Obvious RTR models missing from peoples collections/wish lists

Blobrick

On 12/12/2023 at 23:05, Steamport Southport said:

Snipped for ease

Possibly because the Mainline version* from 1984 was excellent when it came out. Now a bit dated, but pretty accurate. Yes, I know it's LMS rather than MR.

*Had it's origins in Airfix and ended up in the Dapol range. Now Hornby. Mine came in a Mainline box like this one.

https://longsheds.blogspot.com/2015/07/no119-mainline-ex-lms-2p-worth-second.html

Airfix were going to launch a 4P Compound 4-4-0 which was apparently according to one press report ready for release but pulled it when Hornby announced theirs. There was no reference to a 2P, nor a Class 56, until Palitoy announced them as part of the Mainline range. The 2P being a no brainer as it used the 4F tender drive but otherwise have always wondered if the end date in the agreement with Kader was approaching and Palitoy were trying out another option. Of course, General Mills pulled the plug on Palitoy so anything is conjecture.

Edited by Butler Henderson
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Here’s mine, not really a wish list, more a to-do list.

• Various Class 25s and Class 56s most of which are due in January courtesy Suttons Loco Works and Cavalex.
  • Classes 81-4 that I’m going to have a go at modelling myself in the new year.
  • Class 304 - a long term project already underway.
  • Class 303 - not worked that one out yet but watch this space……🙂
  • Like 4

13 hours ago, NZRedBaron said:

...I'd rather like to see a return of the LNER 13T Steel bodied open merchandise wagons, like the 38-325 to 38-331 models, dating from back around 1999.

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/category/model-railway/branchline/wagons?page=2

Bachmann are of the opinion that 38-325A and 326A are in stock. If they happen to have turned up very recently possible not yet showing on retailer sites, and of course not on Hattons...

Incidentally these were first released about 2010, when the price had doubled from the usual 1999 to 2008ish circa £5,  to £10 with further increases to follow....

• Like 1

Hattons seem to be doing well with their generic four and six wheel coaches. The generic approach might work for the early Victorian period too, perhaps producing a couple of the locos that are nicely drawn in the Appendix of Whishaw's 1842 book. A generic 2-2-2 Patentee type and an 0-4-0 would complement all the Titfield Thunderbolts to enable some decent models to be made of the Railway Mania years.

image.png.da0fa0013c809e0a79a3e3894f0df517.pngimage.png.e1a5a13eedeed528a0d93ea15b559832.png

• Like 3
  • Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

57 minutes ago, whart57 said:

Hattons seem to be doing well with their generic four and six wheel coaches. The generic approach might work for the early Victorian period too, perhaps producing a couple of the locos that are nicely drawn in the Appendix of Whishaw's 1842 book. A generic 2-2-2 Patentee type and an 0-4-0 would complement all the Titfield Thunderbolts to enable some decent models to be made of the Railway Mania years.

image.png.da0fa0013c809e0a79a3e3894f0df517.pngimage.png.e1a5a13eedeed528a0d93ea15b559832.png

Of absolutely no interest to me personally, but leaves me speculating on whether Hornby / Hattons ought to consider something like a DCC controlled powered 6 wheel luggage / brake vehicle in the generic range. Such locos as above could then be propelled around the layouts bereft of motorised encumbrances.     

Struggling to remember which manufacturer produced the motorized 12 ton van back in the 1960s for the same effect. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Covkid said:

Of absolutely no interest to me personally, but leaves me speculating on whether Hornby / Hattons ought to consider something like a DCC controlled powered 6 wheel luggage / brake vehicle in the generic range. Such locos as above could then be propelled around the layouts bereft of motorised encumbrances.    

Considering that these days you can get powerful can motors only 8mm in diameter I really don't see why that would be necessary.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 12/12/2023 at 23:29, Covkid said:

Class 100 103 116 120 119 in that order

Midland 2F 

Fowler 2-6-2t

Stanier 2-6-2t

Aberdare 2-6-0

LMS jackshaft 0-6-0 

so that would do a bad thing to at least one kit manufacturer..

pick things you can't buy yet..

Baz

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

https://www.Bachmann.co.uk/category/model-railway/branchline/wagons?page=2

Bachmann are of the opinion that 38-325A and 326A are in stock. If they happen to have turned up very recently possible not yet showing on retailer sites, and of course not on Hattons...

Incidentally these were first released about 2010, when the price had doubled from the usual 1999 to 2008ish circa £5,  to £10 with further increases to follow....

Yeah, but they're not much good if you're modelling Grouping Era, are they?

5 hours ago, Covkid said:

Struggling to remember which manufacturer produced the motorized 12 ton van back in the 1960s for the same effect. 

Ks

I have a Heljan 128 MU mechanism stiuffed inside a Gresley full brake for this kind of thing. Very effective. It wouldn't be impossible to rig a centre motor drive BoBo mechanism driving a pair of early four wheelers with an ariculation arrangement...

Kitmaster produced one. It was a poor job as I discovered when one was in a random box of s/h handed in at a charity shop. A knock off of the Triang power bogie with several weak constructional aspects.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I have a Heljan 128 MU mechanism stiuffed inside a Gresley full brake for this kind of thing. Very effective. It wouldn't be impossible to rig a centre motor drive BoBo mechanism driving a pair of early four wheelers with an ariculation arrangement...

Kitmaster produced one. It was a poor job as I discovered when one was in a random box of s/h handed in at a charity shop. A knock off of the Triang power bogie with several weak constructional aspects.

I have one.. far superior to the Triangle bogie.. no metal on metal gears for one thing. 

Baz

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, NZRedBaron said:

Yeah, but they're not much good if you're modelling Grouping Era, are they?

You would be limited to the last three years of the grouping period, because these wagons only went into production in 1945.

A good feature of Bachmann product is that the tampo printing can be wiped off with a little solvent - white spirit is all that's required - and then you have an unidentifed wagon on which to place LNER period transfers - the fitted wagon body colour is as BR's.

I may be wrong, but I believe these Bachmann models are the only accurate brake fitted general merchandise opens of LNER design that have ever been produced for RTR OO. (There's a very limited choice overall for this type of wagon from RTR, kits have been the usual resort. Airfix GMR produced a typical late 1930s five plank wooden sided general merchandise open which is passable, but again not in LNER livery, and the lettering and numbers are heat transferred so more work to change the identity.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Barry O said:

I have one.. far superior to the Triang bogie.. no metal on metal gears for one thing. 

Interesting. Perhaps the previous owner(s) of the example I had used an inappropriate lube on it. The one piece dog poo colour plastic axle and gear mouldings looked OK, but were nearly as soft as the appearance suggested and mushed into - well - fresh dog poo like stuff. The rest of the assembly was 'unstable' and had clearly been 'worked on', or more accurately ruined.

I think it's still in the scrap bin, if I still have it you are welcome, the motor armature was good. 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Covkid said:

Kitmaster for pushing along the plastic kits.

http://www.kitmaster.org.uk/MotorisingKitsA.htm

Jason

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

You would be limited to the last three years of the grouping period, because these wagons only went into production in 1945.

A good feature of Bachmann product is that the tampo printing can be wiped off with a little solvent - white spirit is all that's required - and then you have an unidentifed wagon on which to place LNER period transfers - the fitted wagon body colour is as BR's.

I may be wrong, but I believe these Bachmann models are the only accurate brake fitted general merchandise opens of LNER design that have ever been produced for RTR OO. (There's a very limited choice overall for this type of wagon from RTR, kits have been the usual resort. Airfix GMR produced a typical late 1930s five plank wooden sided general merchandise open which is passable, but again not in LNER livery, and the lettering and numbers are heat transferred so more work to change the identity.

The corrugated end merchandise open is the missing RTR wagon. If done with LMS j-hanger springs and 8-shoe brakes it would fill an obvious gap.

• Agree 3

39 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

I stand enlightened, thank you.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
54 minutes ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

My uncle had one. Could just be age-addled memory, but I'm sure it had milled wheels. There was a more modern version on Leicester South, used to simulate capstan shunting.  

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

The GWR Saint, Court and Ladies are glaring omissions from the big green loco lists. They would be hotly pursued by Bulldogs and Birds. GE modellers are way overdue a decent E4, GC fans J10, C13 and D9 and NE and Scottish steam fans just about anything at all. ex LNWR 4-4-0s. It looks like Dapol are staring to address the lack of GWR pre grouping coaches, there are so many opportunities for all the other companies. I agree we are spoiled though..... 😆👍

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

41 minutes ago, A Murphy said:

The GWR Saint, Court and Ladies are glaring omissions from the big green loco lists. They would be hotly pursued by Bulldogs and Birds. GE modellers are way overdue a decent E4, GC fans J10, C13 and D9 and NE and Scottish steam fans just about anything at all. ex LNWR 4-4-0s. It looks like Dapol are staring to address the lack of GWR pre grouping coaches, there are so many opportunities for all the other companies. I agree we are spoiled though..... 😆👍

For me the Bulldog is an obvious choice, they were a fairly long lived class and Bachmann already has the chassis, they just need the boiler and cab.

• RMweb Premium

I've just glanced at the title of this thread again: Obvious RTR models missing from peoples collections/wish lists

Surely there are no such models?  Everything obvious has been wishlisted umpteen times by now and we're well into esoterica.  Can anyone really think of something genuinely obvious that hasn't been suggested already, rather than yet another "I want"?

• Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
1 minute ago, Flying Pig said:

I've just glanced at the title of this thread again: Obvious RTR models missing from peoples collections/wish lists

Surely there are no such models?  Everything obvious has been wishlisted umpteen times by now and we're well into esoterica.  Can anyone really think of something genuinely obvious that hasn't been suggested already, rather than yet another "I want"?

Where’s the fun in that?

11 minutes ago, Flying Pig said:

LNWR 0-6-0s. There was only about 2000 of them!

Three main classes that were built in their hundreds and lasted from the early 1850s until virtually the end of steam.

Yet we are asking for, and getting, one offs that lasted for a couple of years and worked in one specific area.

Another one that Bachmann already have the chassis for in the Coal Tank which was a tank version of the 17" Coal Engine.

But most of us were trying to avoid actual "wishlists".....

Jason

Edited by Steamport Southport
  • Like 1
  • Agree 6