Paxton Road - 1990 Speedlink in 500mm of British N…

From 90s Speedlink to late 70s - today’s visit finds a pair of Molasses tanks for Distillers left in the yard…

IMG_3023.jpeg

Wonderful models from Revolution Trains, weathered and fitted with discreet DG couplings.

• Like 15
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

Practice!

I can whole heartedly recommend Gordon Gravett’s book on Grassland.

I learnt the basics from trying ideas from that - in N use 1 and 2mm fibres, but the postiche and scatter technique works well for brambles. I also only use a Peco precision applicator. Yes, I have to recharge it frequently with fresh fibres, but the variation from mixing them each time adds to the layout. Hope that helps!

Thanks to all for the kind words - I’ll share more soon. Perhaps back to BR blue? We’ll see…

• Informative/Useful 3

IMG_3004.jpeg

Two staples of BR for many years were the humble class 08 shunter and the 16t mineral wagon. Long lived stalwarts, unsung heroes, battered, bruised and full of character…

Often we see all sorts of exotic vehicles represented in pre-Speedlink pick up goods, but by far the most numerous should be the humble mineral wagon, representing largely coal traffic across the country, heating peoples homes and fueling our industry.

This quartet of N gauge examples are all from the Graham Farish stable, and are lovely models that capture the prototype well. Note two different body styles… some of the MCOs were repaired and re bodied without top flap doors. Less obvious are the different brake arrangements. Out of the box three were pristine, and even the weathered example lacked realism. 

The usual wash (98/33) applied to the chassis and I thought I’d try it on the body as a first step. Disaster! I’d not thinned it enough and it was a bit thicker than usual. Oh well, I persevered and finished the side and used a brush to carefully remove it rather than the rag I’d normally have used to remove a thinner wash, leaving it just a trace in the edges and crevices. No, this brush removed thicker wash was much heavier and the results looks very pleasing, so much so that I carried on across the batch.

The trick is to keep the streaks as vertical as you can, to maintain a plausible result. The rest is observation, years spent absorbing the prototype in photos and reality, letting those memories inform the strokes and flourishes with the brush.

Posed here on Paxton Road with the 03 they share a family likeness yes no pair are the same. Another wonderful accident and one I’ll save up for future, we only learn from having a go, so I’d encourage you to try your own hand at your models and breathe some life into them...

IMG_3005.jpeg

This post is copied from today’s blog. I update my website daily with a myriad of projects in different scales, gauges and prototypes. If you enjoy this sort of thing then take a look: https://paxton-road.blogspot.com

If you’ve not seen it, I’ve added another thread about my more recent HiFi micro layout, Lochdubh, Scottish highlands in the 80s…

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 3

You didn't fancy thinning down the top edge of the wagons to suggest a more prototypical thickness of the body?

Not that I blame you, get it wrong and you've got a wavy thickness or a razor blade edge.

I was watching a 2mm FS build and the 2mm FS body is also too thick so they suggested filing the top edge down a bit to make it look more like the real thing.

I guess at this scale the realities of precision versus robustness are all the more tricky.

• Agree 1

39 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

You didn't fancy thinning down the top edge of the wagons to suggest a more prototypical thickness of the body?

This is a great question, thank you! I love thinking about this sort of thing…

I view my models at eye level so the overly thick edges never really bother me actually, but even if they did, I’m not sure I’d bother - I’d rather a thicker consistent edge then a wavy ‘thin’ one. I think as an artist I’m happy with this compromise, but equally accept others who may have a different approach and balance they’re happy with.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 minutes ago, Steven B said:

James, do you you Humbrol enamels or acrylics for your weathering?

Steven B

I’m dyed in the wool enamels… but am intending to try out some of their acrylics to see how they behave. My concern is a wash with water as a solvent won’t work, and IPA for me in the past has left a white haze. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, James Hilton said:

This quartet of N gauge examples are all from the Graham Farish stable, and are lovely models that capture the prototype well. Note two different body styles… some of the MCOs were repaired and re bodied without top flap doors. Less obvious are the different brake arrangements. Out of the box three were pristine, and even the weathered example lacked realism. 

Brake van parked 'off stage' during shunting?

• 1 month later...

IMG_3453.jpeg

A project that has been ticking along is the 'flask' train in N - although the 31 isn't weathered yet, seen here 'running around' on Paxton Road it still has all the character of the prototype and brings the 1990s to life in my small cameo and in my heart. I love these sector liveries in particular. They recapture the excitement of the prototype 'new' in my youth...

• Like 15
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, James Hilton said:

the second has had a series written about its conversion (below)

IMG_4163.jpeg

Have I missed something somewhere, James, please .... or have I just forgotten (as usual !)

Regards,

Ian.

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, James Hilton said:

2 hours ago, James Hilton said:

Thanks for that James, have got the BRM article, have got your latest book ... but have totally missed your Lochdubh thread ... expect lots of 'likes' and 'craftsmanship' notifications over the weekend from me !

Regards,

Ian.

• Friendly/supportive 1

5 hours ago, 03060 said:

Thanks for that James, have got the BRM article, have got your latest book ... but have totally missed your Lochdubh thread ... expect lots of 'likes' and 'craftsmanship' notifications over the weekend from me !

Regards,

Ian.

Ian that’s great - I’m working on two new books too… hopefully one will

definitely be ready this year, a companion to ‘The Art’ with pure case studies - lots and lots of lovely layouts and full page imagery.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 2

• 2 weeks later...

IMG_3702.jpeg

08761, a gently weathered Farish 08, silent on Paxton Road. This transports me not just to childhood memories of Chester station watching similar liveried Sprinters, but to the library on a Saturday morning, in the basement level, sat on the big box steps at the back with a book from the ‘Transport’ section pouring over all the new sector liveries. 

Today’s blog, a slightly off-piste commentary on ‘art’ again…

https://paxton-road.blogspot.com/2024/03/nostalgia-and-lack-of-clutter.html

• Like 13

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, James Hilton said:

IMG_3702.jpeg

08761, a gently weathered Farish 08, silent on Paxton Road. This transports me not just to childhood memories of Chester station watching similar liveried Sprinters, but to the library on a Saturday morning, in the basement level, sat on the big box steps at the back with a book from the ‘Transport’ section pouring over all the new sector liveries. 

Today’s blog, a slightly off-piste commentary on ‘art’ again…

https://paxton-road.blogspot.com/2024/03/nostalgia-and-lack-of-clutter.html

Lovely photo, very evocative & full of atmosphere.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

Hi,

Having asked about your track on your scottish layout thread, and gotten inspiration from your other layouts, I have taken the plunge and.....joined the 2mm society - got some DG couplings....also a blue hymek and class 25......and a class 121 after seeing your 'winter scene' single line halt.

oh and I got a certain book (Small Layout Design Handbook) for my birthday last week. My wife wants a word with you as you are a bad influence apparently 😆.

I am planning a micro so I can order some track (sticking with N gauge British Finescale) - hopefully will start something here soon.

regards,

James

• Like 8

On 23/03/2024 at 16:13, GWR57xx said:

Lovely photo, very evocative & full of atmosphere.

Thank you!

4 hours ago, jamest said:

Hi,

Having asked about your track on your scottish layout thread, and gotten inspiration from your other layouts, I have taken the plunge and.....joined the 2mm society - got some DG couplings....also a blue hymek and class 25......and a class 121 after seeing your 'winter scene' single line halt.

oh and I got a certain book (Small Layout Design Handbook) for my birthday last week. My wife wants a word with you as you are a bad influence apparently 😆.

I am planning a micro so I can order some track (sticking with N gauge British Finescale) - hopefully will start something here soon.

regards,

James

James - sounds like the bug has truly bitten. The small layout offers those with space a welcome distraction and chance to indulge in diversions away from a longer term project. It offers the space starved a valuable approach to creating real character in a small space. A small layout is not small on the inside!

Good luck with the N - I have loved it all. The DG Couplings transform the look of models and the Farish locomotives run beautifully.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1