Hattons Model Railways to close

AY Mod

2 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

I would ask any readers to follow the due processes rather than asking on here what will happen to their order etc. – there are real people involved with hardships; please bear that in mind.

Bring on the 'what about my blah blah blah' anyway, people wont read anything and expect it handed to them even when its right in front of them

A sad loss, they were the only big UK retailer who made buying items from Ireland painless after the 'B' thing, being registered for VAT in Ireland, my last order arrived last week after being placed in the early hours of Christmas Morning and always got items within days and not weeks. Efficiency was as good as their prices

• Like 7
  • Agree 5
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• Moderators
Just now, LaGrange said:

Bring on the 'what about my blah blah blah' anyway, people wont read anything and expect it handed to them even when its right in front of them

They'll find themselves with more time on their hands. 🤔

• Like 16
  • Agree 1

My heart sank reading the Facebook announcement. Hatton's has been the best seller to purchase from for international orders and that second market really helped the exchange rate. Sorely going to miss them.

• Like 11
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Premium

Very sad news, having been a customer since the old telephone mail order days, Hattons always stuck out as providing constant innovation for the customer to make it increasingly easy to make purchases as the shift to online transactions came and put themselves front and foremost of giving a great customer journey. I also used to love it in those days when you’d order something and they’d tell you who’s packed it!

I’m sure they have played a much larger part in influencing the ease of the great online service that we take for granted at all the major online model railway stores than we may realise, a big loss for the staff and all of us across the hobby! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 16

This is a real shock out of the blue! 
Hattons with their massive, almost industrial-scale, business seemed to be in a much better place to weather the various storms than anyone else. 
Their Trunk system is an excellent innovation, and made it easier to add together all the little bits and pieces into an order worth shipping, as well as grab interesting pre-owned items straight away without having to worry about adding on the shipping costs.

Looks like I'll be spending the evening moving my many pre-orders elsewhere!

All the best to the staff and all involved, from whom I've had nothing but great service over the years!

• Like 4
  • Agree 6

Devastating. Been using them personally since the mid 1970s and my family for a lot longer than that.

I suppose the loss of a proper easy to access shop probably hasn't helped in the long run. Ordering online isn't quite the same as going into the old Smithdown Road store and coming out with things you didn't even want!

Proper salespeople in action.

Jason

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

Wow what a shock , I have used Hatton's for more that twenty years and I am so sad to hear this news.

Thank you to Hatton's who have always given great service to me!

Edited by dave56
  • Like 3
  • Agree 2

6 minutes ago, ToledoRails said:

... is it too soon to wonder what will happen with the Andrew Barclay and 4 & 6 wheeled Genesis coaches?

They're mentioned in the opening post.

28 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Batch 2 Genesis coaches WILL be produced and released as announced.

29 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Batch 3 Genesis coaches will NOT be produced

Andrew Barclay reruns will NOT be produced.

I feel sorry for the Hattons team.

• Agree 4
  • Thanks 1

The announcement appeared on my F/book feed and my first thought was “here we go, another scam/hack/wind-up”. What a shock to find that it’s genuine.

I guess that I’m a relative newby but in the 20 years or so that I’ve been a customer I have nothing but praise for all the people that I’ve had the pleasure to meet.

A truly sad day in the world of model railways. You all have my best wishes for the future.

Regards.

P.L.

• Like 1
  • Agree 6