Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold

Loved the photo of the West Riding earlier Gilbert.  The A1 diagrams for this are a trifle strange though mixing Ardsley and Copley Hill locos, but it seems they were almost interchangeable.  It reminds me I still need several more A1s just to have enough variety.

Cheers

Tony

No trains ran today, as I got fixated with cleaning and such like. I know I said at morning tea break I wouldn't do any more, but I did. I find it rewarding to look at things which have been a mess, sometimes for years, and see them neat and tidy and sometimes gleaming. This is a bit worrying

Wait until you get so obsessive that you start taking stuff to bits to clean it "properly".

• Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
26 minutes ago, JeffP said:

Wait until you get so obsessive that you start taking stuff to bits to clean it "properly".

Unlikely Jeff, as the chances of my putting it back together again properly are not high. However, this morning I have already cleaned another window sill in the railway room, and crawled into the most inaccessible place in the room. My back, my neck and my knees are all protesting now.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Premium

A much nicer day in prospect , so onwards we go. Morning photos feature the humble 4F, its task to take the 5.32 from East to Leicester.

1109633638_84F.JPG.80c1281b8c33e960e837eecf2f688e31.JPG

715142418_94F2.JPG.64968f208f34f1c09c9440226a5975fb.JPG

One thing I did find the other day was a file containing my collection of Locomotives Illustrated, amassed over many years, and I've been leafing through some of them. We all have personal preferences, but let's see where we go with this. Taking one wheel configuration at a time, what do you think to be the most attractive of its type?  Not confined to the LNER and constituents, though one might expect them to feature heavily.

So, let us commence with .... the humble 0.6.0. The most attractive/graceful British 0.6.0 to run in the glorious days of steam.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium
8 minutes ago, great northern said:

A much nicer day in prospect , so onwards we go. Morning photos feature the humble 4F, its task to take the 5.32 from East to Leicester.

1109633638_84F.JPG.80c1281b8c33e960e837eecf2f688e31.JPG

715142418_94F2.JPG.64968f208f34f1c09c9440226a5975fb.JPG

One thing I did find the other day was a file containing my collection of Locomotives Illustrated, amassed over many years, and I've been leafing through some of them. We all have personal preferences, but let's see where we go with this. Taking one wheel configuration at a time, what do you think to be the most attractive of its type?  Not confined to the LNER and constituents, though one might expect them to feature heavily.

So, let us commence with .... the humble 0.6.0. The most attractive/graceful British 0.6.0 to run in the glorious days of steam.

GWR outside-framed Dean Goods or SE&CR O1.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium
28 minutes ago, great northern said:

Where to start, too many to choose .....  

I think I'd like to put a shout out for Gresley's J39 (and similar J38) class.  Obviously not 'Victorian' in styling but dating from an era when function (especially for a goods engine) would have priority over form nevertheless they are a neat design and almost elegant in their own way.  I was struck by this when looking at the pictures Tony Wright put on his thread a little while ago.

I think the Bachmann model hardly does them justice, really, in a way I can't quite put my finger on but something to do with the dated and clunky detailing I suppose.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Given that the 0-6-0 was the backbone of freight and other operations on British railways for the best part of 100 years, this is a large topic to go at! The Caledonian, the NER, NBR, Midland,  to name but a few, all operated some excellent looking and very useful 0-6-0 classes. The Dean goods must surely be up there and I also really like the rarely modeled Armstrong or standard goods, although they were mostly gone by the 1930s. Early GC types would also be on my list including 23s, and what became LNER J12. 

Cheers,

Alastair M

Edited by A Murphy
spelling
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, St Enodoc said:

GWR outside-framed Dean Goods or SE&CR O1.

The term outside frame dean goods is misleading and, I suspect, was probably coined by Keyser when they released a kit.  The prototypes shared little commonality with the 2301 class and their most direct relative was probably the Stella class 2.4.0's.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Denbridge said:

The term outside frame dean goods is misleading and, I suspect, was probably coined by Keyser when they released a kit.  The prototypes shared little commonality with the 2301 class and their most direct relative was probably the Stella class 2.4.0's.

I stand corrected. Can I change Dean to Armstrong or does that make it worse?