Exclusive NCB wagons from Rapido for BRM/RMweb/World of Railways

AY Mod

1 hour ago, No Decorum said:

... I can sit back now and await lists of all the ones I’ve forgotten. Jinties and Panniers for a start!

How about continuing the list with a Rapido loco .... ex Brighton E1 !!?!  ( P & B4 classes were known to frequent the Kent Collieries at times, too.)

Edited by Wickham Green too
  • Like 2

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

How about continuing the list with a Rapido loco .... ex Brighton E1 !!?!  ( P & B4 classes were known to frequent the Kent Collieries at times, too.)

Yes, I'll be butchering one to keep my wagons company.

image.png

image.png

• Like 9

• RMweb Premium

How many wagons were in the NCB's internal user fleet? Thousands? Tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands?

I suppose many of them had started life as regular main-line PO wagons of the particular collieries to which they were later confined?

• Moderators
10 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

I suppose many of them had started life as regular main-line PO wagons of the particular collieries to which they were later confined?

Probably so, a lot of 16T minerals of different flavours followed on so I assume they were purchased from BR at some point.

7 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

... I suppose many of them had started life as regular main-line PO wagons of the particular collieries to which they were later confined?

Anything acquired in NCB days would have been from British Railways and would have been completely random ........ as such, a FEW might have ended up at their 'home' colliery.

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Probably so, a lot of 16T minerals of different flavours followed on so I assume they were purchased from BR at some point.

7 minutes ago, Wickham Green too said:

Anything acquired in NCB days would have been from British Railways and would have been completely random ........ as such, a FEW might have ended up at their 'home' colliery.

But I assume we are not looking at an NCB devoid of internal user wagons on 1 Jan 1947? PO coal wagons generally were requisitioned during the war but presumably that applied only to those registered with the railway companies, not to internal wagon fleets? The requisitioned wagons remained their owners' property up to nationalisation of the coal industry but were transferred to British Railways in due course by a mechanism that I think I've read about but can't recall...

My point is, there would have been internal user wagons in use at collieries in the 1930s that were presumably still in use in the 1950s. I take the point that as those wagons became worn-out they would have been supplemented by wagons bough from British Railways. So my question can be refined as, what proportion of the NCB internal user fleet was made up of wagons that had already been internal users before 1939 and what proportion purchases from British Rail, as a function of time?

And again, what were the absolute numbers?

• Moderators
6 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

I'll see your Hornby wagon, and raise you: Lima HO!

NCB wagon_large.jpg

I'm going to start calling you Philistine.

• Funny 9

1 minute ago, AY Mod said:

I'm going to start calling you Philistine.

8 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

NCB wagon_large.jpg

The yellow's nice! I have three of these grey ones, not sure which Cardiff colliery was home turf though!

image.png.15fec82546377aa697e39b4e69db48ff.png

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

• RMweb Gold
On 20/07/2023 at 10:39, AY Mod said:

Thanks. No, it's one I drew up overlaying key locations and routes over an OS map.

If you wish you can download the higher resolution version of it here - https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kO4gPDOs_MMF2Z_YrD8aZ_pZh60IjhT9/view?usp=drive_link

Thanks for that Andy, I’ll enjoy followingbtgat up on the old side by side maps. 

• Like 1

• Moderators
15 minutes ago, PaulRhB said:

Thanks for that Andy, I’ll enjoy followingbtgat up on the old side by side maps. 

Generally, you may have to select different date maps to catch 'em all as they had different life spans.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

First post from a loooong time lurker, prompted by the announcement of these wagons.  Like GeoffBird, I was excited to see this commission but disappointed that the wagons aren’t available outside the UK. I was (and am still) ready to order the full set. Regardless of whether I can ultimately purchase these wagons, I congratulate Andy Y. for his suggesting NCB wagons for an RMWeb commission and thank him for his efforts, successful or not, in exploring whether they can be made available to those of us outside the UK.

I do most of my modelling from an armchair, but things are slowly taking shape for an NCB plank layout. I had figured that Rapido would eventually dress one of their RCH 1907 wagons in an NCB livery—in a way, an obvious move—and was delighted to see these RMWeb exclusive wagons on offer. Even if I might not be able to get any, I’m really happy that others will.

Jeff

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, No Decorum said:

I know what you’re getting at, Andy, but I doubt this area is niche any more, thanks to all the little industrial locos we have now.

Absolutely! The Victory, Hunslet !8", Barclay 14", Barclay 16", Pecket W4, Pecket B2, the Austerity you mentioned and soon the Dapol Hawthorn Leslies. That’s not to mention the Janus, Class 14s and RR Sentinels of four- and six wheeled varieties. I can sit back now and await lists of all the ones I’ve forgotten. Jinties and Panniers for a start!

I would only really add the Rapido 16" Hunslet, unless that was what you meant next to the Victory.

Does the Hornby Ruston DS48 rank ? Then there is the Rapido ex GW 15xx which worked for the NCB  as well as the Heljan 165hp Ruston an the class 11 which were two more industrial diesels. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Covkid said:

I would only really add the Rapido 16" Hunslet, unless that was what you meant next to the Victory.

Does the Hornby Ruston DS48 rank ? Then there is the Rapido ex GW 15xx which worked for the NCB  as well as the Heljan 165hp Ruston an the class 11 which were two more industrial diesels. 

Oh bother! You’re right, of course: 16". 🤦‍♂️ I didn’t mention the DS48 as I suspected it wouldn’t have the guts to be much use. Perhaps someone is going to turn up saying, “I remember one…”

• Like 1

On 21/07/2023 at 16:00, Phil Parker said:

NCB wagon_large.jpg

I have just cottoned on.  Hornby produce the ideal loco to run with these.  The Bagnall 0-4-0 diesel.  It is just as much a work of fictioo as these wagons so a marriage made in heaven !!!

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 21/07/2023 at 13:33, JShow said:

First post from a loooong time lurker, prompted by the announcement of these wagons.  Like GeoffBird, I was excited to see this commission but disappointed that the wagons aren’t available outside the UK. I was (and am still) ready to order the full set. Regardless of whether I can ultimately purchase these wagons, I congratulate Andy Y. for his suggesting NCB wagons for an RMWeb commission and thank him for his efforts, successful or not, in exploring whether they can be made available to those of us outside the UK. ...snip...

Jeff

Same here, I just tried to order the 4-car set. Oh well, hopefully that may change down the road. Maybe after al of the UK orders are fulfilled and there are some left over. One can hope.

• Like 2

On 26/07/2023 at 16:50, J. S. Bach said:

Same here, I just tried to order the 4-car set. Oh well, hopefully that may change down the road. Maybe after al of the UK orders are fulfilled and there are some left over. One can hope.

I have given up on trying to order these from Rapido orr World of Railways.  I have sent the latter numerous e-mails to which they do not reply.  I have now found a better solution for us who live in the EU.  Accurascale do two types of P7 NCB wagons in groups of three and I have ordered both; i.e. 6 wagons.  This has several advantages - a) You get a 10% disscount  for ordering two: b) you get free delivery and c) coming from Ireland (I assume) they come strayight through to me in Austria without any additional charges.  Could not be better.  

I have not seen any mention of these in Accurascale Forum discussions and I dont know what the exact technical differences are - they are all black & white and labelled "NCB" so that will do for me.

I await further discussion from the knowledgable contributors to this Forum!

• Like 1

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, GeoffBird said:

I have sent the latter numerous e-mails to which they do not reply

I haven't seen sight of any, who have you emailed?

I am still pestering for a solution for those who specifically want these. There's no point asking Rapido, the transaction has to be through our shop.

• Thanks 1

• Moderators
20 minutes ago, GeoffBird said:

they are all black & white and labelled "NCB" so that will do for me.

I don't think the latter is worth expending time upon if you are happy with the former irrespective of whether they are the correct type of wagon for the area you are modelling.

50 minutes ago, GeoffBird said:

I have not seen any mention of these in Accurascale Forum discussions and I dont know what the exact technical differences are - they are all black & white and labelled "NCB" so that will do for me.

These are NER 20T hoppers (which I also ordered when they were announced. ) There is a thread on the Accurascale Forum.

• Like 1