Paxton Road - 1990 Speedlink in 500mm of British N…

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, James Hilton said:

I hope no one is sick of photos yet! There are a few more I’m sure…

Your range of stock appears extensive; do you do requests...?  😀

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

8 minutes ago, Steven B said:

Lovely work James. 

It does show a much needed hole that needs filling with decent 1970s air-braked vans - VAA, VBA, VCA & VDA.

Steven B

The old Farish VBA scrubs up quite easily, if you can find one!

D3789227-9090-4AC7-9B71-CA9AACCD730D.jpe
All I’ve done here is replace the couplings, thin the buffer heads and weather it. It’s a late one, so Chinese and the printing is great.
I agree it seems a big gap, I’d love to see Bachmann shrink ray the VDA! 

• Like 7

• RMweb Gold

At the risk of digressing into the ‘æsthetics of railway operation’, please may I suggest that with such a compact layout a larger van such as a VAA, especially in multiple, might ‘overwhelm’ the vista.  The Vanwides and Presflos, even when in triplicate, appear to me suitably ‘bijou’, whereas a bogie van (or a Co-Co diesel) perhaps would appear monstrous.  A bogie flat or bolster might look less intrusive though.  Just a thought.

If you have a rail blue ‘33’ to show a Southern Region exile, I would be grateful…  🙂  Thanks for any more photos.  Inspiring stuff.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, C126 said:

At the risk of digressing into the ‘æsthetics of railway operation’…

No problem at all… 

I think they can over power operation, I tend to use the 2 axle stuff… the open wagons are longer but low, cement and the TTA are shorter. I have a few of the wonderful VEAs from Sonic too, not quite sure what’s being unloaded since they mainly served military traffic!

Sadly no Dapol 33, although I have pondered one, as well as a 27 to complete the set. The 33 would have to be Dutch though!

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, James Hilton said:

Sadly no Dapol 33, although I have pondered one, as well as a 27 to complete the set. The 33 would have to be Dutch though!

I was not even sure there was a '33' in 'N'.  I look forward to it being confirmed for your 'medium-term traction plan'.  Thanks as ever.

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
23 hours ago, James Hilton said:

The old Farish VBA scrubs up quite easily, if you can find one!

I have several of them, although mostly Poole era models. The body shell is very good given it's age but it's let down by the chunky underframe which is rather poor by today's standards.

The depressed centre PCA is the other key wagon in need of an upgrade.

Steven B

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

Agreed.

The PGA will be out, at some point, with Rails / Cavalex, but the PCA would be a welcome addition. It’s Heljan who have done it in O though, isn’t it?
I’ve some Rapido OAA on order, to support their N scale range, but they’re much less useful to me.

The EFE range is interesting though. If we see all of Kernow’s OO range shrink rayed then I’d love to see the PRA.

I recently picked up a PBA, not for Paxton Road as it’s too big, but a future clay based scheme.

CB8ED7D4-666F-4214-A6B1-8A9226E4BA0D.jpe

• Like 9

Thank you Kevin, and all who have said such kind words about his tiny layout that was born from a desire to experiment with the possibilities of a new to me scale.

I am displaying the layout TODAY at the Llangollen Railway diesel gala. I shall be on the platform at Corwen in the waiting room. If you’re visiting do say hello! 

• Like 3

On 12/09/2023 at 09:19, James Hilton said:

Thanks Marc!

I hope no one is sick of photos yet! There are a few more I’m sure…

11159665-C1DE-4315-83E8-97C56EC190F7.jpe

Superb layout James, it’s hard to believe its n gauge, just shows what can be achieved in the scale these days.

Can I ask are the blackadder scrap wagons kits or scratch built ? 

Ben

Edited by Ben86

12 hours ago, Ben86 said:

Can I ask are the blackadder scrap wagons kits or scratch built ?

Peco chassis reworked and finessed with new buffers and finer wheels, bodies from Shapeways with etched ladders. Transfers by Railtec.

More here:

https://paxton-road.blogspot.com/2023/05/black-adder-black-adder-n-part-54.html

Edited by James Hilton
  • Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

11 hours ago, James Hilton said:

Peco chassis reworked and finessed with new buffers and finer wheels, bodies from Shapeways with etched ladders. Transfers by Railtec.

More here:

https://paxton-road.blogspot.com/2023/05/black-adder-black-adder-n-part-54.html

Thank you James, I may after build a few, after seeing these it’s given me a few ideas for a n gauge scrapyard.

thanks

Ben

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, James Hilton said:

16734704-5D00-47A0-9743-5952100DCEB5.jpe

AD0DFE58-0A22-4779-96D7-513161090873.jpe

42B2301C-7702-43D4-B148-68032307973F.jpe

It might be a bit boring but BR General epitomised the 1990s for me, not my favourite but mundane and a sad foreshadowing of privatisation and the debacle yet colourful railway that followed.

With the intention of modelling the West Highland Line I bought, err, rather a lot of Farish Class 37s over the last 18 months or so and wasn't going to bother with the reps special Engs Grey version but having seen one or two photos of locos in this livery it rather grew on me, so I relented and got one last week from York. I have to say it looks rather good in my opinion. I'd already got the 08 in this livery but to use as a base for a rather special livery ... but looking at your pictures I may be tempted to leave it alone.

A lovely piece of work James that I've only recently discovered.

Regards,

Ian.

• Friendly/supportive 1

Thank you all for the continued likes…

Remember one thing the layout shows, is that we all have space for a model railway - and second, that a small layout doesn’t need to compromise on a feeling of space, balance and ‘realism’.

This photo shows just how small the layout looked on display a few weeks ago at the Llangollen Diesel gala:

D929728E-66E8-475C-8352-54A545834DB3.jpe

• Like 11
  • Friendly/supportive 1