HS125's to Mexico.

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, Knapdale said:

“Barring the handful of units still on duty in Scotland..”

Interesting definition of “handful”!

All things are relative....

When you consider the huge number of HSTs built by BR or the numbers in use by GWR before the arrival of the IETs then the quantity of HSTs still in use by ScotRail could indeed be considered 'a handful'

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Ray M said:

Do we know the numbers of the ones, going on holiday.

Power cars were 43022 43158 & 43170 

Mk.3s going to Mexico are 41091, 41100, 42026, 42179, 42401, 42402, 42405, 44034, 44061, 44063, 44094.

all sailed on the BBC Arkhangelsk which should have docked at Coatzacoalcos in Mexico yesterday 

Apparently a further 3 shipments are planned and should be sliding door MK3 coaches next time.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

Having seen some of the FerroMex videos on YouTube I fear for their longevity!

Mike.

It's a brand new line in the Yucatan Peninsula* and was originally planned for electric operation. Either they ran out of money  or the electrification was delayed so the 125's were purchased as a stop gap. *The Yucatan Peninsula is a big tourist area with a poor road infrastructure. A railway was chosen for ecological reasons.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 1 month later...
9 hours ago, adb968008 said:

First test run video..

https://www.facebook.com/reel/1769804750149577

Are we sure these are for the Tren Maya? According to Wikipedia they’re for this, but I can’t work out if that’s part of the same thing or a separate but related project.

On 09/09/2023 at 12:57, Neil said:

I’ve always found these systems interesting. The motorised car in one of the photos might make them easier to model.

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
43 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Are we sure these are for the Tren Maya? According to Wikipedia they’re for this, but I can’t work out if that’s part of the same thing or a separate but related project.

Thats what is stated in the original article but such are the delays and cost overruns on the Tren Maya* they may have been diverted to the other line. Or it may only be because the Tren Maya is not ready yet that they are using another line for testing.

*Think HS2.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I understand this line will connect to Tren Maya at some stage, but this line is a Gulf coast to pacific coast line crossing the arm of the peninsula.

Tren Maya is getting brand new stock, but it replaces the tourist road routes to the various Mayan ruins..,this is in the fist of the yucatan peninsula.

Once off the tourist track.. the budget will drop, hence tren maya stops, and this picks up…

website here

https://www.ferroistmo.com.mx

Coatzacoalcos To Salinas

Overall I see it as a Mexican government plan to restablish passenger services to this line, in addition to freight, whilst adding rail services to the Mayan peninsula.

It certainly could use better transport connections, this was the roads on the peninsula when I was there.

5BE71F11-D15E-4E04-90F5-5FC7861E988B.jpeg.a2be7e90254868f698db7c220b46ffb5.jpeg18E62AC2-82D2-4E49-9F9C-F55FCCB6E7E9.jpeg.54d31baa28893776fd3f38909ef222a9.jpeg

B1D5D512-E270-437C-980D-392E0BF57888.jpeg.d7b45a7a43d52923c3840f6bb6371faa.jpeg

ultimately TrenMaya is about getting Cruise ship tourists from their boat, to places like this…

E79782CD-87C1-489E-B29D-3792123A064D.jpeg.03082df29a86c81c24744f77fb7e73cf.jpeg

the ruins of Chacchoben, yucatan peninsula.

The HSTs job will be a lot less glamourous, more likely moving freighter crews, oil workers and supporting industry workers from one coast to another… dont be surprised if they bring some farm animals, truck tyres, electricals etc with them (i kid you not). Those TGSs wont be wasted.

On the north coast of the crossing point of this peninsula theres some pretty steep mountains to cross, inc trains running in steep curves. At the south end its flat almost desert like.

Ive been to Mexico 6 times, each time a different part.. its a laid back way of life, comparable to say villages in Eastern europe…as side of the cities, which are dusty and choatic, but its fun… you’ll not have any issues window hanging the Mexican countryside on a HST here… counter to the Hollywood narrative, the locals are friendly (just becareful around the US borders.. but the HSTs are several hundred miles from there.. once its clear the what and how many, I may make another trip).

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 2

26 minutes ago, PhilJ W said:

Thats what is stated in the original article but such are the delays and cost overruns on the Tren Maya* they may have been diverted to the other line. Or it may only be because the Tren Maya is not ready yet that they are using another line for testing.

*Think HS2.

Have they still only got three power cars? I would have thought a fourth would be useful to form two sets, unless it’s just one set and a spare.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
18 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Have they still only got three power cars? I would have thought a fourth would be useful to form two sets, unless it’s just one set and a spare.

Apparently others are on their way.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, adb968008 said:

It certainly could use better transport connections, this was the roads on the peninsula when I was there.

I, too, was there several years ago on the tourist path and my experience was that the roads were not near as bad as the one in the picture - at least the main ones, such as Merida - Valladolid - Tulum or the "local" (not toll) Merida - Campeche road. The pavement was in good shape (freshly repaved in a few places) and there was a frequent bus service providing several types of accommodation, we stuck to ADO (Autobuses de Oriente) because they were the ones with the A/C buses. Saw very little rail activity, some switching around Merida station and signs of traffic (palleted cement) at Valladolid. Track was in absolutely parlous condition there.

Cheers NB

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
On 12/10/2023 at 18:28, 009 micro modeller said:

Have they been re-geared or adapted for the warmer climate in any way? I think the Australian XPTs are geared differently due to their 100mph line speed.

Not as far as I know, they actually travelled at 125 MPH on very few occasions, that is the fastest attainable speed. Gearing down for a lower speed will increase the likelihood of overheating anyway. The only probable change would be to increase the fuel capacity as the line they're intended for is over 900 miles long (when finished), three times the typical distance they ran in the UK.

• Like 2