The next diesel/electric loco from accurascale?

39 minutes ago, adb968008 said:

Too late, the bunnies already out of that hat, indeed its out, and its brothers and sisters and they are all reproducing like rabbits everywhere.

At least they are a bit more amusing to read than the ‘any updates’ question when the last 20 posts are all discussing the updates just released by the manufacturer….

2 hours ago, creweboy said:

making MUs is better choice but the cost of 3 or 4 car units has become so excessive that it has issues as well?

Have a look at what Accurascale's Irish arm are doing with the Irish Intercity units which would suggest the answer to your question would be "no".  Keen pricing for an ultra-niche model plus payment plans would suggest Accurascale could move into multi car unit trains and make every effort to make them affordable as possible.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 2

I’ve got a sneaky feeling Cavalex are going to do the 58. I thought their class 60 announcement was going to be this.

Heljan 58 was ok, but did suffer from crude details, especially cab handrails. Mine seemed to lose a bit of its innards every so often as well!

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
On 07/09/2023 at 16:24, Giannis Halkis said:

Surely the class 58 is the diesel most in need of bringing up to date?

The Hornby one is positively ancient and the Heljan one? I had a couple and they were quite poor, they wouldn’t pull for toffee and the detailing is crude at best. Barely equal to the final Lima models in my opinion.

G.

My Heljan 58 will happily pull a full rake of 36 Cavalex HAAs, and they drag quite a lot. 

Roy

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, Roy Langridge said:

My Heljan 58 will happily pull a full rake of 36 Cavalex HAAs, and they drag quite a lot. 

Roy

My Heljan 58 is nearly as powerful as my Hornby 56, probably more powerful than my (previous issue) Bachmann 47's - definitely not a poor hauler.

Al.

On 07/09/2023 at 15:04, wombatofludham said:

The Class 310 and superficially similar 312 (different front end details and different arrangement of guard's van doors being the two main differences) actually covered quite a wide area, the 310s initially being confined to the WCML but did work up to Manchester, around Birmingham and out of London, so three of the most populous areas of the country, and in later years were regularly diagrammed up to Lancaster on summer Saturdays from Birmingham, whilst in addition to the small Birmingham batch of 312s, the later design worked the Great Eastern and the Great Northern where they replaced the 31s and Mk1 non corridor stock Accurascale are producing.  The range of liveries is also extensive.

So, a suite of tooling that allows the 310 and 312 to be modelled, in 3 and 4 car formations could tick a lot of boxes in terms of operational areas.  More so than, say, the Mk5 sleepers or the soon to be withdrawn Nova 3 Mk5 push pull sets.

Totally agree Mark

IIRC the 310s worked as far north as Kings Lynn on the GE, in their second life, after replaced by 317s  on the WCML. 

But not only that, I believe 310s were dragged by class 31s during weekend engineering work   as well as class 56s on special 

www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/2207298120/

And class 37s  www.sixbellsjunction.co.uk/90s/900929_1.htm

• RMweb Gold
On 08/09/2023 at 13:54, jonnyuk said:

really?????????? its a bloody good model already. there are loco's never produced that people would like or models from the 80's that need re-doing. Lets just stop assuming every model needs a refresh.

Well said!

However, if we are going down the route of asking for an upgrade to an already perfectly good model, how about a Hymek? The lack of sprung buffers on the Heljan/EFE one is clearly grounds for an upgrade... 😉😉

• Funny 1

9 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well said!

However, if we are going down the route of asking for an upgrade to an already perfectly good model, how about a Hymek? The lack of sprung buffers on the Heljan/EFE one is clearly grounds for an upgrade... 😉😉

I genuinely don’t know which of my rolling stock has sprung buffers and which does not. 
Never understood how or why this is perceived as purportedly a mark of “quality”? 

-Jon.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, Super-Sloth said:

I genuinely don’t know which of my rolling stock has sprung buffers and which does not. 
Never understood how or why this is perceived as purportedly a mark of “quality”? 

-Jon.

Generally, I don't think that sprung buffers add all that much to OO models, but they can be useful in P4, when doing a propelling movement, where the tighter clearances and smaller flanges mean that derailments are possibly more likely.

The Hymek, however, has fairly long buffers and these, when taken with the use of 3-link or screw-link couplings, can sometimes cause problems on the sharper radius curves.

Some RTR models that do have sprung buffers have them set too hard, in other words, it takes an unprototypical amount of force to compress them.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Well said!

Not to mention the pathetic apology for a fan grille .

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Downer said:

What will we wish for when all the diesels have been done right?

Industrials.

Apologies if someone's already canvassed for this, but there is a distinct gap in RTR provision of these, pre-Sentinel/YE Janus centre cab jackshaft drive diesel mechanicals from the 1950s or even late 40s, produced by the likes of AB, Fowler, North British and such.  A revisit of the D27xx once produced with a completely ficticious underframe and in H0 by Playcraft/Jouef might be a starter idea, or reworking any of the Hornby toys with Smokeyjoe-based mechs.  Since it was Hornby that took the first plunge into full-fat industrials with the W4 Peckett, I am a little surprised that this move apparently hasn't occurred to them, but their trainset culture has probably obscured any such thought, as in 'we've already got panelled clerestories and an auto-trailer which sell well with good margins, why should we tool up for better ones'.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, The Johnster said:

Since it was Hornby that took the first plunge into full-fat industrials with the W4 Peckett

Oh the tales I could tell on that subject, and the work it took to keep the project alive…

• Agree 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 4