RMweb

Hattons Model Railways to close

AY Mod

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Most selfish insensitive post of the day goes to...

So, the one positive - AlfaZagato is inconvenienced!

John Isherwood.

• Round of applause 2
  • Funny 5

Very sad to read their email.

They have always provided me with a first class service at a fair price.

When, very infrequently, I had a query I would receive by return  personal message eitther with the answer or with a suggestion as to how I should follow things up.

Best wishes to all of the staff. Any company wanting first class peope should jump at the chance to recruit them.

Bernard

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Very sad news, thoughts are with the staff affected. Not just the loss of a brilliant retailer, but a brilliant manufacturer too. Hopefully the IP gets sold on so all is not lost on that side of things, and here’s hoping those affected find gainful employment quickly. 

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

Very sad news indeed. I’ve been using Hattons for most of my adult modelling life. They were always a fantastic crew to deal with. Their international shipping was fast and efficient. Without them I wouldn’t have purchased my first couple of O Gauge models last year. 
Wishing all the staff well for their future endeavours 

Edited by Hilux5972
  • Agree 2

Really sorry to hear this. Heart goes out to those whose lives and careers have been upset by this. I'm sure having come from Hattons will count for a lot if they choose to stay in the industry - they should, everyone I ever came into contact with at Hatton's were right up with the very best.

If any of you are here reading this then thank you. You took much more of my money than I ever meant to give you; I got many lovely things I never knew I wanted in return. It always felt like we were all winners!

There are valid, reasonable and interesting questions to be asked about what happened and why (it's in the industry/community's interest), but not tonight.

Well, 2024's off to a good start...

• Like 10
  • Agree 3

• RMweb Gold

The only positive from what is news that will shock almost every modeller in the country, is that they are able to manage an orderly closure of the business.  This ensures that their staff are able to continue being paid in the short term.  Business going under is never good news, having less choice in the marketplace is not really that important, but the impact on staff's lives and families can be huge.  I hope they all manage to find suitable and timely employment.

A sad day!

Steve

• Like 3
  • Agree 7

Just now, Metropolitan said:

Hmmm. They took an order from me at about 3pm today. I wonder if it will be honoured? Doubt it. They've gone bust which is a pity.

they haven't gone bust and you probs get your order

• Like 3
  • Agree 5

• RMweb Premium
Just now, Metropolitan said:

Hmmm. They took an order from me at about 3pm today. I wonder if it will be honoured? Doubt it. They've gone bust which is a pity.

They have not gone bust, read the announcement.

• Like 6
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, bradfordbuffer said:

Well 4 pages in 2 hrs! ...NEARLY all showing the affection hattons was held in within the community.

funnily enough I’ve just made a similar comment in another forum, someone said something to the effect of ‘price increases yada, yada, yada, not surprising’ I’d say it’s very surprising and it’s taken a lot of people aback 

The other forum has a ‘model railway’ sub category that normally only garnishes a few posts and barely gets replies whereas today within an hour there are 2 duplicate hattons threads, the replies are praising them, memories of first purchases and general shock about todays news, it’s certainly sent shockwaves through the enthusiast community, not forgetting of course they didn’t just sell trains, I wonder if other collectors forums are mourning the loss such as model bus or die cast collectors? 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, Metropolitan said:

Have you even read the announcement for pity's sakes, they have not "gone bust"

Edited by spamcan61
  • Like 3

It seems it is an orderly closure so I assume they are clearing all their stock. I assume the losing of their preorders and limited access to Hornby models really affected them. Sorry to see them go.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 minute ago, Metropolitan said:

Really?????

Have you read the announcement????

They have NOT 'gone bust' - they are closing down the business in an orderly manner with NO outstanding debts.

Prize for the shared most insensitive post of the day?

John Isherwood.

• Like 8
  • Round of applause 2

6 minutes ago, spamcan61 said:

Have you even read the announcement for pity's sakes, they have not "gone bust"

Of course they have! Or are about to. Do you think all was well? It happens. They are done and decided to pull the plug. I wonder what state the other main online retailers are in?

Edited by Metropolitan

Sad.. the genesis was a superb concept. I must admit I had stopped using them for the simple reason I found the website just so user unfriendly.

On the other hand the stock post box(trunk) idea was one of the best ideas in mail order. And they always answered the phone.

Edited by Ighten
Remembered it's called trunk

What utterly devastating news. I wasn't a regular Hattons customer but every time I have ordered I have been thrilled by their service. Looking at the newly added pre-owned items became a daily pleasure, especially when the sorting made it easy to get past things in the wrong era, gauge etc. They were also a constant presence particularly in magazine adverts. High street shopping has taken a hit over the years but it's shocking that such a  large organisation with a fantastic mail order capability has been impacted so badly too. 

In a time where greed and self-centredness seem ever on the rise, the fact that the management team are doing all they can to wind the business down in an orderly way shows a huge amount of decency at such difficult times. My best wishes go out to everyone impacted.

• Like 3
  • Agree 4

Very sad news about Hattons and especially of course sympathies for all the staff who will lose their jobs

I have been a regular customer for many years and they have always provided excellent service combined with low-cost postage.

We moved abroad 20 years ago and then relied on them even more

After Brexit they were the only company who shipped through Ireland, I think. so the parcels arrived all duties paid to my door, with everyone else it was necessary to go down to the Post Office and pay import charges and taxes before they were released.

Adios Hatton's and Gracias

• Like 1
  • Agree 3