BR 16t Minerals, By Accurascale

• RMweb Gold

Hi everyone,

Great news! We have received our first decorated samples of our 16 ton mineral wagons which we have included many, many pics of in our latest update on or newest addition to our "Powering Britain" range. 

16t14.jpg.847e25f9448b0a9f0d7dc3264e0743b6.jpg

16t13(1).jpg.9ea8e370e366691a4886d7879c80ed45.jpg

Of course, usual caveats on fit and finish apply, but check out the blog for more info. We're delighted to report that we are still on course for Q3 2024 delivery as per initial announcement.

Read more here: https://www.accurascale.com/blogs/news/decorated-16-tonner-samples-revealed

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 16
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Round of applause 1

25 minutes ago, Accurascale Fran said:

In your e-mailed newsletter you list one of the points to be corrected to be 'Colour matching (mainly on the BR Freight Grey, which needs to be a fraction darker in tone)'.

I think it's pretty much accepted that 16T minerals were painted varying hues of grey, so some randomness might be more authentic?

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

12 minutes ago, SKELTON15 said:

I notice that the pictures include 2 unannounced ICI soda ash wagons complete with sheet bar. Very welcome to those of us who remember these colourful wagons in service.

I noticed those 2 too, I'd be interested in some of those so hope I've not missed where to get them from yet

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
19 minutes ago, Pint of Adnams said:

In your e-mailed newsletter you list one of the points to be corrected to be 'Colour matching (mainly on the BR Freight Grey, which needs to be a fraction darker in tone)'.

I think it's pretty much accepted that 16T minerals were painted varying hues of grey, so some randomness might be more authentic?

Hi @Pint of Adnams,

Valid point, but we will be playing around with the shades to see what we can come up with as alternatives, just to see how they sit on the wagons. All part of the fun!

19 minutes ago, GordonC said:

I noticed those 2 too, I'd be interested in some of those so hope I've not missed where to get them from yet

Hi @GordonC,

Not missed anything yet! News of those shall be forthcoming very soon!

Cheers!

Fran 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, BVMR21 said:

These are looking fantastic, really looking forward to seeing them in person.

Just need to get yourselves a decent industrial loco out for these and you've got a full set...

Shhh. People aren't supposed to know about the Barclay six wheeler yet! 😉

• Funny 6

3 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi everyone,

Great news! We have received our first decorated samples of our 16 ton mineral wagons which we have included many, many pics of in our latest update on or newest addition to our "Powering Britain" range.

3 hours ago, SKELTON15 said:

I notice that the pictures include 2 unannounced ICI soda ash wagons complete with sheet bar. Very welcome to those of us who remember these colourful wagons in service.

I noticed those too.  I also noticed that the "huge 20 different packs" actually only showed 18!

These ICI wagons would be the missing packs P & Q ?  The exclusives?  Own up Fran - you've let  the cat out of the bag!

I do like the way you've included a spreadsheet excerpt* in the description of each pack, showing the running numbers and what combination of options apply to each of these wagons.  It would be a good idea to do the same for other models.

* Presumably there's an even more detailed master copy used in-house to help control the planning & production of each of your products, given that there are so many variables that you are having to manage?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
On 13/12/2023 at 11:31, Pint of Adnams said:

I was always impressed when I saw 16ton Min s that had been repainted due to the variety in teh varying tone sof grey that emerged sometimes very pale with what might also have been a hint of cream cluring in the grey.  Overall I think it could be quite difficult to get the grey 'wrong' because I suspect that the ol;y time it might have been almost consistent was with new builds.

But one particular point to remember please Fran - when these wagons passed through works (and possibly even when they were new?) the inside was not painted.  Maybe some places did bother with painting the inside but I never came across any and over the years I saw quite lot of them, including views from signal box windows, of wagons straight out of shops.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

The three CEGB https://www.accurascale.com/collections/br-16t-mineral/products/br-16t-mineral-mco-cegb-kearsley-yellow-pack-s  are familiar https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/internaluser/e116afc1b  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/internaluser/e12c396e2  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/internaluser/e8cb5f4d    They are interesting with their early design of Dowty buffer (IRC introduced c1956) but independent double V hanger brake rigging and no top door. I don't know the origin of these wagons, perhaps new for the CEGB? 

Paul

Edited by hmrspaul
  • Like 2

26 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

But one particular point to remember please Fran - when these wagons passed through works (and possibly even when they were new?) the inside was not painted.  Maybe some places did bother with painting the inside but I never came across any and over the years I saw quite lot of them, including views from signal box windows, of wagons straight out of shops.

Maybe Shildon did things differently?

Maybe they had some surplus freight red to use up?

Maybe they weren't refurbed at Shildon?

Such a pity this photograph is blurred. At least it shows some 21 ton hoppers were having their interior painted in 65/6.

45195752405_522bbdde3d_k.jpgD5153 Darlington 1966 01 01 by griffith_p, on Flickr

Then there was the pic of ex works 16tonner, B100925 that showed the inside to be painted but this may have been done specifically for the exhibition it was appearing at.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

Re the cegb ones at Kearsley, what period does this yellow cover ?

As a kid I used cycle down to Kearsley PS as the site was closing, it had a motley collection of some preserved stuff, as well as their own electric locos and the 05’s.

I recall the 05’s being a more pinky orange colour, as seen here, after arrival at Bury Transport Museum.. i suspect it started orange and faded pinkish.

1983-06 108888 Copyright KCooke Class 05s Bury sme v2 badge

flickr url/ not mine. (I am the kid in the red body warmer in this picture).

as you see early 1980’s the wagons look to closely match the 05’s which definitely werent yellow.

https://railpic.net/martynhilbert/gallery/displayimage.php?album=9&pid=5092

https://railpic.net/martynhilbert/gallery/displayimage.php?album=9&pid=2639

https://andrewstransport.smugmug.com/LesTindalls1970sBritishtrains/Bolton-industrial-electrics

https://railpic.net/martynhilbert/gallery/displayimage.php?album=9&pid=5095#top_display_media

Heres a cegb battery loco (not at Kearsley), but I seem to recall it being there for storage before MOSI opened, but sharing the same scheme

CEGB battery loco, Astley Bridge Junction, Sun 29 April 1979 1.  This is as far as CEGB locos were allowed from the power station, visible in the background.  Photo by Les Tindall.

flickr url/ not mine

was this an earlier period ?

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
11 minutes ago, Islesy said:

Links in Paul B's post @adb968008 - they're from 1979.

Interesting I dont recall them, I know there was some dark blue ones painted up and lined, just like the electrics, but that  may have been a preservation thing, though dont think any where saved.

I guess it gives potential for another run in the orange livery too.

Edited by adb968008

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold
11 hours ago, Accurascale Fran said:

Hi @JN,

Doh! Many thanks for that. Fat fingers on my part. Now amended!

Cheers!

Fran 

That’s Welsh for you isn’t it? Good job it wasn’t Hafodyrynys …. 

• Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

12 minutes ago, MJI said:

Are there plans for MCV and MXV with no top flaps?

Believe in the launch video they said those would be in future runs, with this run being the unfitted variants.

• Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

Finished paying off my first order of these last month, and went straight on and placed another! I've still got a rake of part built Parkside mins, which will get finished eventually, probably! One lot can be loaded, the other empties maybe.

I keep toying with the idea of adding a colliery exchange siding to my layout, to give my Planet Industrials Victory somewhere to roam, especially with the HUOs I already have (any chance of some more of them one day please?!) I think having a number of 16t to mix in will more or less seal the deal on that permanent way development!

Looking forward to seeing more development progress, and, of course, them clanking around my layout!

Cheers

J

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Be careful of this exchange siding business, J; mine expanded into a colliery by order of The Squeeze...

It happened like this, I had a colliery exchange loop where empties were left by BR locos, then collected and taken to the colliery fiddle yard (you'd call them staging roads) by a colliery loco.  In town one day I saw a rather nice Hunslet 'Austerity' saddle tank in a 2h shop for a reasonable price, and it came home with me.  No hiding railway purchases at my place, which is a small flat, The Squeeze is supportive, and I was about to find out just how supportive... 

The layout lives in the one bedroom, and perhaps germane to this is that The Squeeze is Polish and her father is a Silesian coal miner, both facts of which she is rightly proud.  I explained the purpose of the new loco to her, and the response was 'but where is colliery?'.  'No room', quoth I.  'Build colliery', she says, 'I want photos for my father'.  'But it will have to go here, and the fiddle yard will go here, in your way to get to your dressing table and the wardrobe'.  'How big you think is my dupa (bum) (I know the answer to this, it is silence and keep your head down), build the kurwa (not translatable on a family forum) colliery!'.  So I built the kurwa colliery; this one's a keeper!

• Like 3
  • Round of applause 2
  • Funny 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1