Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Exhibition entry prices and consessions

At DEMU's Showcase this year the difference between members and non members admission prices was infinite, members were admitted free.

Anyone who paid to get in and then joined DEMU was able to get a refund of their admission costs as well.

On the subject of concessions can I gauge a bit of opinion of the members here please? If a disabled visitor has a carer should the carer get free admission?

Andi

The Duncombe Park show is also free to members, but there is an interesting twist. Annual membership is £1 cheaper than extrance to the show, and if you're a family you could save £9 by being a member.

DMEU and Scalefour please take note.

I was speaking to another exhibition manager last night and their show has decided to drop the senior rate, so I am seeing more and more shows take this aproach to the senior consession rate.

I must admit if I see a show at £2-£3 then I would think its not going to be up to much and would give it a miss, Shows like many other things have moved on, remember the old MRC show at Easter that ran for a week, I am sure no show would even think of doing that now and right in the centre of London too!

David

Was that the old 'IMREX' show? I couldn't believe it when I first read about a 5 day show (a misprint, surely?) and wasn't there a 7 day show as well?

Aside from the organisational costs/gamble, pity the poor chap on his shunting plank with 5 days of operating to fill! sad.gif biggrin.gif

Was that the old 'IMREX' show? I couldn't believe it when I first read about a 5 day show (a misprint, surely?) and wasn't there a 7 day show as well?

Aside from the organisational costs/gamble, pity the poor chap on his shunting plank with 5 days of operating to fill! sad.gif biggrin.gif

I am sure it ran for six days, but to be able to book all the layouts and get them to take a week off work must have been quite a job.

David

I went to that in 1961 - my first trip to London with my parents. There weren't any shunting planks - and from memory not many end to ends. Roundys ruled the roost, and big ones at that. Can't be certain what it was called - all I remember is a model show at Easter in London.

I was speaking to another exhibition manager last night and their show has decided to drop the senior rate, so I am seeing more and more shows take this aproach to the senior consession rate.

That must please anyone on the cash desk when anyone who looks around retirement age presents a £10 note and a "one please". Truse me, i've heard many variations of "but you haven't given me enough change" and "i'm not an OAP...!!"

I must admit if I see a show at £2-£3 then I would think its not going to be up to much and would give it a miss, Shows like many other things have moved on, remember the old MRC show at Easter that ran for a week, I am sure no show would even think of doing that now and right in the centre of London too!

David

I suppose it all depends which layouts or traders will be there. I know there's little point even travelling a small distance to any show of their leaflet reads "dozen+" layouts and trade unless i'm prepared to give up a few hours and pounds on the off-chance I might be enlightened. There's no excuse for any show not to be able to promote itself properly, unless they really don't want the inconvenience of visitors paying to get in.

I must admit if I see a show at £2-£3 then I would think its not going to be up to much and would give it a miss, Shows like many other things have moved on,

David

This will depend what type of punters you after, is it the people who want the top layouts, trade stands etc, yes they will avoid these shows, but the normal punters especialy if they have got young children will go to this type of show where there are always trains running and it dosen't matter if they are not prototype at all, and as long as this helps to get the young to come in to the hobby all the better. The top shows will most lickly be too expensive for them to go to any way.

David

I must say I discussed this with our treasurer after last years show, after I'd witnessed someone who was as much of pension age as I am haggling at the paydesk about the discounted rate. Our paydesk stewards are all members partners, and to see willing volunteers taking unneccessary and almost abusive flack from some skinflint gets my goat somewhat (edited to take the Anglo-Saxon out). I was overruled this year but I wont for the 2011 show, it will be all one price except for kids.

If theres one thing that really bugs me at a show its the sight of someone who has paid a pensioners entrance fee then goes on to spend my annual disposable income on O gauge kits at one show!!

If the numbers of punters going through the gates start going down, this means the price is concidered too high by the punters

Not necessarily - there are a lot of other reasons for declining gate numbers; such as alternative attractions, not having suitable free time, adverse weather conditions, road/rail disruptions, holidays, etc. And knowledge of the show is crucial - which makes marketing it essential. If you don't promote it no-one/fewer are likely to be aware about it to turn up.

G.

The one thing that really gets to me , and the reason that i wont go to a show, model railway and model engineering show is when they charge stupid money for the car park, and then charge to go into the show thats twenty quid that i would spend on traders more if i took the wife and that dont include dinner,i gave the large scale model exhibition a miss this year most layouts have been the same on previous years and some traders that i needed did not go also becouse of cost, so i got my bits by post, i wont go to Telford or the nec simply becouse they charge to pay in the car park as well as the show.

mswjr

• RMweb Gold

Sadly there is little exhibition organisers can do about car parking charges, they are normally set by the owners of the venue, or the local council.

I too get annoyed by car parking charges, but this may be because I live in a town, which although it is the largest in the county, has no parking charges or restrictions apart from a few yellow lines which some people avoid parking on.

Most of the "big" exhibitions are quite a long way from home, so I rarely get to them. Many of the local ones though are well worth the trip, if only to meet up with friends who still exhibit and to buy things from "local" traders, a number of whose shops are about an hour's drive away from home for me.

David

I must say I discussed this with our treasurer after last years show, after I'd witnessed someone who was as much of pension age as I am haggling at the paydesk about the discounted rate. Our paydesk stewards are all members partners, and to see willing volunteers taking unneccessary and almost abusive flack from some skinflint gets my goat somewhat (edited to take the Anglo-Saxon out). I was overruled this year but I wont for the 2011 show, it will be all one price except for kids.

If theres one thing that really bugs me at a show its the sight of someone who has paid a pensioners entrance fee then goes on to spend my annual disposable income on O gauge kits at one show!!

Please, Andy, don't judge all of us OAPs by a few ingrates. Any help available to the less fortunate in society occasionally will be abused by a few brass-necked individuals; doing away with concessions only hits those to whom a few pounds one way or the other really does make a difference.

• RMweb Gold

(Another can of worms coming here) - I don't think concessions should be provided for anyone other than children, because children need to be encouraged into the hobby and it would be a shame if dad were put off bringing them due to cost. Conversely, often those in receipt of concessions at the other end of the scale have more disposable income than others that don't qualify.

I completely agree there,

Whit an ageing population more and more people going through the doors at an exhibition are going to be entitled to the discounted ticket. Net result of this is that prices for the rest of us would have to go up to compensate (the same is true for society memberships where I also think there should be no concession prices)

• RMweb Gold

Quote:snapback.pngPugsley, on 06 July 2010 - 18:22 , said:

(Another can of worms coming here) - I don't think concessions should be provided for anyone other than children, because children need to be encouraged into the hobby and it would be a shame if dad were put off bringing them due to cost. Conversely, often those in receipt of concessions at the other end of the scale have more disposable income than others that don't qualify.

The Fatadder said:

Whit an ageing population more and more people going through the doors at an exhibition are going to be entitled to the discounted ticket. Net result of this is that prices for the rest of us would have to go up to compensate (the same is true for society memberships where I also think there should be no concession prices) end quote.

I agree that some pensioners are quite well off, and have considerable disposable income.

At the moment I can afford the full admission prices, but almost all purchases come out of the savings I made before I retired!

And I am fortunate as my pension income is about 40% of my earnings before I retired, unlike many.

David

Rather than set an age of 60 or 65, the Trainwest senior discount is self-defined. If someone considers themselves to be a pensioner, they get the discounted rate. I always suspect that many people who would be entitled to the discount don't claim it.

That said, I don't think the discount will last much longer. It is only £1. We are committed to if for 2011 but it may well disappear in 2012.

Geoff Endacott

Whit an ageing population more and more people going through the doors at an exhibition are going to be entitled to the discounted ticket. Net result of this is that prices for the rest of us would have to go up to compensate (the same is true for society memberships where I also think there should be no concession prices)

Yes, some over sixty-fives are pretty well off - good luck to them - most aren't. Yes, there are more and more people surviving to pensionable age (and these are the ones whose contributions over their working lives paid for the medical advances which made this possible), but the present economic climate makes it look as though the pensionable age is going to be pushed further back. As I've just about used up my allowance of axe grinding, I'd like to hear what any other OAPs think about the matter.

Ah - Dave F was quicker typing out his reply than me -thanks, Dave!

With regard to OAP concessions does anyone ask for proof? Such as a pension book (if they still exist) or a driving license? Then there can be no argument. The onus then changes from the doorkeeper to the visitor.

In my other guise as a member of the Rochdale MRG whilst I was on the door of the show a few shows ago I had a bloke appear in front of me asking for the pensioners rate. Now I know some people wear well but this guy was obviously trying it on, so I asked (very politely indeed) for proof of age. For my pains all I got in return was an ongoing tirade of what right i had to ask him, its a slur on me, you are suggesting Im a cheat (which he patently was) etc etc. He created such a scene I did wonder whether it would have been far easier just to take his money but doing the job I do (Fraud investigations management) there was no way he was going unchallenged. It may change the onus but there still is a flashpoint.

I'm not the only one who has experienced this on the door either, so its far easier for the club to do a one size fits all approach and get rid of the flashpoint. Put it in perspective - for most clubs this equates to increasing the OAP rate by £1 at the very most, the cost of a third of a pint or a quality newspaper. As Pugsley quite rightly points out as well, the demograph of show attendance is getting skewed to those who are able to claim concessions, so there is an inevitability in "no concessions" becoming common practice anyway just to cover show costs.

There are quite a few people who are still working and don't have much money, while some retired people are quite well off, so one price for those over 16 possibly is the fair way of doing things.

I am not too sure, but tickets for west end shows, football matches or even National Trust houses don't offer a senior discount, we are only talking about £5-£10 in most cases which for a good show I think is good value for money, offering a discounted advanced postal ticket is a way if people do want to save a pound or two. Look at what a sandwich and cup tea will cost at any cafe and you won't get too much change from £5

David

Seeing as AndyC brought the RMRG into this I might as well post to say that we've decided to go with one adult entry price for the 2011 show. It will be a standard £5, but accompanied under 16s get in free whilst unaccompanied under 16s will pay £3.

We've done this for all the reasons that have been outlined in earlier postings but my bugbear, and I've spent a good few hours on the door since taking on the role of EM is this, just what constitutes a senior these days? Is it strictly on age or is it if people are retired. Now I've known many a fit 50+ year old get early retirement from his/her employment. The pensionable age is going up and whilst I got my Bus Pass when I was 6 (check my Profile if you wish) those born since April 1st 1950 are having to wait progressively longer to receive their's.

The age profile is increasing in the hobby. We need to do all we can to increase the numbers of younger people attending shows and getting involved. If older exhibition goers have to pay that bit more then so be it. £5 (with free parking and good value refreshments) for a quality show with 16 or so very good layouts, as many traders with a good balance, half a dozen Society stands and a couple of demos isn't asking a lot IMHO.

Yes, some over sixty-fives are pretty well off - good luck to them - most aren't.

Sure there may well be many 'pensioners' who are 'not well off' but there are probably just as many who are not of pensionable age and who are also in the same position of being 'not well off' - whatever 'not well off' means as it's really a moveable feast and dependant on individual circumstance and interpretation. What is 'well off' for one may be 'not well off' for another.

The attainment of a particular age doesn't necessarily make any difference to being able to afford things or not, some stop work well before 65 and others continue working beyond, so why bother with a discount for age? There's no longer any logic in it and it just seems to stir up resentment, issues and difficulties.

G.

• RMweb Gold

There are quite a few people who are still working and don't have much money, while some retired people are quite well off, so one price for those over 16 possibly is the fair way of doing things.

David

I think David has pretty much summed up what I was about to post, but will just add my 2p's worth for the sake of it :P

Lots of pensioners are well off, lots are not, just the same as many people of working age are well off and many more are not. My point is why should one group (pensioners) get in cheaper, while others who are just as restricted in terms of their disposable income (such as unemployed, students, low income etc etc etc) pay full price?

Just dosnt seem very fair in my mind...

Further to that as more and more people through the door start to qualify for the reduced ticket, are there just as many paying the full price? Given an ageing population that is probably not the case, so either the exhibition manager has to increase the full ticket price or charge the trade stands more (but of course if all these OAPs are as poor as they say they are, surely they wont actually be spending much once they get inside (so the traders wouldnt be happy with extra charges...) Of course I suspect for the majority thats not the case, the person who has just paid the low price to get in will head straight over to a trader and part with £xxx on the latest Bach/Hornby/etc loco, so would that extra £2 at the door really have made any difference.......

• RMweb Premium

Speaking as someone in employment who emptied his piggy bank hoping to attend members day (£3 donation) the bigger cost would have been petrol for the trip of 50 miles. I am unlikely to attend Scaleforum unless my retired mate takes me in his much newer diesel VW.

Another point to be considered is those of a retirement age are entitled to reduced price travel on public transport, either through a Senior Citizens Railcard or free Bus pass.

There is also the option of becoming a member of the organising club if it is your local show, which is good value when the time involved over a year is considered.

• RMweb Gold

Don't forget that us over 60s and older have paid through the nose for everything for a lot longer than those who are younger have...um obviously ;) - so I don't think that a pound off here and there is a lot to ask.

Archived