The next Accurascale steam loco in OO ???

On 20/08/2023 at 10:50, Pteremy said:

Not suggesting that it should be the next steam locomotive, but is there scope for Accurascale 'rescuing' the Hattons 14xx, as they are doing with the Class 66??

On 20/08/2023 at 13:18, G-BOAF said:

Better to start again on that one i think

On 20/08/2023 at 13:30, No Decorum said:

I wonder. The body is quite good, apart from the hole where the brass numberplate goes and the lack of the bottom of the firebox. A decent finish would be welcome but Accurascale has shown itself capable of that with the Manor. A new chassis and motor would be required though. We are still rather lacking a decent up-to-date version. I wonder how Accurascale would cope with the size.

On 20/08/2023 at 13:41, Captain Kernow said:

I think this is a good example of a loco that would sell by the bucket load.

That's the thing with small tank locos, they can operate on branch lines, shunting yards and main lines alike, so they are of interest to many people, no matter how big or small their layout is.

That's the problem with all these big main line tender locos as far as I am concerned, they are of little operational value to anyone with a small layout depicting a branch line or yard etc. unless you are also a collector with a large gap in your wall-mounted showcase.

Some of the more venerable tank locos, that made it to the BR era could be produced in a variety of liveries and possibly body modifications, in other words I would suggest that a GWR 2021 pannier would sell more units that a 'Duke of Gloucester'.

I agree that an Accurascale 14xx / 48xx / 58xx would be a very worthy addition to the portfolio, and there is no doubt it would be top notch.  I would need to be a ground upwards clean sheet though with plenty of diecast, and none of those silly numberplate recesses.   

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 22/08/2023 at 07:42, GM36 said:

The camera lingered on Thundersley in the J69 announcement video so perhaps a LTSR class 79.

Yes, I noticed that too.  Here’s hoping!           John S

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

We are crying for a OO model of the LSWR Adams T3 4-4-0 tender express locomotive especially seeing that the Swanage Railway Trust 563 Locomotive Group will soon have the only surviving member of a class of twenty locomotives in steam and in service. 

We already have a recently released four coach LSWR coach pack and the Generic LSWR coaches. Now we need a suitable LSWR liveried loco to haul them.

Cheers

Chris

• Agree 6

• 2 weeks later...

Gwr, King Class, locomotive

Apologies to Andy York for my earlier post – I hope that I am now contributing to the right topic.
Accurascale has arguably produced the best running and most accurate RTR locomotive in 4 mm scale ever – the manor class!

2027 marks the Centenary of the building of King George V, the first  Great Western Railway King class locomotive. The King class models produced to date have, to be charitable, been lacklustre and mediocre. They are all now very long in the tooth, and the last thing we now need is a half-hearted Hornby upgrade. I do not doubt there would be a significant market for an Accurascalesque king-class locomotive produced with the same quality, detail, finesse and mechanism as the Accurascale Manor. Most GWR and BR modellers would buy several

I ask that those forum members who agree to make their views known. The planning and marketing for such a seminal model must start now, and, in my view, only Accurascale or Rapido has the proven pedigree to do justice to it! 

Let's start the centenary celebrations for KGV now!

Brian Patterson 

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

Not a fan of Kings, or 47xx, useless overweight lumps that couldn't be used over most of the railway that built them... runs for cover!

I'd much rather see more common GW fare, and there are some low hangers, some not done at all in RTR and some overdue a revisit.  The former would include Aberdares, 3150, Metro, 517, 54xx, later 64xx, 74xx, and my personal wishlist is for a half-cab pannier, either an 1854 or a 2721 (of course these could also be released in saddle tank form, which I wouldn't be interested in).  The latter would be both the Counties, Churchward and Hawksworth, Saint, the aforementioned 2721, 81xx, 2251, 48/58xx and Dean Goods.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, Brunel276 said:

Gwr, King Class, locomotive

Apologies to Andy York for my earlier post – I hope that I am now contributing to the right topic.
Accurascale has arguably produced the best running and most accurate RTR locomotive in 4 mm scale ever – the manor class!

2027 marks the Centenary of the building of King George V, the first  Great Western Railway King class locomotive. The King class models produced to date have, to be charitable, been lacklustre and mediocre. They are all now very long in the tooth, and the last thing we now need is a half-hearted Hornby upgrade. I do not doubt there would be a significant market for an Accurascalesque king-class locomotive produced with the same quality, detail, finesse and mechanism as the Accurascale Manor. Most GWR and BR modellers would buy several

I ask that those forum members who agree to make their views known. The planning and marketing for such a seminal model must start now, and, in my view, only Accurascale or Rapido has the proven pedigree to do justice to it! 

Let's start the centenary celebrations for KGV now!

Brian Patterson 

Are you forgetting that the Hornby King was retooled less than 8 years ago to a similar quality as the Castle? What exactly is wrong with it?

Its nowhere near the Bachmann Manor which has its origins in the 1980s.

Edited by G-BOAF
  • Like 4
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
21 minutes ago, G-BOAF said:

What exactly is wrong with it?

My main gripes are large areas of daylight on the bogie, Hornby’s rendition of Great Western green and the lack of a post war choice of livery, same old, same old.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
17 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

My main gripes are large areas of daylight on the bogie, Hornby’s rendition of Great Western green and the lack of a post war choice of livery, same old, same old.

All possibly true but as I just said on the other wishlist, a relatively recent poor model will still have satisfied some, so immediately there are better returns to be had elsewhere.

From a financial persepctive it would be tempting to re-utilise the manor tender having tooled it, but with Dapol doing the same and the Hornby Grange not bad, the options are limited. Collett goods perhaps whilst looking at fresher territory as well.

Edited by Hal Nail
typo
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
15 minutes ago, gwrrob said:

That sums it up nicely.Though there has been of late a noticeable improvement in the rendition of “green” with new Hornby releases.So if that could be applied to an newly issued King it might brighten its prospects a bit. Though I can’t see this happening any time soon,( if ever ) given the continued waywardness of Hornby’s production “system “.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

The Hornby King was a far better model than it has been credited with, although livery application in the greens did let it down. It is utterly bombproof, and runs like clockwork (I had one wiped off the layout at GETS in Gaydon when we released it, and after some TLC to the body, it ran all day on the Sunday, and at subsequent shows). Yes, I feel that there are some areas that could be 'Accurascaled', but I wouldn't be looking at it as a priority, either primary or secondary 😉

• Like 5
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Thanks for that timely post,Paul. Now that you’re around “on here”,I note that  your interest in the North East has recently led to the development of some very tasty wagons from that region..the Chaldrons are already here …with more to come. Now the obvious choice for a steam locomotive model to operate with them, Heljan having already given us an electric example, is Lambton tank No.29 which is I believe currently on the NYMR. I’m sure you will by now have given it some thought.As is said…just saying.

• Like 5
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Ian Hargrave said:

Thanks for that timely post,Paul. Now that you’re around “on here”,I note that  your interest in the North East has recently led to the development of some very tasty wagons from that region..the Chaldrons are already here …with more to come. Now the obvious choice for a steam locomotive model to operate with them, Heljan having already given us an electric example, is Lambton tank No.29 which is I believe currently on the NYMR. I’m sure you will by now have given it some thought.As is said…just saying.

I’ve fancied one for ages purely for its quirkiness.

https://www.nymr.co.uk/lhjc-0-6-2t-no-29-peggy

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

A few ex main line locos ended their working lives at systems like Lambton which has aided the survival of a few vintage locos.  Many had cabs modified for the loading gauge which I presume if designed correctly the cabs can easily be swapped.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, gwrrob said:

Leaving a side the daylight, no fresh tooling would be required to produce a King with a decent paint finish and in a different livery. Hornby has been knocking out stuff for years with hideous paint finishes and seems, at last, to be trying to fix the problem. It must be more difficult to fix than we think, otherwise it would have been done years ago. On the other hand, there’s the Accurascale Manor. Perhaps not so difficult.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

Somewhat extreme I know, especially to you GWR types, I would like an SR/BR N15X 4-6-0. Very selfish of me I know, they were all shedded at Basingstoke in BR days so I could buy six of them, I already have one built by me from an ACE kit.

This locomotive does not have a copper capped chimney.

009(2).JPG.399d48ec2f7ba7f26071aca2932cc9ed.JPG

010(2).JPG.2370bb2f9b90100f6eff3c1e5a49c96d.JPG

Kind regards,

• Like 5
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

2 hours ago, Islesy said:

...I wouldn't be looking at it as a priority, either primary or secondary.

There's a welcome outline of the reasoning.

On this basis, leave it to the business to select from among:

proven popular subjects with sub-standard (typically dated) models; 

significant subjects with no previous model which are believed to offer good commercial prospects.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1