Mystery Boxes from Rapido Trains UK!

RapidoCorbs

Apprently my second £250 box is waiting for me in my bin at home. And nobody is answering the phone at my house. So to anyone out there who knows my address, there’s a chance to grab a big freebie before I get there lol 😂 

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
21 minutes ago, Edge said:

Apprently my second £250 box is waiting for me in my bin at home. And nobody is answering the phone at my house. So to anyone out there who knows my address, there’s a chance to grab a big freebie before I get there lol 😂 

On my way.

• Funny 5

So, with my paranoia about the parcel getting filched and my natural inability to resist anything but temptation, I happily present to you the contents of mystery box number 2, which I returned home to in my lunch break :) :

IMG_6215.jpeg.1ec8c5b3fbee97b862876714cfea7a5f.jpeg

-L&MR ‘Lion’ in 1980s guise

-BR Dynamometer car in 1949 livery

-‘Rapido’ livery Iron Mink (am I the only person with two of these now?)

-Six wheeled SR Brake van

-Yellow Toad Van

-2x 8 plank wagons - one grey, one brown

-APT-E book, calendar, beer mats, pin badge and pens as before 

another fine haul where the monetary value vastly outstrips the £250 cost, and even the £400 guaranteed value. Am once again very happy 

@RapidoCorbs - one point - I’m assuming that the dynamometer car would have been one of the overhauled ones and isn’t subject to the lighting circuit recall?

Edited by Edge
  • Like 7
  • Informative/Useful 1

22 minutes ago, Edge said:

So, with my paranoia about the parcel getting filched and my natural inability to resist anything but temptation, I happily present to you the contents of mystery box number 2, which I returned home to in my lunch break :) :

IMG_6215.jpeg.1ec8c5b3fbee97b862876714cfea7a5f.jpeg

-L&MR ‘Lion’ in 1980s guise

-BR Dynamometer car in 1949 livery

-‘Rapido’ livery Iron Mink (am I the only person with two of these now?)

-Six wheeled SR Brake van

-Yellow Toad Van

-2x 8 plank wagons - one grey, one brown

-APT-E book, calendar, beer mats, pin badge and pens as before 

another fine haul where the monetary value vastly outstrips the £250 cost, and even the £400 guaranteed value. Am once again very happy 

@RapidoCorbs - one point - I’m assuming that the dynamometer car would have been one of the overhauled ones and isn’t subject to the lighting circuit recall?

That's quite a train - I don't think you'll find that combination in the "prototype for everything" thread!

• Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
Just now, Michael Hodgson said:

That's quite a train - I don't think you'll find that combination in the "prototype for everything" thread!

Nah - it only ran weekday nights, so no-one ever got a photo!

• Funny 6

• RMweb Premium
4 hours ago, Edge said:

All the ones in our warehouse will have been dealt with - there should be a small round sticker on the box to denote it has had the PCB replaced.

• Like 2
  • Informative/Useful 1

29 minutes ago, RapidoCorbs said:

All the ones in our warehouse will have been dealt with - there should be a small round sticker on the box to denote it has had the PCB replaced.

Sticker located :) thank you

• RMweb Premium
On 30/01/2024 at 12:15, RapidoCorbs said:

Our £250 Mystery Boxes contain models worth over £400 and will include a Rapido Trains UK livery limited edition Iron Mink

I am puzzled as to the reference on the Iron Mink to "established 2018".   My first dealings with Rapido were indeed 2018 when I ordered  Via Rail Budd RDC #6148 in HO.  I don't normally do North American outline HO but this model represented the last RDC to run in passenger service in Vancouver Island, and on which I had a ride a few days before closure of the service in 2012.   However I see from old threads on BRMWeb that others had already heard of Rapido by as early as 2013 and that the APT-E pre-dates 2018.    So far my only other Rapido order had been for a Jones Goods via Rails of Sheffield, but then I got tempted when others posted their Mystery Box contents in this thread and I ordered a £250 box, which I have just been notified will arrive tomorrow.   

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
29 minutes ago, cessna152towser said:

I am puzzled as to the reference on the Iron Mink to "established 2018".   My first dealings with Rapido were indeed 2018 when I ordered  Via Rail Budd RDC #6148 in HO.  I don't normally do North American outline HO but this model represented the last RDC to run in passenger service in Vancouver Island, and on which I had a ride a few days before closure of the service in 2012.   However I see from old threads on BRMWeb that others had already heard of Rapido by as early as 2013 and that the APT-E pre-dates 2018.    So far my only other Rapido order had been for a Jones Goods via Rails of Sheffield, but then I got tempted when others posted their Mystery Box contents in this thread and I ordered a £250 box, which I have just been notified will arrive tomorrow.   

Rapido Trains UK as a separate entity rather than a branch of the NA parent?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Adding my voice to the list of happy customers.

There’s a great selection in the £250 box. Lots of items, varied, and the value is incredible! 
The merch is a neat touch too without being ‘tat’.

A real home-run from Rapido on this, and I hope they offer something similar again in the future (when the piggy bank is restocked…).

• Like 1

On the whole pretty pleased with mine too this morning, but when running the offer again in the future it would be nice to have an option of non-diesel era items in the random selection

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 06/02/2024 at 13:19, cessna152towser said:

The UK company was started in 2018 :) 

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
41 minutes ago, Josie said:

Adding my voice to the list of happy customers.

Me too. 

1 x BR Dynamometer Car (yes it has the sticker on the box to confirm new PCB)

1 x Rapido Iron Mink

2 x different SR open wagons

5 x different OAA wagons

1 x GWR toad

1 x SECR 6-wheel brake

plus the Calender, APT book, coasters, pens, badge and leaflets.

Absolutely delighted.   Great value.

• Like 2

To add to the mystery box posts. Now, I was hesitant on this because what Rapido produce is generally not in my era (nowt wrong with that) and I model the modern day. However, I decided to take a punt anyhow because to me, putting up a mystery box is akin to a big red ‘do not push’ button! And I have to say I’m not disappointed. Contents;

1) One very heavy (I did not expect that weight!) 1980’s sound fitted Lion

2) Wisbech Tramcar (will go nicely with the lion)

3) A second Wisbech Tramcar (will also go nicely with the other one and the lion)

4) An engineers Toad

5) A mink van

and

6) calendar, pin badge, pens, coffee cup coasters, APT book and some other bits n bobs.

I look forward to having a play with them later on 😀

IMG_3048.jpeg

IMG_3049.jpeg

• Like 10

I'll admit I've been watching this topic with jealousy from across the Atlantic! I thought about why it was UK only but realized a package with a variety of items (Models, books, coasters, etc.) is probably complicated to ship and not worth shipping Internationally.

Having said that let us know if you ever offer a mystery box for International customers!

• RMweb Gold

I was finally united with my mystery box - and wot a corker! As well as a calendar, APT-E brochure and a couple of pens, promos for other products etc etc

3 SR 8-plank opens

A GWR brakevan

A modern OAA open

The Company Mink

And - roll of drums - a GER W&U set! I had hummed and ha'd about one of those, so really delighted. 

Thanks Rapido!

• Like 11

• RMweb Gold
On 31/01/2024 at 19:01, The Stationmaster said:

The only time I went on mystery excursions was if I knew where they were going (yes - inside information, easy when I worked in an office which arranged them).  And equally I'm with you when it comes to buying slow moving or surplus items look to see what's being advertised or search them out.   

Likewise. I used to see STNs covering everything within about 100 miles of where I lived so could work out the likely destination even if it started on a strange route. Although the sheet I originally got sometimes just described it as "Mystex to SR" few calls to friends on other areas soon got the answer.

• Like 1

On 13/02/2024 at 21:10, Oldddudders said:

And - roll of drums - a GER W&U set! I had hummed and ha'd about one of those, so really delighted. 

I’m wondering if an early buyer has put the complete W&U train pack from their mystery box up on eBay already!

GER W&U Train Pack

To be fair, the price right now (with 16 hours left) is approximately what I paid for my two coaches - so someone may get themselves a bargain but there are 116 watchers so possibly not! 

On 10/02/2024 at 21:35, Bucoops said:

Phew, managed to resist long enough for them to sell out!

Phew, me too! 🤣

Mind, if they run the promotion again I might not show as much resistance!

Steve S

• Agree 2