Peterborough North

great northern

As G is off to emulate Mr Rose, I shall say the K3 is a kit build and will get you a Hales Individual Fruit Pie if I am wrong. I rarely (because I forget) click on pics to enlarge them, but found by doing this here that you can see little clues to the answer by doing just that. This, of course, makes me look an even bigger ####### when it turns out to be a RTR item.

Phil

As I have just replied to David, This is a K2/ 2  and G does give us a clue here  attachicon.gifK2 1.JPG.

I therefore claim my Hales Individual Fruit from Phil who clearly looks a bit of a  ####### when it turns out like this :jester:

Regards,Del.

Edited by CUTLER2579

• RMweb Premium

As I have just replied to David, This is a K2/ 2  and G does give us a clue here  attachicon.gifK2 1.JPG.

I therefore claim my Hales Individual Fruit from Phil who clearly looks a bit of a  ####### when it turns out like this :jester:

Regards,Del.

OK Del. I shall get my 'man' to deliver it immediately.

:scared:  

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I always knew you were an honourable man Phil.

Actually,l Down Souff we had Lyon Individual Fruit Pies. Scrummy.

Yes, I am, however if that pie arrives I shall be very surprised as my 'man' is totally unreliable when it comes to not eating pies en route to wherever.

Some years back we discussed this whole pie thing and it must have been for a short period, pre take over by Lyons, that Hales Pies were available in the west country (I am ex 83D you must understand). Were fruit pies available north of Peterborough in 1958? I have no idea.

P

• RMweb Premium

Phil I was born and now live in Grantham and I must point out that not only were fruit pies available,but we also had Telephones and Electricity Upp here. :jester:

However my memory lets me down on the manufacturer of the pies.

Wow - You mean civilisation actually extended beyond the Watford Gap!

• RMweb Premium

G isn't finished at the 19th hole yet so we can continue discussing telephonic pies. I suspect that Grantham had Lyons Exclusive Fruit Pies (from Thatcher's Confectioners and Grocery.

Margaret would have cycled up to the Station Buffet to deliver them and overcharge the Manageress.

H. Wilson.

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

Yes, I am, however if that pie arrives I shall be very surprised as my 'man' is totally unreliable when it comes to not eating pies en route to wherever.

Some years back we discussed this whole pie thing and it must have been for a short period, pre take over by Lyons, that Hales Pies were available in the west country (I am ex 83D you must understand). Were fruit pies available north of Peterborough in 1958? I have no idea.

P

They certainly were along with chips at 2d a bag and bottles of Tizer and Jubbly  the latter if you were of the orange juice persuasion.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

David,

I trust that was a typo error as the lovely 61766 is a K2/2.  . I would assume it is a London Road's kit as this loco class has never appeared as a RTR item..

Kind Regards,Derek

London Road kit it is Derek, one of only a few that have been successfully completed, or so I'm told.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Phil I was born and now live in Grantham and I must point out that not only were fruit pies available,but we also had Telephones and Electricity Upp here. :jester:

However my memory lets me down on the manufacturer of the pies.

Lyons at Grantham station Derek, I used to buy them there.

Gilbert,

I thought it was Lyons, but couldn't be sure.I had the K2 built for me by Allan Hammett,a friend and an excellent builder. He won the competition for Best Locomotive build at Telford in the O Gauge Guild 3 or 4 years ago. A superb 04 and him a LMS man as well.

Regards,Derek..

Edited to make Allan a Friend not a Fiend

Edited by CUTLER2579

Gilbert,

I thought it was Lyons, but couldn't be sure.I had the K2 built for me by Allan Hammett,a friend and an excellent builder. He won the competition for Best Locomotive build at Telford in the O Gauge Guild 3 or 4 years ago. A superb 04 and him a LMS man as well.

Regards,Derek..

Edited to make Allan a Friend not a Fiend

Lyons individual fruit pies? Regardless of stated flavour or colour of filling they all tasted of apple and about half a ton of sugar....YUK!

I like your K2 - nice to see a good pre-groupling mogul. I had a go at the ACE 7mm etched brass K2 kit. I am sorry to say that it went into the bin after I had wasted many an hour trying to get it to fit together. I won't say it can't be done but I couldn't do it.

Chaz

G'day Gents

You learn something every day, I never knew that Maggie worked for Lyons fruit pies, probably putting the 'Blue'berries in the pies, but the biggest surprise, they made K2's as well, pastry loco's..........!!!

manna

• RMweb Premium

Lyons individual fruit pies? Regardless of stated flavour or colour of filling they all tasted of apple and about half a ton of sugar....YUK!

I like your K2 - nice to see a good pre-groupling mogul. I had a go at the ACE 7mm etched brass K2 kit. I am sorry to say that it went into the bin after I had wasted many an hour trying to get it to fit together. I won't say it can't be done but I couldn't do it.

Chaz

Oh I say dear chap, that's a bit harsh. I still fondly remember the apricot flavoured ones, yummy! Didn't like blackcurrant though. Come to think of it, I still don't. Perhaps being forced to drink gallons of Ribena when a kid had something to do with it.

• RMweb Premium

And so to this evening's photos.

post-98-0-65171100-1471298060_thumb.jpg

One of the first Down evening expresses rounds the curve at the South end, behind the inevitable Copley Hill A1.

post-98-0-43823000-1471298191_thumb.jpg

I'll save you having to look up the name. Next I came over all clever like, and decided to give you a new angle.

post-98-0-95029000-1471298292_thumb.jpg

And then remembered that I told Peter Leyland not to bother detailing the back of the bridge, as it would never be seen. However, this one does give a starring role to that little black hut, which has previously only been seen in the distance, or partly erased by the magic wand tool when photoshopping. Why is it so improbably clean? I have a summer 1958 picture showing it freshly repainted, so that is how Peter did it.

• Like 19

And so to this evening's photos.

attachicon.gif141 1.JPG

One of the first Down evening expresses rounds the curve at the South end, behind the inevitable Copley Hill A1.

attachicon.gif141 3.JPG

I'll save you having to look up the name. Next I came over all clever like, and decided to give you a new angle.

attachicon.gif141 4.JPG

And then remembered that I told Peter Leyland not to bother detailing the back of the bridge, as it would never be seen. However, this one does give a starring role to that little black hut, which has previously only been seen in the distance, or partly erased by the magic wand tool when photoshopping. Why is it so improbably clean? I have a summer 1958 picture showing it freshly repainted, so that is how Peter did it.

WOT!?! No pile of junk behind that stop block? They always seem to grow a collection of stuff.

If you were to exercise your cropping rights you could cut off all but the underside of the bridge. However this view is one of the least interesting you have given us so I guess you won't be doing a lot of shots from this viewpoint?

• RMweb Premium

WOT!?! No pile of junk behind that stop block? They always seem to grow a collection of stuff.

If you were to exercise your cropping rights you could cut off all but the underside of the bridge. However this view is one of the least interesting you have given us so I guess you won't be doing a lot of shots from this viewpoint?

Absolutely. It was just one of those things I decided to have a go at, in the hope of giving a different viewpoint. It won't happen again, as it would be no good until a load of detailing was done, and that isn't going to happen, as the area is now very hard to reach.

A free morning, before going and hitting yet more golf balls among the stags in Wollaton Park. Too early for the rutting season, thank goodness. Well, it is for the stags anyway. We did once see a young couple there.... but I digress. Some more fairly boring pictures follow.

attachicon.gif141 5.JPG

attachicon.gif141 6.JPG

attachicon.gif141 7.JPG

Only the last one is worthy of any comment. It shows my interim solution for the problem of that siding which goes nowhere.

And for my money that last is the best of the three. Your "interim solution" works very well, the wagon(s) add interest to the scene. (Any picture that includes a GNR somersault gets my vote!)

Chaz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

The first shot really demonstrates how close-coupled your locos are, looks really good.

I have a Hornby A4 won't even go round one of my curves that every other loco does, still working at finding the problem... So dreams of close coupling are on hold<G>

Pic 3 is an excellent, simple solution, draws no attention to itself.

Syd