Hornby TT120 1st Anniversary

luke_stevens

Tuesday 10th October is the 1st anniversary of Hornby's TT120 range. There seems to be suggestions of some announcement and a press event.

Previously there have been rumours of a previously unannounced 0-6-0 tank loco and an 08 in green.

As that wouldn't make a great announcement / press event on their own, I was wondering what else they might announce / show progress on.

My thought are:

08 in BR Green and in BR Executive (to match the Mk2 coaches)

The 0-6-0T to be a Jinty, though a Terrier would be nice :)

NSE 50 and Mk1 coaches in NSE

Pre-production model of the Duchess, and an announcement of the BR Maroon livery version

Pre-production models of the Mk1 SO and the Mk1 full baggage

3d print of the Cl 31

3d print of the 9F

3d print of the Gresley teak coaches

Thoughts?

Luke

Edited by luke_stevens

• Moderators
23 minutes ago, luke_stevens said:

That's a bit of a concern. Hopefully we'll still get something announced on TT120 Day? 

Luke

You probably will (based on your other post), they just seemed to have postponed a press briefing.

• Thanks 1

And there I am wanting a Duchess in BR Maroon... I go back and reread the Hornby TT120 catalogue and in the descriptive piece it talks about the first 3 Duchesses:

"... the first being in LMS Crimson, while the second is resplendent in BR Green, with the third model presented in BR Maroon" which doesn't match the photos / item numbers at all.

I'm hoping!

Luke

• Like 1

Am I behind the times or has this been around for a while,

Phase Four will see the arrival of the Class 31, again in various liveries and formats. For those interested in steam locomotives 'The Great Western Castle' will be introduced in various liveries and periods as well as two 0-6-0 locomotives namely the LNER/BR J94 and the GWR/BR Class 5700 Pannier Tank.

10 hours ago, Jeff Smith said:

Am I behind the times or has this been around for a while,

Phase Four will see the arrival of the Class 31, again in various liveries and formats. For those interested in steam locomotives 'The Great Western Castle' will be introduced in various liveries and periods as well as two 0-6-0 locomotives namely the LNER/BR J94 and the GWR/BR Class 5700 Pannier Tank.

That was exactly a year ago!

Thought there would be a bit more happening apart from a competition. But I don't think those on Facebook quite understand the question, or am I getting it wrong? Thought it was a subtle way of wishlisting.

"What locomotive you would love to have in Hornby TT:120 scale".

All saying Flying Scotsman and Mallard.

I put GWR Large Prairie as I need something to go with that PECO station, but via the website as I don't do FB!

Jason

Just had an email concerning the TT120 club. Salient points:

Ongoing will be digital only

Quarterly digital magazine

Access to the club section

No discounts (I'll read again to confirm)

No badges, membership cards or lanyards

But its still free!

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

8 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

Could this mean that it will be cheaper to buy TT models from the retailers rather than Hornby?

For me yes,  now that there is no discount, it will be cheaper for me to purchace Hornby TT:120 items from Modellbahn Union or MSL lippe rather than direct from Hornby in future.

• Like 1

I've just renewed. I suspect (guess!) that there will be some offers over the year to members but as its free anyhow it doesn't make any difference to me. I'll buy where I get the best deal, like most people.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
5 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

"What locomotive you would love to have in Hornby TT:120 scale".

All saying Flying Scotsman and Mallard.

Well, being Hornby, there must be a re-tooled A3 with different-metal-bits-this-time due in TT before long😉

Personally I'm hoping for the commemorative Strathspey collision pack, the Great Crunching...

48 minutes ago, Robin Brasher said:

Could this mean that it will be cheaper to buy TT models from the retailers rather than Hornby?

Depends on what offers and discounts the retailers are doing. Also worth considering that Hornby do free postage over £50 which some retailers don't.

Always worth shopping around. 

Just looked now and those Hobby Points do accumulate pretty quicky. Currently got over £34 to spend on something!

Jason

30 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Depends on what offers and discounts the retailers are doing. Also worth considering that Hornby do free postage over £50 which some retailers don't.

Always worth shopping around. 

Just looked now and those Hobby Points do accumulate pretty quicky. Currently got over £34 to spend on something!

Jason

I used all my points a while ago on a loco that plays the National Anthem...

I'll wait until Hornby produces some late crest green diesels.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold

My membership runs out tonight so pre-ordered a load of stuff I was on the fence about that won’t turn up until next year, also bought some coaches today as i was on the fence about given double points today and last day of membership discount, worth considering 

• Like 1

On 08/10/2023 at 21:44, luke_stevens said:

Tuesday 10th October is the 1st anniversary of Hornby's TT120 range. There seems to be suggestions of some announcement and a press event.

Previously there have been rumours of a previously unannounced 0-6-0 tank loco and an 08 in green.

As that wouldn't make a great announcement / press event on their own, I was wondering what else they might announce / show progress on.

My thought are:

08 in BR Green and in BR Executive (to match the Mk2 coaches)

The 0-6-0T to be a Jinty, though a Terrier would be nice :)

NSE 50 and Mk1 coaches in NSE

Pre-production model of the Duchess, and an announcement of the BR Maroon livery version

Pre-production models of the Mk1 SO and the Mk1 full baggage

3d print of the Cl 31

3d print of the 9F

3d print of the Gresley teak coaches

Thoughts?

Luke

I think I may have been over-optimistic  🤣🤣🤣

L

• Agree 2

7 hours ago, luke_stevens said:

I think I may have been over-optimistic  🤣🤣🤣

I think many of you were, there was no way it was going to be any of things you or others said, but Social Media went wild about it and, as usual, came back down to earth with a bump... I think I was one of the few that didn't expect anything special so wasn't disappointed! 😂

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Free is good but, on the other hand, why is it free?  There's nothing tangible in the package so they can't really charge 30 quid for it...

I get the impression that TT120 is a bit of a problem for them and this is some sort of holding action whilst they consider the next steps.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, smr248 said:

Free is good but, on the other hand, why is it free?  There's nothing tangible in the package so they can't really charge 30 quid for it...

I get the impression that TT120 is a bit of a problem for them and this is some sort of holding action whilst they consider the next steps.

Now that Simon and Montana have gone, its probable that any leeway the TT120 project had has vanished in a puff of uninterested factions within Hornby guarding their own baliwicks.  Cutbacks and retrenchment will be the order of the day.

Because its all digital, Hornby save money on printing stuff and making TT120 specific badges and membership cards.  And because its free, there's no financial offset for Hornby so the membership discounts go.  The TT120 club is now a targeted mailing list, with various info packages produced by the marketing team on a quarterly basis, other mailing list stuff and access to some videos.

You'd be pretty annoyed if you had to pay for all that....

I'll sign up for the "maiing list" concept, if only to get warnings about what I'm interested in, if they appear.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hroth said:

Now that Simon and Montana have gone, its probable that any leeway the TT120 project had has vanished in a puff of uninterested factions within Hornby guarding their own baliwicks.  Cutbacks and retrenchment will be the order of the day.

Your evidence for that is where?

Another way of reading what's happened is that the initial offers were to get the scale going, once it was (is!) there is no need for all the extras, especially ones like a paper magazine which would have been costing them a lot if money with no return. What they've done seems perfectly logical.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, smr248 said:

Really? Where do you get that impression from? 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, smr248 said:

If the range was bigger they could have done. They could easily add a "free" Exclusive wagon like they do with the Airfix Club members getting a free kit.

Don't get many complaints that Bachmann have a N Gauge Collectors Club, or even now 009, as well as the 00 version. All with free wagons.

Maybe that would seem to be too similar to Bachmann though. I can hear the "They're just copying Bachmann" moans already....

Jason

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

If the range was bigger they could have done. They could easily add a "free" Exclusive wagon like they do with the Airfix Club members getting a free kit.

Don't get many complaints that Bachmann have a N Gauge Collectors Club, or even now 009, as well as the 00 version. All with free wagons.

I suspect that they have a quite substantial membership initially because it was "free", and are taking the pragmatic approach that they can retain and grow that membership if it remains "free to user" without allocating additional funds to support that free membership with physical things.  Me, even though I've not actually purchased any of the range yet, would be severely tempted to take out a paid membership for the magazine and wotnot (club wagons would be nice...) but that's not to be (my loss).

13 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Maybe that would seem to be too similar to Bachmann though. I can hear the "They're just copying Bachmann" moans already....

The Hornby collector's club sent out wagons and locos for your membership, so this isn't an unknown to Hornby.  Maybe a paid premium club membership might come down the line.

Whilst I'm not presently a member of either the Bachmann or Hornby Collectors Clubs, my impression was always that Hornby's "freebies" were more generous, but the Bachmann magazine was better for content.  The TT magazines have somewhat redressed that in my mind.

Edited by frobisher
  • Like 1