Mystery Boxes from Rapido Trains UK!

RapidoCorbs

• RMweb Gold
19 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

These mystery boxes have clearly achieved their objective of attracting some sales already, and being Rapido I don't doubt that they will all contain good models, but like Johnster I prefer to decide for myself what suits me and my interests rather than buying whatever unknown products a vendor wants to shift from his stock room, so I won't be buying.  When a company has to clear surplus stock from its shelves, I prefer the specifically advertised heavy discount approach opnely advertised but there's nothing to stop both techniques being used.  I'm in favour of manufacturers doing whatever helps their corporate P&L, and this sounds like a sound business decision, so good luck to them - but not for me thank you.

I don't go on mystery excursions either.  You don't see those railtours advertised so much - but since privatisation there's probably more difficulty setting them up onto another company's patch. slow moving or surplus items - wait for the price to drop and pounce

The only time I went on mystery excursions was if I knew where they were going (yes - inside information, easy when I worked in an office which arranged them).  And equally I'm with you when it comes to buying slow moving or surplus items look to see what's being advertised or search them out.   

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, The Stationmaster said:

The only time I went on mystery excursions was if I knew where they were going (yes - inside information, easy when I worked in an office which arranged them). 

Probably not a good idea to tell the other passengers.

Or even to get on and ask them  "Is this the right train for Wolverhampton?"  😀

• Funny 3

It might seem a touch obvious, but...

Looking through the Rapido catalogue [and ignoring the new stuff] to see what isn't marked out of stock will give a good idea as to what's likely to be available.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Just had a notification from the Royal Mail that my mystery box has been delivered. Mus have been dispatched immediately after I ordered it - I shall have a good rummage tonight 

• Like 3
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

17 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

The only time I went on mystery excursions was if I knew where they were going (yes - inside information, easy when I worked in an office which arranged them).  And equally I'm with you when it comes to buying slow moving or surplus items look to see what's being advertised or search them out.   

So, it's an urban myth that they all went to Margate?

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, billbedford said:

So, it's an urban myth that they all went to Margate?

Not exactlt.  I was given the jpob of the courier on one from Cardiff one day - 'for the experience'. and I knew that we were indeed going to Margate.  

On the train were a considerable number of Welsh 'ladies' in various stages of advancing years.   Many of them were Mystery Excursion (Mystex) regulars and they always wanted to know where we heading and there were loud laughs and shouts of relief as we went a particular way at various junctions along the way,  The most - how shall I put it? - 'determined' of them to find out our destination made remarkable offers which were more than enough to bring blushes to the face of a young chap in his 20s (who thought he'd heard it all before)

Margate was a quite common destination for Mystexe4s from South Wales and several of thwe ladies said they'd be delighted to have the opportunity to show me what was on offer in Margate!  No doubt all a part of their fun day out - I  srated near the station and had achat with the StationManager who I happened to know, much safe I thought.

• Like 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Funny 5
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Only available in the UK.  Which is a pity when you are in Canada.  Oxford did offer one of their Bargain Boxes for outside of the UK and very good they were too.  Ordered twice and both times a great selection of models.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold
13 minutes ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I might have bought one if they'd advertised what was in it!

Are they all the same though?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, BoD said:

Are they all the same though?

From my understanding, the £250 box comes with a guarantee of £400 value and the Rapido liveried iron mink. Besides that, I think the contents are unknown for each box 

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Good morning Edge,

Wow, what a selection!

Like sjrixon I have a £100 selection/mystery box due today at lunchtime.

I will post a photo after arrival and opening.

Cheers, Nigel.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
14 hours ago, Edge said:

Well, it arrived - and I am rather happy with the contents 

- GER Liveried W&U tramway train pack 
- Ltd edition ‘iron mink’ wagon
- ‘Toad’ brake van
- ‘loriot’ flat wagon
- 2x SR Eight plank wagons (different numbers
- LMS diagram 1666 wagon 

Also got beer mats, pens and a pinbadge, an APT-E book and a 2024 calendar.

IMG_6118.jpeg

IMG_6109.jpeg

IMG_6110.jpeg

IMG_6111.jpeg

@RapidoCorbs - am I allowed to buy another one? :)

Is that the £100 one or the full half hour?

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

2 hours ago, Captain Kernow said:

Is that the £100 one or the full half hour?

It’s the full half hour. Aaaaand I maaay have just ordered another one too :)

I like the Rapido liveried mink vans, what can I say? :)

• Like 3

18 hours ago, Edge said:

Well, it arrived - and I am rather happy with the contents 

- GER Liveried W&U tramway train pack 
- Ltd edition ‘iron mink’ wagon
- ‘Toad’ brake van
- ‘loriot’ flat wagon
- 2x SR Eight plank wagons (different numbers
- LMS diagram 1666 wagon 

Also got beer mats, pens and a pin badge, an APT-E book and a 2024 calendar.

I'm assuming the GER train pack is the analogue rather than the sound fitted version, but it seems good value.  If I knew that was the contents I'd have been tempted (even although I don't really need a fourth tram).  The problem as always is that there is the risk of getting a locomotive that I don't really want and even if I did strike it luck and get another tram, Rapido don't sell a DCC Sound upgrade.  The wagons could be used on a club layout, but for me, BR liveried wagons are of limited interest.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

I'm assuming the GER train pack is the analogue rather than the sound fitted version, but it seems good value.  If I knew that was the contents I'd have been tempted (even although I don't really need a fourth tram).  The problem as always is that there is the risk of getting a locomotive that I don't really want and even if I did strike it luck and get another tram, Rapido don't sell a DCC Sound upgrade.  The wagons could be used on a club layout, but for me, BR liveried wagons are of limited interest.

It is the analogue one, yes

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
20 minutes ago, Dungrange said:

If I knew that was the contents I'd have been tempted

But then it wouldn't be a mystery box, would it 😉

They are all different. You take your chance and see what you get, that's the fun.

• Like 1
  • Agree 4

15 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

But then it wouldn't be a mystery box, would it 😉

They are all different. You take your chance and see what you get, that's the fun.

I agree, but I'd rather spend £400 on something I actually want rather than £250 on something of limited interest (ie out of period / region).  Looking at what Rapido might put in a box I'd say that they have a lot more in stock items that I wouldn't want than items that I would, which is my reason for passing.  If the surprise excites some people fair enough.

• Like 5
  • Agree 4