RMweb

When will Bachmann release a new tooled Standard 4MT Tank?

wappinghigh

This model seems a bit long in the tooth? 

Or have I missed something?.. that the all wheeled pick up, sound fitted (or speakers available in it already) with the 21 pin DCC or Next18 DCC chip with a five pole motor is already out?? 

Any clues how long it will be, before this icon Bachmann is likely for another refresh?

Cheers 

Edited by wappinghigh
  • Friendly/supportive 1

13 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

Or have I missed something?.. that the all wheeled pick up, sound fitted (or speakers available in it already) with the 21 pin DCC or Next18 DCC chip with a five pole motor is already out?? 

Any clues how long it will be, before this icon Bachmann is likely for another refresh?

Cheers 

Hi,

No clue, and neither will there be until Bachmann announce one as part of their 3 month programme, as they are now very tight lipped on what they are producing. If it isn't in the current, quite small, backlog, you won't hear anything until they are practically in the country ready to sell.

Simon

• Like 1
  • Agree 6

8 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

No clue, and neither will there be until Bachmann announce one as part of their 3 month programme, as they are now very tight lipped on what they are producing. If it isn't in the current, quite small, backlog, you won't hear anything until they are practically in the country ready to sell.

Simon

Bachmann might be waiting to see how the V3 sells first, in order to see if the “new chassis under old body” approach is a decent seller. As the V3 followed the Ivatt 2-6-2T, that question may already have been answered. You’re right, though, there’s no telling what Bachmann will do until it has almost been done.

• RMweb Gold
50 minutes ago, wappinghigh said:

Cheers 

A new 4MT tank would be welcome though I'm not sure why you'd want to burden it with a 21 pin socket. Rather have the room available for speakers and weight. Not convinced a steam loco really needs more that 8 pin - sound, firebox glow, lights front and back and smoke (if you must see) seems to be the full DCC package possible.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

• RMweb Premium

I'd definitely love to see this. The existing model is actually very nice in terms of detail, but taking it apart to put in sound is not pleasant - especially if the additional pipework has been fitted. And that speedometer cable is a pain. It would benefit from having a sound version as standard with additional pickups (or, better yet, a built in stay alive).

• Agree 1
  • Round of applause 1

28 minutes ago, MikeParkin65 said:

A new 4MT tank would be welcome though I'm not sure why you'd want to burden it with a 21 pin socket. Rather have the room available for speakers and weight. Not convinced a steam loco really needs more that 8 pin - sound, firebox glow, lights front and back and smoke (if you must see) seems to be the full DCC package possible.

Well sure - don't really care what decoder... but come on Bachmann!!! I mean yr opposition is selling really good tenderless locomotives pre fitted with speakers, easy access to fitting a chip, 5 pole motors, and you expect us (having ripped apart ...literally the body off the chassis, destroying everything in it;s wake)  to hardwire something onto a CAM motor?!  Even the 2005 8 pin version is a shocker to get in there... This is insane.. this tooling is 20 years old!!!... There are dozens of (actual real) existing 4MT tanks out there.. I don't get it! 

Edited by wappinghigh
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Some of your wish is likely to be granted at some point; I see that the WD 2-8-0 introduced at much the same time has just received an update in the form of a decoder socket and sound. 

It's a while ago now that I had a conversation with Dennis Lovett when he was with Bachmann, concerning the superior arrangement of the mechanism to body attachment of the newly introduced Fairburn tank; suggesting that a revision to the BR Std model would be welcome: "No plans to do that" wss the answer at that time. So I sold the BR Std, and bought the Fairburn as the representative of the LMS/BR Class 4 passenger tank development line...

I would not expect anything but a three pole motor though whatever happens; the Bachmann motor is very efficient, and with a DCC decoder any difference between five pole and three pole is concealed completely. (I can make direct comparison between the Bachmann A1 and WD 2-8-0 which have respectively Mashima and Buhler five pole motors in earlier versions, Bachmann three pole motors in later releases. There is no detectable difference in performance on track

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Well, the next announcement is on Tuesday.

Personally I would prefer a Fowler 4P 2-6-4T instead, but I can see an updated one appearing at some point. Maybe not immediately though.

Jason

A new LMS family 2-6-2t would be nice… Stanier, Fowler or an 84xxx

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Well, the next announcement is on Tuesday.

Personally I would prefer a Fowler 4P 2-6-4T instead, but I can see an updated one appearing at some point. Maybe not immediately though.

Jason

It's next Wednesday not Tuesday

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

A new LMS family 2-6-2t would be nice… Stanier, Fowler or an 84xxx

With you on that.  Stanier, Fowler or both, as well as a Midland 2F and a Flatiron, and the various LNWR designs which lasted throuigh LMS and just past 1948.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Detail and performance wise I don't see much wrong with the current 4MT offering. Yes there are issues in respect of removing the body due to all the pipework and it doesn't have all the fancy stuff like firebox lights or provision for sound the latest releases tend to have, but overall the model holds up well to scrutiny.

Now the 2MT body on the other hand...

• Like 2
  • Agree 9

19 hours ago, MikeParkin65 said:

8 pin is messy too. The functions you have listed would require 11 connections. That would be 8 pins & 3 loose wires, including the 2 for the speaker. Bachmann moved on from this a few years ago.

The photo is of my Webb coal tank, dated June 2020, so the chassis design was older than that. The decoder is on the left & there  is a box for the speaker under the small green pcb on the right, which also provides solder-free connections for it.

No wires to tuck in anywhere, just plug in the decoder, remove & replace the pcb. I had to put a thin layer of card beneath the speaker to lift it slightly but I was impressed with the tidiness of the design. I doubt Bachmann will move backwards. They do not seem to do that.

webb_coal_tank lr.jpg

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

58 minutes ago, Pete the Elaner said:

I was impressed with the tidiness of the design.

Likewise on my most recent Bachmann tank loco purchases, V3 and G5; very tidy wiring arrangements with Next18 sockets. No further advance required.

As for all the LMS group tank loco wishlisting; doncha think that with a truly competent 0-4-4T mechanism layout now demonstrated, that the joy might best be spread Northwards in the form of a Caley 439?

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, wappinghigh said:

Well sure - don't really care what decoder... but come on Bachmann!!! I mean yr opposition is selling really good tenderless locomotives pre fitted with speakers, easy access to fitting a chip, 5 pole motors, and you expect us (having ripped apart ...literally the body off the chassis, destroying everything in it;s wake)  to hardwire something onto a CAM motor?!  Even the 2005 8 pin version is a shocker to get in there... This is insane.. this tooling is 20 years old!!!... There are dozens of (actual real) existing 4MT tanks out there.. I don't get it! 

So is this suggestion to Bachmann all about DCC, or are folk really that dissatisfied in the appearance of the existing tooling?

6 hours ago, phil-b259 said:

Detail and performance wise I don't see much wrong with the current 4MT offering.

Quite right, Phil.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

I would be happy with further runs of the 4MT tank but with modern DCC wiring (6 pin or next 18 with pre-fitted speaker).

An all new tank would be fine too.

But Bachmann seem to be avoiding steam locos at the moment unless as part of a commission elsewhere (or OO-9). Considering that the V1 and V2 did not exactly fly off the shelves, I doubt we will see them.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

...are folk really that dissatisfied in the appearance of the existing tooling?...

The OP's comment ISTM is about the construction. It was an early introduction to Bachmann's Blue Riband series, and back then most of us were grateful to be able to purchase a RTR model to the standard that until then had required a skilled kit builder and painter's attention, such that it was given a 'bye' on the awkward construction. And since most were still using DC, and the model would pull anything coupled on, most owners probably never took the body off.

But: cue, 'Anything Goes', with particular attention to the first three words...

• Like 1

As others have said, the body still stands up pretty well.I'd rather see new prototypes that haven't been done before,or those that are old and unsatisfactory by today's standards ...and yes a 3P tank or a MR 2F would be nice....

But my point is ,every update of what is in essence a perfectly good model,just pushes the 'never beens' further down the line, and stretches the pockets of the customers even further 

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

Exactly! I'm not saying back in the early 2000, it wasn't awesome..and still is.. but  Come on boys and girls.. this model is decades old.. decades... We don't necessarily want more detail.. just a more modern modelling experience.. how easy would it be to bring it up to 2020 standards? Just make a body that is easier to remove and fit and add a newer decoder and speakers... 

Edited by wappinghigh
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, jamieb said:

As others have said, the body still stands up pretty well.I'd rather see new prototypes that haven't been done before,or those that are old and unsatisfactory by today's standards ...and yes a 3P tank or a MR 2F would be nice....

But my point is ,every update of what is in essence a perfectly good model,just pushes the 'never beens' further down the line, and stretches the pockets of the customers even further 

I dread to see how people managed when there was only a handful of RTR models!   😜

I do actually agree with the OP that these models do need to be up to current standards mechanically/electronically as the new generation probably won't buy them. I'm afraid many now want all the bells and whistles.

It's a bit like when I was growing up and there was still loads of old Hornby Dublo 3 Rail locomotives on the shelves of Hattons that they couldn't give away as they were obsolete. Some were newer than the Bachmann 4MT, ironically one was the Hornby Dublo version!

That soon changed when the collectors market started and prices for mint ones rocketed.

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Pretty sure it said the 1st of August in the email.

Jason

No its definitely 100% Wednesday 2nd. 

• Agree 2