LNER/LMS 25t Machine Wagon 'LOWMAC' (was Another new teaser...)

greatcoleswoodhalt

• RMweb Gold

Take no notice of me, Jason, I'm just banging on about 2761s and 1854s at any and every opportunity because I want one, and banging on about a Diagram N autotrailer eventually got me one, and in the liveries I wanted, so in my head it's a proven and effective policy.  When someone relents and gives me a 2721 or 1854, I'll start banging on about a Collett 1938 31xx large prairie...

Then there's a whole raft of 50s Tondu-appropriate non-gangwayed stock to work through...

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold

The name 'Elephant' was carried by three different GWR engines at various times in the company's history.  The first was a Leo  class 2-4-0 'Goods Engine',    This was first class built specifically for goods work on the GWR and was of course built for Mr Brunel's innovative track gauge.

So are we looking at an innovative departure from established r-t-r gauges from Rapido?  Somehow I think not, probably ...

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The name 'Elephant' was carried by three different GWR engines at various times in the company's history.  The first was a Leo  class 2-4-0 'Goods Engine',    This was first class built specifically for goods work on the GWR and was of course built for Mr Brunel's innovative track gauge.

So are we looking at an innovative departure from established r-t-r gauges from Rapido?  Somehow I think not, probably ...

Was it used on trunk routes?

• Funny 5

• RMweb Gold

Mr Brunel stated in evidence at the Gauge Commission that he chose standard gauge for the Taff Vale because of the curvature on that line, but that this had been a mistake and were he to have the opportunity to build it again, the curvature would have been no obstacle to using broad gauge.  The South Devon is pretty wiggly in places.

• RMweb Gold
On 18/08/2023 at 20:19, Hal Nail said:

What this thread proves once and for all is that people don't bother to read previous posts!

Another forum I was on had a "banging head against a brick wall" emoji, maybe we need one here.....

• Agree 3

3 hours ago, ruggedpeak said:

Another forum I was on had a "banging head against a brick wall" emoji, maybe we need one here.....

Maybe people don’t have time to wade through pages of useless waffle to see the one post that those who have nothing better to do with their time are fully aware of.

5 hours ago, Mark said:

Maybe people don’t have time to wade through pages of useless waffle to see the one post that those who have nothing better to do with their time are fully aware of.

Sixth reply and I posted it about two hours after the OP.....

Then I reiterated the point due to some other person who CBA reading posts!

• greatcoleswoodhalt changed the title to LNER/LMS 25t Machine Wagon 'LOWMAC' (was Another new teaser...)

Good subject choice, and this will be much less trouble than finding small diameter wheelsets to finagle into the old Airfix GMR tooling. (On which subject there does seem to be a shortage of 10mm diameter wagon wheelsets, might be worth Rapido offering these separately?)

And hats off to whoever it was at Gorton or Dukinfield that created the original design which was capable of so much development.

On 16/08/2023 at 10:23, Oldddudders said:

Crikey - mention of Jim Dorward. A genial, teetotal Scots civil engineer, he was my top boss when he was Planning Manager, later retitled Investment Manager, Southern Region. ISTR his farewell do was held on the Bluebell. 

Cracking Gent - one of the real characters of the old Waterloo G.O. - quietly spoken and with a marvellous sense of humour - he interviewed me once for an Asst Investment Mgr job (with Ted ???? name escapes me but he was Manager of Farnborough Town FC at the time). Jim's opinion was that I was too much of an Engineer to join the Investment Dept and I always admired him for that 🤣

On 16/08/2023 at 08:10, jafcreasey said:

image.png.b00c2c1ad670ebc5c018802c0dc098f6.png

I can explain this with 1st hand knowledge. This particular vehicle M700703 did indeed belong to the MEs PS section based out of Horsham Yard and was used for a variety of things including the transportation of the ventilation lids for the grey tin box rectifier units used to uprate the PS system during the Channel Tunnel & Networker upgrades which were then fitted on-site using the hiab crane mounted on the former GW lowmac ADW96500.

The Elephant logo comes from the fact that the Horsham PS crew (comprised of many ex-Dockers made redundant by the closure of the London docks and employed by BR because of their slinging & general lifting knowledge & skills) were referred to colloquially as "The Heavy Gang" due to their undoubted abilities to shift large, heavy & unwieldy equipment about  and they adopted that Elephant moniker accordingly - it ended being painted on various wagons etc.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
30 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

Good subject choice, and this will be much less trouble than finding small diameter wheelsets to finagle into the old Airfix GMR tooling. (On which subject there does seem to be a shortage of 10mm diameter wagon wheelsets, might be worth Rapido offering these separately?)

And hats off to whoever it was at Gorton or Dukinfield that created the original design which was capable of so much development.

There are plenty of 10.5mm wheelsets available which will suffice adequately, as are 10mm ones if a diligent search is carried out.

Mike.