Obvious RTR models missing from peoples collections/wish lists

Blobrick

2 hours ago, TrainsRule88 said:

Most of this wish listing is in regards to actual locomotives and rolling stock. But what about some scenic items, buildings & infrastructure. Bachmann have their scenecraft range. 

I think it would be nice to see some more modern image platforms available. For example a platform with modern tactile paving built in and maybe a modern footbridge with lifts. 

Good idea . It seems the smaller manufacturers step in with lot of modern detail like resin stuff and 3D printed . I’m wondering if the scenecraft range has issues with making stuff economically to make a profit but that will sell.

some of the stuff is quite pricey now , which is why for things like diesel depots , I’ll get some styrene and make my own 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, rob D2 said:

Good idea . It seems the smaller manufacturers step in with lot of modern detail like resin stuff and 3D printed . I’m wondering if the scenecraft range has issues with making stuff economically to make a profit but that will sell.

some of the stuff is quite pricey now , which is why for things like diesel depots , I’ll get some styrene and make my own 

Yes the scenecraft range is expensive. But I think there is definitely a market for more scenic items and buildings. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Yeah, the Scenecraft range is a tough one. Some of the items I think are worth the investment, but others just aren't.

For example I was looking at the southern region style Carriage Shed they do, which is about £70. But even a very mediocre modeller like me could probably scratchbuild a model of one.

It's far from a complex design, and could be done easily using plasticard sheets for far less money.

However there a fair few buildings in the range I couldn't imagine doing myself, so would probably just buy off the shelf.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold
24 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Yeah, the Scenecraft range is a tough one. Some of the items I think are worth the investment, but others just aren't.

For example I was looking at the southern region style Carriage Shed they do, which is about £70. But even a very mediocre modeller like me could probably scratchbuild a model of one.

It's far from a complex design, and could be done easily using plasticard sheets for far less money.

However there a fair few buildings in the range I couldn't imagine doing myself, so would probably just buy off the shelf.

TBH, if you have any ambition for your layout to be portable, there's also the issue of weight to consider...

• Agree 2

On 31/12/2023 at 12:27, Steamport Southport said:

BTW what is amongst the most produced RTR British outline locomotive? 

One that lasted six years in the form modelled and never left Swindon Works. Yet they've sold more of them than many model manufacturers have even made models.

I think Mr Holland should stick to making pies as he knows nothing about model railway manufacturing.

A bit rude about a guy who did a lot to keep 3mm scale alive in the 1970s.

You miss the point though, the two of anything quote is about the phenomenon we see here, namely, that there isn't a loco built that someone somewhere doesn't want to see in model form. Success comes from identifying other factors.

That Swindon Works loco is a successful RTR model because Hornby market it as a cheap, junior's starter set loco. I never realised it was actually a real loco, I'd always assumed it was some pattern makers fudge around an existing chassis.

The Titfield stuff works because it has a hook and it's different. Less successful ventures struggle because not enough see the potential

• Like 2

Hi Gang,

I would love to see Kernow reduce the PRA China Clay wagon to N Gauge.

Early AC electrics (81-85) are an obvious gap, now that the 87 and 90 are being/have been revamped.

Farish could do well to tool up a 5 bay Mk1 BSO, therefore allowing a BSOT to be modelled a bit easier.

AC units have got to be the future low hanging fruit, with the 387 already in the research stage.

And to go with it all, some decent catenary portals and head spans.

Later,

Stu from NRSW

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Well considering Bachmann already have released the class 44`s in BR Blue, 44 004, 005, 006, 008, I am surprised that no others have been released, i.e 44 001, 002 etc. This is a fairly easy thing to do, re numbering only. Probably the market too small to warrant doing this, so we do it ourselves.

Have converted a 21 pin to 44 008, so now has lighting functions. bought a grimy times 21 pin converted to 44 002.

• Like 1

Just seen this so joining in the fun... 

Obvious ones missing from the ranges available to me are;

J21
B16 (all types)
Q7
BR Standard 3MT
A8

New tooled 8F, A3, A4

New tooled HST and Mk. 3s with lighting in coach and CDL
Decent unbranded TEA tank wagons with oil stains and weathering

Long welded rail train
Working tamper

Class 170/171
New tooled class 220/221/222 Voyager/Meridian

Mk.2z in choc and Cream a la Vintage Trains rake
(dare I say) new tooled Mk. 1 with working lights

Bagnall Victor/Valiant/Vulcan Saddle Tank engine

• Like 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
21 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

J21
B16 (all types)
Q7
BR Standard 3MT
A8

New tooled 8F, A3, A4

Anything please, but no more A3 and A4s.

15 minutes ago, rprodgers said:

Anything please, but no more A3 and A4s.

They need all the DCC fitting as standard, even if not full retool. The Hornby Dublo looks to be an A4 retool in disguise so probably not needed - but A3 still needs DCC ready and sound available as standard

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, The Black Hat said:

They need all the DCC fitting as standard, even if not full retool. The Hornby Dublo looks to be an A4 retool in disguise so probably not needed - but A3 still needs DCC ready and sound available as standard

I'd imagine that's already in the works. It's been done on the two most recent Bulleid Light Pacifics and I'd think it'll be on future releases of all other locos as-and-when.

Look out for a revised loco-to-tender coupling. Ignore catalogue images because (on past form) they will probably still show the first China-made version of whichever loco it is with just a new name and number overlaid... ☠️

I haven't yet had the lid off one, but the addition of the metal running plate to the A3 must have required a fairly heavy partial retool. If the WC is anything to go by, the DCC/sound update is mainly confined to the tender. It doesn't seem to involve the loco beyond the new coupling and (presumably) associated rewiring.

The loco tooling for the WC is older than both the A3 and A4  and appears otherwise untouched. That suggests (to me, at least) that Hornby's priority is to extend that latest DCC specification across the range a.s.a.p.

Most locos will require fairly comprehensive retooling to incorporate the newest innovations (working steam and headlamps), though, and it seems reasonable to think that is likely to happen more gradually.   

John

Edited by Dunsignalling

• RMweb Premium

Getting this back to what I think was the original intention - identifying holes in specific areas - anyone modelling the cross-London lines in the transition era (as I just happen to do) still needs:

SR C2X, W and Q classes

ER J6, J17, J19, J20 and F5

LMR Fowler and Stanier 2-6-2Ts, Midland 2F and Tilbury Tank

WR 97xx condensing tank

+ Oerlikon, Watford or 501 EMUs.

and doubtless a couple of others I’ve forgotten.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

On 13/01/2024 at 01:19, The Black Hat said:

J21
B16 (all types)
Q7
BR Standard 3MT
A8

New tooled 8F, A3, A4

New tooled HST and Mk. 3s with lighting in coach and CDL
Decent unbranded TEA tank wagons with oil stains and weathering

Long welded rail train
Working tamper

Class 170/171
New tooled class 220/221/222 Voyager/Meridian

Mk.2z in choc and Cream a la Vintage Trains rake
(dare I say) new tooled Mk. 1 with working lights

Bagnall Victor/Valiant/Vulcan Saddle Tank engine

Would it be financially viable for any manufacturer other than Hornby to retool an A3 or A4 considering they have the licence to make Flying Scotsman plus all the preserved A4s? New Mk1s is a good shout though, Bachmann haven’t released any for a while and the WCRC ones were announced ages ago. Hopefully there will be an update on these in the Spring 24 range. 

2 hours ago, Standards_in_OO said:

Would it be financially viable for any manufacturer other than Hornby to retool an A3 or A4 considering they have the licence to make Flying Scotsman plus all the preserved A4s?

Do they though? And if they do, is it an exclusive license?

If Hornby can apparently sell A3s and A4s by the truck load (across several detail levels) then why wouldn't it behove another manufacturer to produce a "more definitive" version?  Bachmann's A4 did very well for a long time given the age of the tooling, so why not do a new one?

6 hours ago, frobisher said:

If Hornby can apparently sell A3s and A4s by the truck load (across several detail levels) then why wouldn't it behove another manufacturer to produce a "more definitive" version?  Bachmann's A4 did very well for a long time given the age of the tooling, so why not do a new one?

Yes. Note that Flying Scotsman, Mallard, Sir Nigel Gresley, Bittern (via LSL), Tornado and Prince Of Wales are also on that list.

https://uk.Hornby.com/terms-conditions/licensing

Jason

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

14 hours ago, frobisher said:

I’m not sure if it’s exclusive but can be seen in the previous post that Hornby have a licence for various locomotives that are preserved. Based on Bachman’s recent pattern of releases, I’m not sure I could see them doing either of these however I have been incorrect with my predictions previously plus with the duplications already out there anything is possible! The financially viable aspect is something they would obviously have to consider, as with any new model. 

Edited by Standards_in_OO

• RMweb Premium

Bachmann still have a very poor A4 model.

What would you do the Hornby oA3 as they have just changed that?

Perhaps a Skittle Alley (A2) might be a better bet..

Baz

• RMweb Premium
11 minutes ago, Barry O said:

What would you do the Hornby oA3 as they have just changed that?

They missed a trick or two when they did it.  The motion is still very generic and the motion bracket and expansion link in particular are awful and have needed addressing for several iterations of the model - it's shown up badly by the A2s and the forthcoming Black Five.  The Black Five has noticeably finer bogie wheels too, though I'm waiting for tales of woe when it is run on older points.  A few tweaks below the running plate would really lift the A3.

• Agree 2

From a personal wishlist but one Livery that is lacking in RTR model form is the old Wales & West/ Wales & Borders and Wessex Trains liveries. Especially with the new tooling 158s, there are so many different livery variations that can be done and each 150/2 had its own unique "Pictogram" livery.

Jumping forward a few years a 150 & 158 in the FGW 'Local Lines' livery would go nicely with the Local Lines 153 Hornby have just announced too! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Steamport Southport said:

Yes. Note that Flying Scotsman, Mallard, Sir Nigel Gresley, Bittern (via LSL), Tornado and Prince Of Wales are also on that list.

https://uk.Hornby.com/terms-conditions/licensing

Particular locos are on the list; But it would seem that Dapol are able to produce (in N, can't find any details of their Black Label 00 models at the moment)

2S-011-008A3 Flying Scotsman 60103 BR Green Late Crest (As Preserved) 

2S-008-016A4 Valanced Mallard 4468 Garter Blue & 4 Gresley Teak Coaches 

2S-008-017A4 Sir Nigel Gresley 60007 BR Express Blue E/C as preserved 

Which might suggest the licences are not that exclusive (to a particular scale at best)

Also, Bachmann also produce;

32-550DLNER A1 60163 'Tornado' BR Lined Green (Late Crest)

And have previously done 5 versions of it, ditto Mallard, Sir Nigel Gresley and Bittern I'm suspecting many of those licences are non-exclusive.

4 minutes ago, letterspider said:

Class 312

Class 313

Class 315

Class 317

If you're going to do any one of those, there are obvious bolt ons;

• 312 - 310
  • 313 and 315 - 314, 507 and 508
  • 317 - 318, 455, 456
  • Like 2