more like a self contained branch line than a system.  Those big Barclays could put on a pretty good show, though, proper thugs!

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Beddau Coke Ovens had 7-plank internal users in the 80s, though I couldn't swear which RCH spec they were to. 

The kinky track in the Mountain Ash photo was fairly normal for that system; much of it would not be believed if it were reproduced on an exhibition layout.  The best track they had was the section of the GWR Pontypool-Aberdare main line that the NCB used; the mix of internal user 7-plankers and 16tonners on the other side of the river in the photo are on it.  The Cwmpennar branch, which I drove an Austerity Hunslet up on one occasion in the 70s, was completely buried in slurry; nobody could remember ever having seen the actual track, it was just sort of assumed to be there...

That such a system was still in operation as late as it was, a complete unpreserved working steam railway, was miraculous, and I loved it!  Proper steam, fllthy, leaking everywhere, clanking and squealing in protest at being asked to do any work, dripping from strained tanks, semi-derelict, and absolutely glorious!!!  There were other extensive systems, Maesteg for example, but that was all Austerity Hunslets and lacked the biodiversity, and the backdrops, of Mountain Ash or the sheer heavy industry metal brutality of Abercwmboi Phurnacite, a vision of hell with the olfactory presence to match...

Another good one was Abersychan, but this was more like a self contained branch line than a system.  Those big Barclays could put on a pretty good show, though, proper thugs!

I grew up with that vision….and breathed it’s putrid air. But the industrial loco at Mountain Ash that sticks in my mind is Lord Camrose viewed IIRC from a passing Abercynon auto train circa 1950-60. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Thanks Paul, I guess there would only be an issue if a wagon got out so markings we’re probably useful on wagons in decent condition similar to the external ones but irrelevant on others of clearly different types so they didn’t bother? Or maybe those wagons were brought in, or hidden away until, after the big push on marking up. No doubt some anecdote may clear it up. 

I doubt BR would have pressed the point for wagons that did not get near to exchange sidings or other places at which they interfaced with the big railway.  Steelworks 'torpedo' wagons, for example, are internal users but you never saw the x on them.  I'm pretty sure I've seen photos of NCB trains, NCB loco/internal user wagons/NCB brake van, running over BR running lines at places in the Northeast of England (where there were NCB passenger trains running on BR running line metals.  There was nothing like that in South Wales, though NCB/Steelworks locos and stock ran on to BR-owned exchange sidings and similar.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Ian Hargrave said:

I grew up with that vision….and breathed it’s putrid air. But the industrial loco at Mountain Ash that sticks in my mind is Lord Camrose viewed IIRC from a passing Abercynon auto train circa 1950-60. 

I can remember Lord Camrose shunting Abercwmboi in the 70s, visible from the main road.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, MarkSG said:

On a more relevant note, how long did these survive in service?

They survived surprisingly late in some places. I'm sure I've seen more recent dates than this but if you look to the left of the locomotive poking from under the screens you can see a raft of them in this view taken in 1980 at Baddesley Colliery

• Like 6
  • Informative/Useful 1

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Zunnan said:

They survived surprisingly late in some places. I'm sure I've seen more recent dates than this but if you look to the left of the locomotive poking from under the screens you can see a raft of them in this view taken in 1980 at Baddesley Colliery

That's a great spot and a surprising one too.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, The Johnster said:

Abercwmboi Phurnacite, a vision of hell

...................... that caused the burning mountain behind it. So much of the hot cinders from the making of the smokeless fuel (hah!) got carried by the prevailing westerly wind and onto the 'hill' alongside, which said 'hill' was a mountain of slag with a fair percentage of coal within it - inevitably it caught fire and was (maybe still is) burning underground. Too big and too deep to quench it.

I went past it on a number of occasions as part of my site visits in the area, and I lived to tell the tale. It really was truly awful especially for the poor sods who lived nearby. It was foisted on them and locals did ask the big-wigs at the time of the proposal if those living in Virginia Waters would like to have it instead! Guess what ........

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Bit earlier, 1962 but a great image by John Wiltshire. Sadly, his son Andy has only recently passed away. 

https://flic.kr/p/SAJfJ1

Copyright-Peter Brabham. 

Rob. 

• Like 9

• RMweb Gold
34 minutes ago, Philou said:

...................... that caused the burning mountain behind it. So much of the hot cinders from the making of the smokeless fuel (hah!) got carried by the prevailing westerly wind and onto the 'hill' alongside, which said 'hill' was a mountain of slag with a fair percentage of coal within it - inevitably it caught fire and was (maybe still is) burning underground. Too big and too deep to quench it.

I went past it on a number of occasions as part of my site visits in the area, and I lived to tell the tale. It really was truly awful especially for the poor sods who lived nearby. It was foisted on them and locals did ask the big-wigs at the time of the proposal if those living in Virginia Waters would like to have it instead! Guess what ........

Cheers,

Philip

Max Boyce, serious for once, wrote a pretty good song about it, but I can't remember how it went now.

There were several 'burning mountains' in South Wales, usually spoil heaps that had spontaneously combusted and smouldered away for years until some oxygen got at them, at which point things became volcanic.  Often the only warning was steam rising from the tip after rain.  Abercwmboi was unusual in that the spoil had been ignited by sparks from the conflagrations across the road, an external rather than internal source.  IIRC it was dug out with some difficulty about twenty years ago. 

There are still big fires ongoing in some undergound workings as well.

A more interesting but less well known one (you can see why the railway kept it under their hats) was on, I mean in, the embankment leading on to Landore Viaduct from the Llansamlet side.  There was, is, all sorts of unpleasantness in the ground here from the erstwhile copper works that populated the area before my time, and they planted fir trees to make the viewl less hideous, which would grow to about fifteen feet, then the roots tapped into the poisoned sub-soil and they'd have to plant new ones ('they' being Swansea Councll).  It was thought that the embankment fire started with a German incendiary during the big raid on Swansea, but it burned undetected for many years, slowly destroying the embankment and the rear face of the abutment from within.  It all hit the fan in 1974, and the SWML was closed between Port Talbot and Landore for about six weeks, during which time trains terminated and ran around at Briton Ferry, a yard that never expected to see air conditioned restaurant car expresses...  I had a couple of Sunday jobs with down Paddington-Port Talbot trains, covering for Landore men who couldn't get to them, during this hiatus.  The fire had to be dug out by people in NBC suits.

The new sports centre, Swansea FC's ground, and a busines park occupy this poisoned area now, and nobody digs it...

• Informative/Useful 3

2 hours ago, AY Mod said:

That's a great spot and a surprising one too.

I have vivid memories of seeing a couple of rotten wagons being dismantled and burned at a colliery which was being cleared with huge front loaders and HAA hoppers. Theres not many in relatively short distance from Sutton Coldfield, and even fewer which ceased production recently enough for me to remember the clearing trains. I've a feeling the last of Baddesleys wood bodied internal user wagons may have 'survived' rotting away in a quiet corner until 1989, otherwise I'd probably have been a bit young to really remember seeing them dismantled; but its likely it was earlier. Baddesley was a favourite for my uncle to take me to as my grandparents used to take us to the Rose Inn at Baxterley regularly, so I kind of had a hunch to check photos of Baddesley and Birch Coppice.

I may have been a bit greedy in ordering a few No.1s, that really didn't take much persuasion with their markings rather typical of this neck of the woods. Perfect for Holly Bank No3, but William Francis would be even better! 😉

• Like 2

20 hours ago, rapidoandy said:

Joined up thinking? It will never catch on!

Perfect for our NCB livery Hunslets, 15xx and the forthcoming Y7. Possibly some other stuff in the future too ;-)

Absolutely Andy.

Just ordered three No 1s and have to say I believe you have very much underestimated your market place.  I think No 1 should have been a run of at least 500, but perhaps you next release of a set of three with random numbers will be equally as useful.  Those 16" Hunslets need stuff to shunt !!!

• Agree 2

• Moderators
4 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I believe you have very much underestimated your market place.  I think No 1 should have been a run of at least 500, but perhaps you next release of a set of three with random numbers will be equally as useful. 

It all depends on local prevalence; the Midlands area seems to have predominantly 'large cross'. We'll see how it goes but it wouldn't be a problem to do a further run if the demand is there.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, AY Mod said:

The camera doesn't lie.

1501 @ Coventry Colliery in 1964

Taken on June 10, 1964

slide-scans-February-16-915-1509-shunting-at-Coventry-Colliery-flickr

So that's 1501 and 1509 caught in the act.

It's almost as though there was some joined up thinking with the Rapido Hunslet and the 15xx.  Just sayin'.

Those pics are rare as that's Coventry (Kerseley) colliery

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

On 18/07/2023 at 19:02, AY Mod said:

So the boss comes to me and says "These Rapido wagons are really good aren't they?". "Yes, as good as we've ever seen", says I. "I really like that Andy chap and their set-up; I'd like to do some wagons, what do you think?".

I looked at various PO wagons relevant to the middle of nowhere in Lincolnshire where our offices are and just felt that they may have some relevance to us but less so to the wider market who just happen to have other interests than a small market town in Lincolnshire. I wanted something actually 'useful' and with wider appeal. OK, yes; something I'd buy. That's not the best rationale to apply but I easily justified it by telling myself, and the boss, that so many people have little industrial locos and micros upwards to run them on and as so many have histories in the mining industry that it was obvious; internal user wagons to lend more credibility to these pits and not just one, but a variety. Yes, we've seen similar before but not to the standard of Rapido's offerings and the 1907 RCH wagon range fits the bill perfectly.

Now I could have gone for something tagged up for working a colliery that suits me but I thought it eminently more sensible to waft the generic mindset at these to create a variety that could be seen around different pits around the country; the modeller could, of course, add or change further markings if they wish but a lot of these just ran without a specific colliery name applied.

I knocked up some draft designs and had a chat with @rapidoandy who further refined the designs and presented us with some delicious renders.

Rapido Exclusive Pack of 4 Wagons (OO).png

Yeah! Brilliant! We couldn't turn down the chance of doing these as an exclusive; they really float my boat. I hope it does for some of you too.

The liveries are exclusive to us and strictly limited to just 60 of each decoration. They are available on a first come, first served basis with delivery anticipated in early 2024. There are two ways to order:
1. Purchase your wagon now! This is the only way to guarantee getting your hands on one of these Wagons. Delivery expected early 2024.

https://worldofrailways.hooluh.co.uk/wagons

OR

2. Register your interest for free. Once the wagons arrive in stock we'll email you with a link to our website to make the purchase. You will have a two-week window to make the purchase, after which the wagons will become available to the general public. Use this link to register your interest.

https://mail.worldofrailways.hooluh.co.uk/p/7IRH-492/rapido-limited-edition-wagons-interest

1 side pic.png

Wagon Description: 

Rapido Trains UK’s recent releases of open wagons are the best that we have seen come to the OO gauge market in terms of accuracy, finesse of detail – particularly to the underframe – and the variations catered for. This Railway Clearing House design of 1907 could be seen across many private owners through to nationalisation, with many extending their lives further into internal usage with industrial users.

Rapido’s models feature the highest standard of injection moulded parts married with etched components and superbly free-running wheels in brass bearings. Supplied with tension lock couplings in NEM pockets, these may be easily removed if you wish to use more accurate couplings.

These World of Railways/Rapido Limited Edition wagons are branded with characteristic National Coal Board internal user markings, with their large white crosses clearly denoting they are for use on colliery networks and sidings away from the main line. This makes them a ‘must-have’ for anyone modelling collieries or their sidings in the post-WW2 period, ideally suited to the healthy number of industrial locomotives that have come to market in recent years in colliery liveries.

The markings chosen are based on typical representatives from around the country but are sufficiently generic to be not pinned down to one location. Collieries often had a mix of interpretations of the style which were locally painted which means you could add your own colliery name and easily change running numbers. There are four to choose from with different running numbers meaning you can start a rake of wagons off with variety and interest; ideal if you are buying all four models.

2 side pic.png

3 side pic.png

Rapido Exclusive Wagon No.4 (OO).png

Take your pick; bag yours now and look forward for something for your industrials to do some work with.

Individual wagons - £29.99 + P&P or £114.99 + P&P for the set of four.

164954_rapidoexclusivepackof4wagonsoo1.p

The wagons could be the basis of industrial user wagons-here's examples from Lincoln.

Lincoln Wagon and Engine Company.GIF

PO Searby Market Rasen.JPG

• Like 1

• Moderators
39 minutes ago, jrg1 said:

The wagons could be the basis of industrial user wagons-here's examples from Lincoln.

Lincoln Wagon and Engine Company.GIF

PO Searby Market Rasen.JPG

Maybe for the future, but I wouldn't see them selling as quickly as these are.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 18/07/2023 at 10:02, AY Mod said:

for the set of four.

164954_rapidoexclusivepackof4wagonsoo1.p

Well with my ‘Black Diamonds’ project it was rude not to 😉 

Maybe we can resurrect ‘Britmod’ as ‘NCBmod’ 😁

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, NHY 581 said:

Oh dear......

OOPs - maybe something for the black sheep of the layout family?

16 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

And remember, if (like me), you're too lazy to build the actual colliery, you can have just as much fun modelling the exchange sidings!

Far better I reckon for a branch to a land sale site, or a washery (no need to build the washery) or a remote tip site such as Nelson Bog.  Not much point in Internal User wagons cluttering up exchange sidings.

• Like 3

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

I reckon for a branch to a land sale site,

We had something quite appealing for a landsale site near a wharf, containerised flats which I'll have a go at sometime. But, to prove your point, the left hand rake is large crossed.

Coal containers at Short Heath (pjs,0736)

Peter Shoesmith 15/06/1965

Copyright John Whitehouse & Geoff Dowling: All rights reserved

Here's a Bagnall on a trip to the wharf.

A Bagnall at work, Holly Bank (pjs,0732)

• Like 9
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
13 hours ago, Philou said:

Cheers,

Philip

Speaking as one of those “poor sods”,I wholeheartedly agree. But I have survived. Though even today I do wonder what the long term effects on the natives of Abercwmboi,Mountain Ash,Aberaman and Godreaman (me) were. 
The creation of the NCB was heralded as a bright new dawn for the coal industry but it perpetrated some additional horrors…Aberfan being the obvious ; but just over the hill it created a more insidious one in the form of the Phurnacite Plant. I can vividly recall foggy yellow rotten egg days rolling up the valley towards the back of the house.My late father was manager of the PD pipe works just across the valley so heaven alone knows what the effects on his health were. Passing the plant by train,either by the Vale of Neath line or by the Abercynon branch was to be a Wagnerian Gotterdammerung like experience. Yes.Truly a vision of hell. And that smell..

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

15 hours ago, The Johnster said:

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/cwmcokeworksinternalwagons - by 1987 they were later RCH designs 7 & 8 plank with oil bearings. And although suitably crossed they don't appear to have been painted when in internal use - which is quite usual. 

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/cwmcokeworks

Interesting place, the chemist commented to us that they were importing coal from north America, and the shipping cost to delivery at the docks was less than the rail transfer from the dock to the works. 

Paul

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

29 minutes ago, hmrspaul said:

Interesting place, the chemist commented to us that they were importing coal from north America, and the shipping cost to delivery at the docks was less than the rail transfer from the dock to the works. 

Paul

Some things never seem to change. In ancient times, it cost as much to transport grain the fifteen miles from Rome’s port of Ostia as it did to ship it across the Med. from Egypt.

• Like 2

On the subject of internal use of these c1907 design wagons the Stanton Pipe works had a number when I did a quick visit on Jubilee day in 1977 

Examples https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/bscstanton/e25c79ea9  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/bscstanton/e3a01773f  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/bscstanton/e369d872b

There are others in https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/bscstanton   various body styles, with and without a through top plank and with/without end doors. 

So scope for some other finishes. 

Paul

https://paulbartlett.zenfolio.com/industrialinternalwagons

PS I should add that it is gratifying to see there is an interest in internal user wagons. There have been enormous fleets both private and mainline railway and very largely ignored - even by most in the IRS. However, they did publish a book on such wagons image.png.57c3f47329e30d1809fe9f9b7fd2d33d.png

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Far better I reckon for a branch to a land sale site, or a washery (no need to build the washery) or a remote tip site such as Nelson Bog.  Not much point in Internal User wagons cluttering up exchange sidings.

Perhaps, but I'm trying to find excuses to run NCB and BR stuff on the same (small) layout!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2