Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

EFE Rail - Winter 2023 Announcements inc. Southern 'Booster'

AY Mod

On 01/01/2024 at 19:11, Metropolitan said:

I doubt its worth buying. That's why it's EFE. Needs to see what Sam's Trains has to say.

On 01/01/2024 at 21:19, phil gollin said:

.So what do you  imagine is wrong with the model ?   I'm happy with what I see..

On 02/01/2024 at 09:16, Metropolitan said:

The price.

On 02/01/2024 at 09:37, AY Mod said:

Well don't buy it then - you've just destroyed any validity to your earlier comment and made yourself look dumb.

Amazing.  If you aren't happy with the price you really don't need to buy it.  Some do some don't.  It's like everything else in life, you either pay xx GBP for a premier league football match, or you don't. You can pay xx GBP for a football shirt if you want to. You can even buy handbags and Gucci watches, the choices rest entirely with you. 

AFAIK the reason it is EFE branded is because Kernow are involved, and IMHO when Kernow are involved in a product it is pretty good - after the DJM era that is.  It is not for me because I don't model the Southern stabilizer rail territory, but would definitely have one if I did.  I have hivered and hovered over a Heljan 10800 because I would love one, but sadly cannot justify it.  Would never suggest no one else does though.

• Like 2

Email from Royal Mail saying that my Booster is in their grubby mitts and that I can expect it to arrive tomorrow...

Thing with RM is that if you're not in, they'll leave a card and take it back to the Delivery Office where you can either pick it up the next day or reschedule delivery.  Pick up is ok for me as the DO is about 400 yards away...

• Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

17 minutes ago, Covkid said:

Amazing.  If you aren't happy with the price you really don't need to buy it.  Some do some don't.  It's like everything else in life, you either pay xx GBP for a premier league football match, or you don't. You can pay xx GBP for a football shirt if you want to. You can even buy handbags and Gucci watches, the choices rest entirely with you. 

AFAIK the reason it is EFE branded is because Kernow are involved, and IMHO when Kernow are involved in a product it is pretty good - after the DJM era that is.  It is not for me because I don't model the Southern stabilizer rail territory, but would definitely have one if I did.  I have hivered and hovered over a Heljan 10800 because I would love one, but sadly cannot justify it.  Would never suggest no one else does though.

Calm down. I've got one on order. EDIT And I've just had an email to say that it's been posted. When I get it I'll be sure to post my review here.😂 Also ordered a 21 pin HM7000 and power bank for it. If it won't fit I'll throw a wobbly!😀

Edited by Metropolitan

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, Metropolitan said:

Calm down. I've got one on order. EDIT And I've just had an email to say that it's been posted. When I get it I'll be sure to post my review here.

Hi John - why not come along to Holcombe on Monday evening and run it on TT2. It can then couple up to the two that John F and Rod have ordered - triple heading!

• Like 1

Just now, Captain Kernow said:

Hi John - why not come along to Holcombe on Monday evening and run it on TT2. It can then couple up to the two that John F and Rod have ordered - triple heading!

Haha! So good to hear from you Tim. I should make the effort but am so tired after work in my old age!😀 But wouldn't you rather have my Met Class F with Chesham set coaches?😂 I saw a YouTube vid recently with you in it!

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Metropolitan said:

Haha! So good to hear from you Tim. I should make the effort but am so tired after work in my old age!😀 But wouldn't you rather have my Met Class F with Chesham set coaches?😂 I saw a YouTube vid recently with you in it!

First and foremost, it would be good to see you there, John! 

And we're all getting older, more tired and (in my case, certainly) more curmugeonly!

But yes as regards your lovely Metropolitan stuff - love to see any of that again too!

6 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

First and foremost, it would be good to see you there, John! 

And we're all getting older, more tired and (in my case, certainly) more curmugeonly!

But yes as regards your lovely Metropolitan stuff - love to see any of that again too!

I do miss it. Best time ever was when you got us into the Signal Box at Bishops Lydeard!! I'll never forget it. I'm just so busy with work at the mo. Retirement is imminent.

• Friendly/supportive 1

On 03/01/2024 at 14:29, Michael Hodgson said:

Where there's two or more pans up, you don't want them to cause the wire to start oscillating at a harmonic frequency, so that will presumably have to be considered for all lower speeds too.

In the late 1940s when the wires were put up for these locos I doubt much research was done in to harmonic frequency for a 15mph tram wire.

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

I got my 3 at lunchtime  -  I was surprised at how much they weigh, but very pleased at how they look.

I hope they sell well and they do a 20001 in plain BR green, such that it can double head with 20002.

Excellent.

• Like 2

In re parcel carriers, I've had luck with DHL of late.   Which was my disappointment Hatton's didn't list these, as they're my go-to with having DHL. 

My bigger issue is when whomever grabs it in the UK hands off to USPS for final delivery.  Last package I ordered sat with USPS for a week before finally delivering.   Though that was over Christmas...

I've not had a lot of issue with Royal Mail other than the inconsistent timeframes in regards to the overseas leg. 

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold

DPD is my go to courier, never had an issue with them. I used to think evri was bad untill I had some dealings with parcel force....

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

2 hours ago, simon b said:

DPD is my go to courier, never had an issue with them. I used to think evri was bad untill I had some dealings with parcel force....

These days Parcel Force seem to be subcontracting a bunch of their deliveries to evri and the like...

IMG_6601.jpeg.9453deab328ea8b204c44230e99858a2.jpegEnjoyed moving the discs around on one of mine - not that easy to do - and had to drill one out which had been glued in but no harm done. I also noticed that the small round windows in the sides cause the body to bow out slightly so I filed them down a little bit. 
IMG_6602.jpeg.b24252ce0c34695eb65cd9f085a7df71.jpeg

Beware when fitting the third rail shoes - best to prise the shoe beam out a bit and slide the shoe onto the pegs from the side. Rather than press down on the little pegs from above. I snapped one peg off and had to drill the beam and glue in a bit of wire to hold the shoe in place. 
IMG_6594.jpeg.6629e372d83fe77954958749e402b1eb.jpeg

Sorry (but not sorry) I have also already painted the buffer beam and buffers on the blue one black - more to my liking! Now to fashion some discs as per the LCGB BPPS Railtour.

IMG_6606.png.2e6b4e56fc0fec756a14d281053b4ff5.png

Lovely otherwise. 

• Like 11
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 4
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

I would normally agree about DPD, except for the saga I'm having this week thanks to me stupidly choosing DPD instead of Royal Mail when ordering something from Rails of Sheffield.

Ordered late last week, delivered to the wrong house (two streets over) on Sunday. Homeowner gave it back to the driver, but instead of delivering it correctly he just took it back to the depot. DPD didn't update the tracking info to reflect that. After two phone calls to DPD which did nothing to help, we were eventually told by Rails themselves (who have been fantastic during all this) what house it had gone to. So we went round and they told us what had happened. Two days later, the tracking info FINALLY updated to say it was back at the depot. A third phone call made us aware that the parcel would have to be re-labelled for redelivery, something which apparently hadn't happened during those two days. So finally, it MIGHT be delivered tomorrow 🙄

You know what, that rant was actually quite cathartic 😄

I always get ROS stuff via DPD delivered to the local Post Office and collect on the basis that 1, They can find a P.O. 2. won't chuck the packages over the back fence & 3. the volume of other packages should act as an additional cushion to my stuff. 4. Sub-Postmasters are always at home (and were wrongly accused by the Royal Mail) - SOS !

• Like 5

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Anyone have any tips when opening one up yet for decoder fitting?

There’s always much useful advice from our skilled members when confronted with an entirely new model, rather than relying on instruction sheets alone. In some cases, instructions containing caveats like e.g. “gently” and “carefully”, tend to instil a sense of trepidation as one awaits the sound of cracking plastic!

Edited by Right Away
spelling
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
16 minutes ago, Right Away said:

Anyone have any tips when opening one up yet for decoder fitting?

There’s always much useful advice from our skilled members when confronted with an entirely new model, rather than relying on instruction sheets alone. In some cases, instructions containing caveats like e.g. “gently” and “carefully”, tend to instil a sense of trepidation as one awaits the sound of cracking plastic!

gentle wiggle the buffers off (they are not clued just push fit), 4 screws and the body just slides off, again give it  wiggle.

I picked one up on Wednesday, was torn between southern green and grey/blue (the colour looks somewhere in between). i went with grey but i have to say i'm wishing i went with green, abit more bold on the layout, grey gets lost.
Nothing against the model which is great, well made, fab runner (so smooth), great detail, good weight. only thing i would say and its the same for most of the Kernow stuff, plastic buffers, i really wish they where metal, i'd rather metal and not sprung. I'll try and get some pics today

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

Just got my BR Green Booster. RM rang the doorbell and waited, even in the pouring rain!

Lovely model, nice weight, runs well and NOTHING fell off as I lifted it out of its cradle!

Very pleased.

Its been a heavy Christmas, so it will be a couple of months before I stick a DCC chip in it. Probably a Hornby* TXS sound decoder with their Class 71 sound profile**.

* A Hornby in a Hornby...

** A pity it'll have a horn sound rather than the whistles.

Edited by Hroth
A little bit more
  • Like 5

• RMweb Gold

Normally DPD would be my go-to and when getting stuff sent to my home they still are. But the one on the round at work recently hit one of my colleague's cars and denied all knowledge - had to send the CCTV to them to get anything done.

Earlier this week got a "no-one there" email - you can SEE someone in the window in the photo!

• Friendly/supportive 4

• RMweb Premium

My current parcel saga has killed any chance of me using DPD in the future. To follow on from my last post about it, after being told it would be delivered today it now transpires that in re-labelling it they have manage to re-label it the wrong address that they delivered it to in the first place! The address on the parcel in the first place was right, and now DPD have managed to make it wrong. This level of incompetence is genuinely mind blowing!! So now I'll be lucky to get the parcel before next week, and even then I'm not confident it'll come at all.

And the worst part is, they won't tell me any of this. Even though I'm the customer and I'm the one out of pocket, they will only talk to the sender. So I'm having to do everything through Rails of Sheffield (who are being fantastic about it) which is just wasting their time and I'm not happy about that. Seemingly there is no attitude of responsibility with these courier companies.

In happier news, my CC1 has now been dispatched from Rails via my normal method of Royal Mail. I guarantee it will arrive before my order from last Saturday does! 😄

• Friendly/supportive 3

Thanks to those who posted piccies of these wonderful beasts.  They look really nice and I am pleased they are totally off my radar - could have been expensive.  

Well done Graham and KMRC for a wonderful product, 

I wonder if that class of Southern 2-6-0s which worked into north Cornwall might be rising a little further to the top of the list !!!!

• Like 2