Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Things that you've never seen on an exhibition layout but would love to see happen?

• RMweb Premium

Re failed engines, I sometimes ran a DMU with a [Thunderbird] loco, simulating a failure. 

And I also occasionally ran a DMU with a 'swinger' parcels bogie. I know I'm not the only one to do this but think it's pretty rare. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Maybe someone has done this before but it would be really cool to have a 'failed' engine replacement or just an 'engine switch' at a station rather than the locos running straight through or just normally stopping at the station.

Dagworth featured loco changes on London to Norwich trains, 86 to 47 and vice versa. My Ipswich layout will have the same but in a model of the prototype location rather than a fictional station.

Andi

• Like 7

3 minutes ago, jpendle said:

Someone flushing the toilet in a MK1.

Probably best appreciated in one of the larger scales 🤢

John P

With a bit of hydrogen sulphide mixed into the ejecta?

• Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
55 minutes ago, Mallard60022 said:

Slip Coach.

Phil

21 minutes ago, Dave Hunt said:

On Bob Essery's Dewsbury we used to change engines in the station. I've also seen a slip coach modelled but can't recall what the layout was called.

Dave

Yatton?

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, OnTheBranchline said:

Maybe someone has done this before but it would be really cool to have a 'failed' engine replacement or just an 'engine switch' at a station rather than the locos running straight through or just normally stopping at the station.

Used to do regular steam/diesel swaps on railtours on a few layouts in the past.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

A working shunting horse ...

A member of Twickenham MRC made one many years ago. I think it was G scale and the horse's legs were jointed and actually moved and it was the legs that really dragged the thing along but I only saw it on his demo stand diorama rather than a layout. 

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Slip coaches and banking engines picking up and dropping off trains are easy to do with DCC but you need a very big layout for the action to play out. Servos have allowed several forms of movement to be achieved which were difficult but as always novel things soon become a cliche. 

17 hours ago, Kylestrome said:

A working shunting horse ...

Hi,

Not quite the same, but I've seen a working horse tram layout when I was helping with another layout, we couldn't work out what the noise was until we saw someone banging two coconut shells together and then worked it all out!

Simon

• Like 3
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
16 hours ago, jpendle said:

Someone flushing the toilet in a MK1.

Probably best appreciated in one of the larger scales 🤢

John P

Highly unrealistic - they were always blocked or the water tank was empty.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Claude_Dreyfus said:

There was a working slip coach on a layout back in the 70s. Long Suffren? I seem to recall a Railway Modeller article about it.

Railway of the Month in April 1977 and the slip coach is mentioned.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1