RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

I think it was a calling on shift bell, they did have calling on sheds/buildings but not sure what they used for the alarm, buzzers, sirens whistles bells?

A few old engine men have told me of such things that they remembered, back in the day

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

That J3 is superb Gilbert, and it shows me some more info about Ivatt tenders which I'm still trying to sort for my LRM J6. If you do feel the inkling for another J6 shot some time in the near future, that would be most lovely, but I can also just wait for the Yeadons that is winging its way to Oz at the moment courtesy of that flea bay thingy.

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

That J3 is superb Gilbert, and it shows me some more info about Ivatt tenders which I'm still trying to sort for my LRM J6. If you do feel the inkling for another J6 shot some time in the near future, that would be most lovely, but I can also just wait for the Yeadons that is winging its way to Oz at the moment courtesy of that flea bay thingy.

Cheers

Tony

Did you see post 9903 Tony? Only posted a couple of days ago, but already quite a way back.

For some reason I rather like doing a bit of photoshopping last thing before retiring, though I undertand that staring at a computer screen late on is not a good idea, for whatever reason. Something to do with blue light?

Wandering slightly off-topic, but there is a very useful program called f.lux if you use Windows, which subtly changes the "colour temperature" of the computwr screen, lowering the amount of blue at night time. I find it helps reduce eye strain and reduces how much the bright screen keeps me awake.

http://justgetflux.com

Did A3 'Prince of Wales' ever visit Peterborough? Good excuse for a really filthy specimen!

Hi not sure if 60054 visited New England MPD but she must have gone through Peterborough North station as I saw her in Kings Cross station in either late 1962 or early 1963.

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

Did A3 'Prince of Wales' ever visit Peterborough? Good excuse for a really filthy specimen!

I'm going to tread carefullly here. To which holder(s) of the title were you referring, Larry? As to the first sentence. Yes, apart from a few years on the GC immediately post war, it was always a GN section engine, and would have passed through Peterborough certainly tens of thousands of times. Shedded at Kings Cross in 1956, then Grantham during my period, so would have been kept clean. Doesn't appear on my roster as it was a very early conversion to double chimney, and had an A4 boiler, so not that easy to do from Hornby, and I have more double chimney engines than I can justify already.

• Like 1

Every now and again the optimism of spotters was rewarded. Even though we knew how heavily stacked the odds were, we always hoped that approaching loco would be a Scottish cop. And for once

attachicon.gif90 1.jpg

they would be leaping up and down, if they weren't stuck to the platform. Unless of course they saw it on its Up journey the previous day.

attachicon.gif90 2.jpg

Grand Parade was ex works with double kylchap in early August 58 - I saw it at Retford, and when it arrived at Carr loco they kept it and used it for a couple of weeks.

attachicon.gifGrand Parade.jpg

She visited New England at least once, as shown by this photo, acknowledging copyright of Andrew C Ingram. There is a photo of her on an Up Hull express too, and reported sightings in the contemporary magazines, so she was an obvious choice for my one exceptional loco. Here, she has the 1020am KX - Leeds, a Doncaster duty. She was that shiny when I saw her too.

Edited to confirm that :senile: has struck again. This is an Up working, the 0918 Leeds- KX, still a Doncaster duty though. I clicked on the wrong Leeds express on the spreadsheet.

I know it's only a model at the end of the day but there's a real sense of 'something special' with those pics. Not only the unusual-ness of the loco depicted but the impression of the lovely gloss finish - just look how the tender side reflects the edge of the platform opposite! After pages of grubby B1's and other local locos it is indeed 'something special'.

There's a lovely picture, taken by John Aylard, of ex-works 60068 heading north out of Wood Green tunnel on the 4.5 Class C goods from King's Cross. Undated but has double pot and electrification stickers (why?!?!). Bet that caused a stir as it went through PN.

Oops, sorry - keep forgetting that you're a recovering locoholic...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

It is just that I have POW on a DVD, one of those cheap makeovers from Smiffs, and the narrator refers to it on two occasions asking 'Did they ever clean that loco?'. I'll look for closely at it mechanical configuration next time.

Ah! All is now clear. I bet your DVD has images from the 1959/61 period, when Grantham stopped cleaning its A3s completely, and they degenerated into a state of utter filth. Burnt smokebox doors were common, and I remember standing next to one which had such an accumulation of grime that it almost looked as if it had grown fur. Awful.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I know it's only a model at the end of the day but there's a real sense of 'something special' with those pics. Not only the unusual-ness of the loco depicted but the impression of the lovely gloss finish - just look how the tender side reflects the edge of the platform opposite! After pages of grubby B1's and other local locos it is indeed 'something special'.

There's a lovely picture, taken by John Aylard, of ex-works 60068 heading north out of Wood Green tunnel on the 4.5 Class C goods from King's Cross. Undated but has double pot and electrification stickers (why?!?!). Bet that caused a stir as it went through PN.

Oops, sorry - keep forgetting that you're a recovering locoholic...

I know the picture you're referring to "Robert", and the caption says that the number of appearances by 60068 down South post war could be counted on the fingers of one hand. Impossibly rare that one, like all the Carlisle engines. It will never appear on PN, as I don't like the name. Not much of a stir by the time it got to Peterborough I think, as it was an evening parcels train, and I suspect all the spotters were long gone by the time it got there. And yes, I am recovering, to the extent that I almost believe that I could perhaps just have one or two more without becoming addicted again. But that's what they all say, of course.

Edited by great northern
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I love those latest photo's. The A3 does indeed look so good, it really is a shining beacon that steam could be so clean at that time. Sadly that cleanliness did not last, but wasn't it good whilst engines were so clean. It is so beautifully portrayed on the model.

With best regards,

Rob.

• Like 1

Here are the last couple of images from the current photofile.

attachicon.gif28 2.jpg

One more of Walter K with that lovely industrial background.

attachicon.gifspotters.jpg

And some back lit spotters, with a dirty duke towering over them. They are ignoring him, having seen him so many times before.

Any requests? All jobs and exercises done, white stuff on ground outside, so I have time to point the camera at whatever you might fancy, in the railway room, that is. Not the beautiful blonde with the two lovely spaniels.

Hi Gilbert

Love the photos of 60028, I think it may have been me who asked for the photos as 60028 was the first A4 I ever saw, thank you for posting them

I can still see it now in my minds eye racing through Finsbury Park Station heading North in October 1962, I was very lucky to see her as she was withdrawn a few months later and scrapped.

Sorry I could not resist photoshopping your exquisite going away photo of her, this was just as I remember seeing her.

Regards

David

post-6557-0-71786800-1453141344.jpg

Edited by landscapes
  • Like 10

And so to the now fairly regular bedtime image. For some reason I rather like doing a bit of photoshopping last thing before retiring, though I undertand that staring at a computer screen late on is not a good idea, for whatever reason. Something to do with blue light? Anyway, here is a ghost train.

attachicon.gifJ3.jpg

Class J3 64122, allegedly withdrawn in 1954, scuttles by, tender first, on its return journey from working the Ramsey branch. Very rural down there, so not surprising that its continued existence has never before been noted.

Love the J3, it's a very nice model BUT it's a bit clean isn't it? Photographic evidence suggests that the last ones were in a shocking state at the end of their lives - although if it is a ghost it might have got a clean up in loco heaven...  

Now if you wanted a really pretty 0-6-0 you could have chosen a J4 - but long gone for you I'm afraid.

Chaz