Obvious RTR models missing from peoples collections/wish lists

Blobrick

• RMweb Premium

I think as modellers living today, we are extremely lucky in the amount of rolling stock and in particular locomotives which have become available. Those of us who are old enough to remember the 60s and early 70s will all to readily remember that if you wanted to expand your loco fleet beyond the big main line types like "Lizzies" "Castles" and the like, had to resort to kit building or bashing existing models into something else. A classic example, l remember reading, was  in an old Railway modeller, where an article explained how to convert a Tri-ang Lizzie into a Jubilee with little more than a junior hacksaw! 

I found myself musing over  how far we ve come since those days and started to look for obvious well known classes that are missing from the model shop shelves 

Looking at the subject from a manufactures view point, l am surprised that Bachmann has not produced a 2P 4-4-0. I believe they has a suitable tender from either the existing 3F or 4F locos, it seems to be a logical step for them, as they ve covered the other major Midland locos already?

The other loco that springs to mind is the B16/2, would have thought Hornby would have picked that one up?

I highly suspect that a list like this one  already exists within this forum, however l ve not been able to find it, so l thought it would be fun if I started my own, so please feel free to add locos you think are missing that should be available RTR. These are not one off locos but everyday bread and butter types

Bob C

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Blobrick said:

Looking at the subject from a manufactures view point, l am surprised that Bachmann has not produced a 2P 4-4-0. I believe they has a suitable tender from either the existing 3F or 4F locos, it seems to be a logical step for them, as they ve covered the other major Midland locos already?

Snipped for ease

Possibly because the Mainline version* from 1984 was excellent when it came out. Now a bit dated, but pretty accurate. Yes, I know it's LMS rather than MR.

*Had it's origins in Airfix and ended up in the Dapol range. Now Hornby. Mine came in a Mainline box like this one.

https://longsheds.blogspot.com/2015/07/no119-mainline-ex-lms-2p-worth-second.html

Jason

• Like 1

If you have a bunch of 1960s/1970s Scottish diesels, in a Lowlands not Highlands setting - the Andrew Barclay Class 06 is definitely missing (even with Hornby's 'model' it's still classed as missing!) The Heljan Class 05 is all very well and an excellent model but it was nowhere near as long lived as the '06', which at least gained some genuine blue examples (i.e not just in preservation) and reached TOPS renumbering, plus there were some livery oddities amongst them.

Oh, and then there's Reading Signal Works - highly relevant at the moment....!

(PS and it could be tooled with separate engine compartment doors so you could move the BR emblems around, put both on one side or even find a third from somewhere......😉. Only kidding!)

• Like 4
  • Agree 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

I suppose it strange that Bachmann have not produced either a GWR Duke (they have the basic body already from the Earl) or a Bulldog (they have the chassis from the Earl). I imagine it is because scanning is a lot easier/cheaper than CADing from drawings and photos. Or perhaps the Earl was not a commercial success and has put them off. Mind you the City seemed to do well enough to emerge in several variants.

Duncan

• Like 2
  • Agree 3

49 minutes ago, drduncan said:

I suppose it strange that Bachmann have not produced either a GWR Duke (they have the basic body already from the Earl) or a Bulldog (they have the chassis from the Earl). I imagine it is because scanning is a lot easier/cheaper than CADing from drawings and photos. Or perhaps the Earl was not a commercial success and has put them off. Mind you the City seemed to do well enough to emerge in several variants.

Duncan

I wonder if the Duke and the Bulldog are considered by Bachmann to be too samey to the Dukedog. I have one of the latter because of the Cambrian connections, but wouldn't personally choose the others, but i am not really a GWR modeller.

Similarly City of Truro is just another 4-4-0 double framer to me - and they all look the same!!!

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

49 minutes ago, Covkid said:

I wonder if the Duke and the Bulldog are considered by Bachmann to be too samey to the Dukedog. I have one of the latter because of the Cambrian connections, but wouldn't personally choose the others, but i am not really a GWR modeller.

Similarly City of Truro is just another 4-4-0 double framer to me - and they all look the same!!!

But then for me, I find BR standard classes fall into the ‘oh no, not another one’ category - it’s all a matter of personal interest. 😀

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Blobrick said:

I highly suspect that a list like this one  already exists within this forum

Well at one point there were at least 5 active wishlists just in the Accurascale section and there must be 100s including locked ones across the forum.

Generally, given most people will ignore the initial premise after a page or two, (or sooner in this case!) you just end up with a list of every protototype!

Edited by Hal Nail
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

48 minutes ago, JSpencer said:

Maunsell Q class, U class, W class and Z class

I would also add the Wainwright E class and E1 rebuild (and why not L and L1).

Well, rather obviously, I totally agree.

In addition, there are the classes that carried the largest proportion of passengers  -  the Southern EMUs.

( And,  of course,  the most charismatic of them all  -  the  4-COR  which lasted from 1937 through to 1972. )

• Like 5

I'm fortunate in that the representative locos and stock for my layout's setting and time period have all become readily available RTR over the past twenty years (or more) and generally at quite agreeable secondhand prices. The only peripheral "nice to have" not currently available that I'd be likely to buy would be a Gresley K4 (Not a numerous class, and geographically limited in LNER/BR service, but not a "one off" either): When Hornby first released the K1 mogul I had hoped that this might lead onto development of a K4 further down the line, but nearly a decade on the K1 itself doesn't seem to have progressed far beyond the initial releases, as it didn't seem to be a great seller for Hornby relative to the number produced.

I could name plenty of once numerous classes that have not been produced RTR, many of which have been identified above, but admittedly I wouldn't be the target market for any of them.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, drduncan said:

Duncan

as far as I can see the only GWR version of the Earl was DCC fitted , which seemed curious .  I don’t think Bachmann maximised the potential of their model . 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• 0-6-0 goods classes, especially examples of GNR, LNWR and LB&SCR
  • GER T26/LNER E4 2-4-0
  • GWR 517 Class and 2600 Class/Aberdare 
  • Non-generic pre-Grouping coaches generally, e.g. short bogie L&Y coaches for the Bachmann 2-4-2T, GCR for the Sonic release, GER suburban stock for the Oxford and Accurascale releases, etc, etc.
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1

11 hours ago, D86 said:

Class 81

Class 310 EMU

Class 304 EMU

These, plus I'm going to add

Class 82
Class 83
Class 84

because if you can have an RTR model of a one-off diesel, you can have one of a 10-to-15-strong electric class too 😉 , plus both versions of the 304 please!  And if you're making a 310, might as well make the 312 too.

• Like 6
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium

The usual assumption hereabouts that “Bachman RTR” = “00 Bachman RTR”. My wish list is simple - that Bachman would produce all of their 00 range in N - as was the strongly-implied intention when they took over Farish.

(And then perhaps they could shrink all of Hornby’s range as well, given that Hornby have decided to pretend that N doesn’t exist.)  

Richard

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Electrostar - not even available in kit form AFAIK.

4-CIG - seemingly every 60s third rail EMU has been produced but not this one, and if you want to the model the Brighton line after 1965 these are an absolute necessity.

U Class - the main gap in Southern Region steam power, admittedly not easy to tool as there were several variations in design and detail.

8F - Hornby's model is 20 years old or so and only appears in the range sporadically. They strangely recently chose not to retool it on its latest release. I'm very surprised that no other manufacturer has considered making one, surely it would be an obvious contender for Bachmann to do as they produce a lot of other heavy freight locomotives.

Would like to see a Z Class in RTR but they had a very limited use in real life in terms of their range of duties and were only based in a few locations.

Edited by SD85
  • Like 3
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Well, rather obviously, I totally agree.

In addition, there are the classes that carried the largest proportion of passengers  -  the Southern EMUs.

( And,  of course,  the most charismatic of them all  -  the  4-COR  which lasted from 1937 through to 1972. )

And Gladstone, C2/C2X, K class, T3.....

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
16 hours ago, Blobrick said:

I highly suspect that a list like this one  already exists within this forum, however l ve not been able to find it, so l thought it would be fun if I started my own, so please feel free to add locos you think are missing that should be available RTR. These are not one off locos but everyday bread and butter types

Bob C

Hello Bob C

The 00 Wishlist Poll Team runs The 00 Wishlist Poll every two years (alternating with The Quirky Poll which will be starting shortly).

If you search: Results - The 00 Wishlist Poll 2022, you might find some answers.

Brian

Edited by BMacdermott
Year
  • Like 5