Mystery Boxes from Rapido Trains UK!

RapidoCorbs

Whilst there is nothing wrong in reselling your mystery box items, it does feel a tad outside the spirit of the offer to sell everything.

But hey, Rapido got their money and others get the models they wanted, wonder how many of the bidders knew of the mystery box offer though.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
9 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

Whilst there is nothing wrong in reselling your mystery box items, it does feel a tad outside the spirit of the offer to sell everything.

But hey, Rapido got their money and others get the models they wanted, wonder how many of the bidders knew of the mystery box offer though.

Do what you want - sell them, repaint them, modify them, use them as novelty roller skates... Most importantly have fun!

• Like 12
  • Agree 2
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

38 minutes ago, woodenhead said:

wonder how many of the bidders knew of the mystery box offer though.

Does it matter?  Like many people, I didn't purchase a mystery box because there was a very high chance it primarily contained models that I wouldn't want.  At least if you are bidding for one specific item on E-bay you know what you are getting.

• Agree 4

2 hours ago, woodenhead said:

I didn't go for one because I didn't want to shell out for something I probably wouldn't want.  If others have taken a punt and decided to cut their losses by selling off what they don't want when they hoped for something else, or have bought in the hope of making a quick buck, good luck to them.  They've paid for it, it's theirs, if they don't want it, sell it!  If both buyer and manufacturer make a profit, and the successful bidder's got a model he wanted, everybody's happy and the hobby's better for that.

• Agree 2

4 hours ago, woodenhead said:

The whole point is that you're taking a punt. You might get a box full of things you actually want. Or you might get some things you actually want, but also some things that you're unlikely ever to use. Or, if you're really unlucky, you might get a whole box of stuff that's of no interest to you. So there's no reason why you shouldn't try to offload anything you don't want to keep. 

I don't think anyone is going to get rich buying these to resell. By their nature, they will be things that haven't sold out, so they also won't be the things that command a premium on the secondary market. If you can resist the temptation to open the boxes, then you should be able to get close to a typical retail value on the secondary market (bearing in mind that it's the price at Hattons Rails et al that you're competing with, not RRP), so it ought to be possible to turn a slight profit. But you've still got the hassle of packing and posting them, and any gross profit on the sale itself isn't really going to offset your time and effort.

• Agree 4

I don't think it necessarily means that any of the items in the boxes were unpopular. As I understand it, Rapido's business model is essentially that they make as many as have been pre-ordered, either directly or by retailers, plus a few extra for stock and to be able to replace warranty returns. So there won't normally be all that many unsold items from a particular manufacturing run, because the run will be tailored to the orders.

What I suspect has caused a surplus here isn't a model having fewer orders than expected, but instead having more cancelled orders than expected. But that could happen to an otherwise really popular model. A thousand orders and a hundred cancellations will leave you with more spare than five hundred orders and fifty cancellations.

6 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

I didn't go for one because I didn't want to shell out for something I probably wouldn't want.  If others have taken a punt and decided to cut their losses by selling off what they don't want when they hoped for something else, or have bought in the hope of making a quick buck, good luck to them.  They've paid for it, it's theirs, if they don't want it, sell it!  If both buyer and manufacturer make a profit, and the successful bidder's got a model he wanted, everybody's happy and the hobby's better for that.

I've ordered a £100 box.  I wouldn't expect to get a loco in that, it's almost certainly going to be all wagons. The majority of the wagons Rapido have done would be fine for me. I model early BR, so anything early BR or earlier would be usable - if the livery is pre-BR I can repaint or patch it to take it into 1950s condition. The only wagons I really couldn't use would be the OOAs and VIXs, so if I do end up with any of them then they'll be off to eBay.

• Like 1

Just seen that someone got themselves a bargain W&U set for £175.

As others have stated, if the buyer picked that up in a mystery box and is selling on the stuff s/he wasn’t interested in, I am sure they are very happy (7/10 of their outlay for a £250 box) and the buyer must be very chuffed, too!

Looking forward to what Rapido come up with next!*

Steve S

* No I’m not**, because if it is anything small and industrial I can see myself buying it! 🤣

** I am really!!

• Moderators
Just now, Eddie the dog said:

Just out of interest, has anyone returned their mystery box to Rapido because it didn’t contain what they wanted ?

That would take some special kind of person. 😁

• Like 1
  • Agree 3
  • Funny 5

• RMweb Gold
3 minutes ago, Eddie the dog said:

Just out of interest, has anyone returned their mystery box to Rapido because it didn’t contain what they wanted ?

The continued absence of a surprise Keira Knightley in any of my deliveries is an ongoing source of irritation 😉

• Funny 5

1 hour ago, Eddie the dog said:

You mean, because it turned out not to be a mystery?

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

The continued absence of a surprise Keira Knightley in any of my deliveries is an ongoing source of irritation 😉

But probably quite a relief to her.

• Funny 6

• Moderators
1 hour ago, Enterprisingwestern said:

The problem is they do exist!

Sure do; on a Facebook post about our show at the NEC someone's moaning that the show is at the wrong time as it coincides with Christmas lights being turned on in various towns. In the words of Radiohead, "so ****** special".

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Funny 6

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

I think it’s only Gwyneth that comes in surprise boxes . . .

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, AY Mod said:

Sure do; on a Facebook post about our show at the NEC someone's moaning that the show is at the wrong time as it coincides with Christmas lights being turned on in various times. In the words of Radiohead, "so ****** special".

Yeah you should really pick a weekend that nobody has anything else on across the country. You can get rid of the motorbike show, Good Food show and the Clothes show too! 🥸

Actually better edit that . . .

Edited by PaulRhB
Effect ;)

• RMweb Gold
23 hours ago, franciswilliamwebb said:

I used to go out with her sister Twice, but she tired me out.

Mike.

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 5

My £100 box arrived this morning. Contents:

2024 BRM calendar, pen, coasters and pin badge. All vaguely useful!

Two 8 plank SR open wagons in BR grey (two different numbers). Almost perfect, if it wasn't for the fact that I've already bought one and one of those in the box has the same number. But that's solvable just by applying enough weathering to make the number illegible at normal viewing distance.  

GWR Toad brake van. Not quite my scene, as it's the wrong era and wrong location for my current project. But I might be able to make some use of it, possibly on a side project.

Two OOA wagons, one in Railfreight red/grey and one in Civil Link yellow/grey. These were the ones I didn't really want, as I can't see any likelihood of me using them on a layout in the foreseeable future. So I might see what I can get for them on eBay. Unless anyone here wants to make me an offer for one or both of them. Or, possibly, do a swap for a wagon you don't need but I could use!

• Friendly/supportive 1

4 hours ago, MarkSG said:

My £100 box arrived this morning. Contents:

2024 BRM calendar, pen, coasters and pin badge. All vaguely useful!

Two 8 plank SR open wagons in BR grey (two different numbers). Almost perfect, if it wasn't for the fact that I've already bought one and one of those in the box has the same number. But that's solvable just by applying enough weathering to make the number illegible at normal viewing distance.  

GWR Toad brake van. Not quite my scene, as it's the wrong era and wrong location for my current project. But I might be able to make some use of it, possibly on a side project.

Two OOA wagons, one in Railfreight red/grey and one in Civil Link yellow/grey. These were the ones I didn't really want, as I can't see any likelihood of me using them on a layout in the foreseeable future. So I might see what I can get for them on eBay. Unless anyone here wants to make me an offer for one or both of them. Or, possibly, do a swap for a wagon you don't need but I could use!

Didn't quite enter into the spirit of this exercise, did we ?

I'll cheerfully admit that I was a little disappointed myself with my [£250] selection - it didn't include a Wisbeach and Upwell train set. Bummer

But...

LMS open - splendid, I actually wanted another and the tampo printing on Rapido stock is so light that numbers can be removed or changed just by breathing on them [I exaggerate, but not by much]

Three southern eight-plank wagons. Not so useful as LMS but still splendid models and fit to run with most of my post Caledonian stock

Dynamometer car - what on earth am I going to do with that [operationally]? Nothing at the moment, but it looks absolutely marvellous sitting above my laptop as I write

Three OAA wagons. Initially deep disappointment about this one, but hey, I also have two 08s and a class 24 sitting idle in a cupboard, so out they came and got dusted off

GW Toad. Hurrah. Its a grey one [NOT bright yellow thank the Lord] so I can enjoy it for what a superior model it is and hang it on the back of my GW pannier which like all modellers I happen to have

Bright yellow Mink with Rapido printed on the side. As mentioned above, not very useful, but a quick respray later, and...

So no, I might have wished/hoped for alternatives - at least one Upwell tramcar would have been nice - but I didn't go out and order anything specific. I ordered a surprise box filled with surprise contents [the calendar and pens and stuff wasn't a surprise] so I really can't complain or grumble at all at what I got 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

Complaining about the contents of a Mystery Box seems to me to be akin to a gambler complaining that he didn't win anything....

Who's complaining?  Expressing disappointment isn't the same as complaining.