Hornby backtrack…maybe?

PhilH

• RMweb Gold

Disclaimer: this is news from my model club which I suppose is akin to ‘I heard it down the pub so it must be true…’

Anyway according to a, um, usually reliable source Hobbycraft are to start selling Airfix kits again. Now whether this is a chink in their closely guarded tier nonsense system (I think that’s still going) or not remains to be seen.

…..or even if it’s reliable gen or not. We shall see.

Edited by PhilH
  • Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

From what I've read elsewhere, Airfix has a broader distribution network than Hornby Railways and includes multiple wholesalers.

The Hobbycraft arrangement is probably a direct arrangement between Hornby and Hobbycraft. Airfix is the biggest kit brand in the UK so would doubtless be Hobbycraft's first choice, instead of Revell as present,  if the margins were right. 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
14 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Is the tier system the reason why Hobbycraft seem to have stopped stocking Hornby’s 00 railway ranges? I had assumed it was Hobbycraft themselves reassessing what sells well in their shops, but interesting if that isn’t the case.

I don't think it's anything to do with the tier system. I used to live in Bolton & the Hobbycraft there stopped selling Hornby railway stuff before I left the town, which is at least ten years ago, long before the tier system came into being.

Edited by Moxy
Spelling mistake
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

The tier system appears to have been somewhat abandoned if not just watered down from it's previously strict enforcement. This can be seen with Rails and Hattons for example who were very much in tier 3 if not below but now appear to be effectively tier 2 if not 1. This appears to have coincided with management changes but whether this is actually related is pure speculation without being aware of a more informed source.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, E100 said:

The tier system appears to have been somewhat abandoned if not just watered down from it's previously strict enforcement. This can be seen with Rails and Hattons for example who were very much in tier 3 if not below but now appear to be effectively tier 2 if not 1. This appears to have coincided with management changes but whether this is actually related is pure speculation without being aware of a more informed source.

Rails didnt stock Hornby at all for a while - I understand the decision was theirs .  Hattons for ages were in the lowest of the Tiers but now seem to be back in favour . I wonder if thats because Hornby realised that such outlets could be useful to sell off excess stock , and hacking them off was counter  productive !

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Is the tier system the reason why Hobbycraft seem to have stopped stocking Hornby’s 00 railway ranges? I had assumed it was Hobbycraft themselves reassessing what sells well in their shops, but interesting if that isn’t the case.

They stopped selling Hornby long before tiers appeared.  They probably lost money on it due to theiur b very strange discounting system whetre slow selling locos suddenly got massive discounts.

Overall of course Hornb are out to sell at the moment so they appear to be seeking outlets wherever they can find them with Rails recently added to the model railway stockists (it will be interesting to see how that particular one works out) and Hattons seemingly being given access to a wider range of model railway items.  But I don't think we'll see the hi-fi items produced in significantly greater numbers than has been the case in recent years.

• Like 4

Monk Bar Models in York has always sold Airfix kits of all types in the 17 years I’ve lived in this area.

As for Rails, I am constantly being sent email offers of discounted stock with Red, Blue and other coloured boxes…

steve

On 12/11/2023 at 20:39, 009 micro modeller said:

Hi,

A friend used to be a Manager at a Hobbycraft Store and they thought that removal of Hornby Group products was to do with the stock / allocation situation a few years ago where Hobbycraft were getting fed up with inability to get regular deliveries of stock. rather than a tier system.

The two Hobbycraft stores I have regularly used never stocked Hornby stuff, just Airfix & Humbrol. I always personally thought the tier system was a perfectly logical idea, it just seems to have been badly executed.

Simon

Edited by St. Simon
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, St. Simon said:

Hi,

I friend used to be a Manager at a Hobbycraft Store and they thought that removal of Hornby Group products was to do with the stock / allocation situation a few years ago where Hobbycraft were getting fed up with inability to get regular deliveries of stock. rather than a tier system.

The two Hobbycraft stores I have regularly used never stocked Hornby stuff, just Airfix & Humbrol. I always personally thought the tier system was a perfectly logical idea, it just seems to have been badly executed.

Simon

What about other model railway and diorama products (Woodland Scenics etc.)? My local one used to have Mod-roc plaster casting moulds, the polystyrene trackbed, talus rock debris and other Woodland Scenics stuff but I’m not sure if they have such a good selection these days. It may be more to do with that particular store though.

• Agree 1

8 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

What about other model railway and diorama products (Woodland Scenics etc.)? My local one used to have Mod-roc plaster casting moulds, the polystyrene trackbed, talus rock debris and other Woodland Scenics stuff but I’m not sure if they have such a good selection these days. It may be more to do with that particular store though.

Hi,

Yes, the stores I use still stock a fairly limited range of Woodland Scenics stuff, but I suspect that most modellers prefer to get their stuff from the model shops in the area, which may affect what Hobbycraft stock, particularly when they charge full RRP for these products.

Simon

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, 009 micro modeller said:

Woodland Scenics products are distributed by Bachmann…

steve 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, steve1 said:

steve 

Agreed - but hobbys ceaft - certainly in the branch I used - cntinued to stock Woodland scenics after they had stopped stocking Bachmann lovcos and rolling stock.  Their c gradual withjdrawal from mof del railways started lith locos and stock and then gradually progressed through various scenic items.

On 12/11/2023 at 12:23, 1andrew1 said:

From what I've read elsewhere, Airfix has a broader distribution network than Hornby Railways and includes multiple wholesalers.

The Hobbycraft arrangement is probably a direct arrangement between Hornby and Hobbycraft. Airfix is the biggest kit brand in the UK so would doubtless be Hobbycraft's first choice, instead of Revell as present,  if the margins were right. 

Big display of Airfix kits on display at the Ipswich/Martlesham Hobbycraft today. Prices not reduced in their Black Friday sales.

Yep, wargames-type scenics at ours too, including a small (I mean very small) packet of twigs for £10, the sort of twigs that anyone could pick up by the handful for free from under the hedge opposite the shop. If they sell even a single packet of twigs, the person who buys it will be certifiably insane.

Wait a mo! The twigs are £11 online, and they are from Woodland scenics! https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/woodland-scenics-dead-fall/6668191000.html

Edited by Nearholmer

4 hours ago, steve1 said:

steve 

Yes, but the point was that they used to stock a rather comprehensive range of them, including iirc the Woodland Scenics ‘layout kits’, which, while technically intended for American-outline use were fairly open in terms of what you could do with them. So you could have almost built a complete layout with that and the Hornby stock and track as well. Whereas now, even if there’s still some scatter etc. from Woodland Scenics I don’t think Hobbycraft stock quite the same comprehensive selection they used to.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
17 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

Yep, wargames-type scenics at ours too, including a small (I mean very small) packet of twigs for £10, the sort of twigs that anyone could pick up by the handful for free from under the hedge opposite the shop. If they sell even a single packet of twigs, the person who buys it will be certifiably insane.

Wait a mo! The twigs are £11 online, and they are from Woodland scenics! https://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/woodland-scenics-dead-fall/6668191000.html

Wow, looks like I'm sitting on an absolute fortune with over 20 shrubs and mature trees (of at least six different types) in the garden.

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

1 hour ago, adb968008 said:

Not anymore, Hornby are giving away whole trees now…

https://uk.Hornby.com/catalogue/free-christmas-tree

You can get them for £30 so not quite the freeby they are suggesting especially if you buy the cheapest set which then becomes are you buying a Christmas tree with a free trainset or a trainset with a free tree?

Still it's a nice combination and an excellent example of good marketing.

• Agree 1