Mystery Boxes from Rapido Trains UK!

RapidoCorbs

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Fair Oak Junction said:

Understandable, mystery boxes certainly aren't for everyone. It's a nice thing to see and I hope Rapido do well from it, as well as people getting lots of nice goodies they weren't expecting 👍

Not for me either,  and, based on past experience, I'd be a tad concerned that it might be going to Margate.  

(Talking of which in times gone not too long past I wonder how soon it would have been before we started to see them coming from Margate?)

• Like 2
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Good afternoon folks,

Rapido lucky dip arrived at lunchtime today, contents as per the attached photo, plus a calendar out of shot and some Rapido advertising leaflets/freebies.

Coasters/beermats always welcome as my current ones are pretty worn out (too many mugs of coffee).

The W&U tramcar is 60461, which will go nicely with my E60462 purchased last year. Perhaps just needs a J67/68/69 for haulage?

The SR wagons (2 x 8 plank opens and a SECR brake van) are all in post-1936 livery, so that will need another suitable SR livery loco for haulage ;) . Perhaps a P class or something similar/larger.

Happy with my bundle.

Cheers, Nigel.

IMG_2459.jpg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, GMKAT7 said:

Good afternoon folks,

Rapido lucky dip arrived at lunchtime today, contents as per the attached photo, plus a calendar out of shot and some Rapido advertising leaflets/freebies.

Coasters/beermats always welcome as my current ones are pretty worn out (too many mugs of coffee).

The W&U tramcar is 60461, which will go nicely with my E60462 purchased last year. Perhaps just needs a J67/68/69 for haulage?

The SR wagons (2 x 8 plank opens and a SECR brake van) are all in post-1936 livery, so that will need another suitable SR livery loco for haulage ;) . Perhaps a P class or something similar/larger.

Happy with my bundle.

Cheers, Nigel.

IMG_2459.jpg

I reckon a O1 would like rather pretty shuffling those about 😉

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Good evening Andy,

Top suggestion!

I will see what the Finance Director says, but since that's me you could be onto a winner there. 😂

Now if you could rustle up an E4 (GER type) that would keep the W&U tramcar happy.

Or maybe a SR Q class 0-6-0 for future?

Not that I'm wishlisting or anything. 😇

Edit: Since both of my parents were from the Isle of Sheppey, then it has to be something SECR for haulage

Cheers, Nigel.

Edited by GMKAT7
Added info.
  • Like 3

• RMweb Gold

I seem to have ordered a £250 box. Rapido's own comments elsewhere on RMweb led me to believe certain items might not be moving quite as fast as they might have expected, but others' reports of the Mystery Box contents do not support that being the typical content. I await with interest, although I won't see the contents until Tuesday week, when I next land in Torquay. The 20 or so Rapido items I have to date are the mutts, so quality is assured. 

• Like 7

4 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Not for me either,  and, based on past experience, I'd be a tad concerned that it might be going to Margate.  

(Talking of which in times gone not too long past I wonder how soon it would have been before we started to see them coming from Margate?)

Erm. Margate have been doing them for years!

Think I would rather have ten big AFVS....

https://uk.airfix.com/products/airfix-tanks-135-military-kits-save-least-50-mbunatank1

Jason

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

The promotion seems to be a success both in converting unsold stock into cash, and providing some happy punters with a nice surprise. Agreed it won't suit everyone but what would? I don't model in either of Rapido's scales so I'm very unlikely to buy one, but I'm very pleased that there are newer manufacturers on the scene with some interesting, light-hearted and experimental approaches to the business. 

Mol

• Like 6

If they have a glut of SR 8 planks and 6 wheel brake vans (and similar) the alternative would be to offer specific packs - those three in the £100 pack equate to £58.70, now I have seen the 8 planks on sale around £23.50 but even then getting the brake for £11.70 is a still a bit of bargain.

Do wonder how much unwanted  is going to appear one ebay shortly.

An alternative approach would be to have a selection form where you could mark what you do not want in the mystery pack and dependning  how many you tick off whether then you are only limited to the £100 one. If for example I could say no to any Lion, J70, 15xx or tramcar then I might be tempted.

• Like 1

My £250 box arrived today and very pleased with the Mink, and the selection of other wagons and goodies too. Also got a standard Titfield pack in the box as well … shame I already have one but that’s the nature of the mystery box I guess 😂

• Like 4

• RMweb Gold
On 31/01/2024 at 13:15, Darius43 said:

Wouldn’t that diminish the mystery somewhat?

Cheers

Darius

I have to admit it has been quite amusing to see the number who can't quite grasp the meaning of the word.

• Like 3
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
44 minutes ago, PhilH said:

I have to admit it has been quite amusing to see the number who can't quite grasp the meaning of the word.

Perhaps there should also be a 'Surprise Box'.... - you order just one GW Toad and a whole box of other stuff arrives with it!

• Like 3

• Moderators
2 hours ago, Ian Hargrave said:

So my £100 worth: 5X OAA wagons ( bauxite) ,calendar,pen,assorted product literature ,beer mats. I’m happy..excellent value .

I'd be delighted with that one.

Quite the opposite from a defunct operator where you sent money and received nothing other than updates about the weather in the Carribbean.

• Like 1
  • Funny 15

• RMweb Gold
43 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Quite the opposite from a defunct operator where you sent money and received nothing other than updates about the weather in the Carribbean.

Weather information can sometimes come at a price (especially if you thought that you weren't paying for weather information or pictures of aircraft at airports on the other side of the globe).

• Like 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, AY Mod said:

Don't Joke about such things.

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 9

• RMweb Gold

While I'm not in the market for one it is fascinating to see what these boxes contain. Some f the contents hardly come as a surprise compared with availability of various past releases of models on Rapido's website.  But there are definitely some real surprises in there, especially with the £250 box which seems to offer great value for money in the examples revealed so far.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2