Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Well, that was clever, wasn't it? I forgot to hit submit reply last night, didn't I? So you have to wait for the last of the sequence for a while longer.

Thanks for the thoughts on lighting. I agree that as it is supposed to be summer, there is too much of a cold feel, and I shall shortly do some fiddling about.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium
7 minutes ago, FarrMan said:

It was not always summer in Peterborough in those days!

One might say it was rarely summer some years, but it was rarely December either, so I do need to warm things up a bit.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

Definitely moving away from the ice-cold look.

Ian, Did your desire to dress up in strange clothes start when you moved to The Sarthe? I can't believe you would have been thus attired at Wellesley Grove in days gone by?

Kind regards,

Richard B

• Thanks 1
  • Round of applause 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
37 minutes ago, great northern said:

I tried this, and for me it didn't work, but I'll leave you to decide.

It's an interesting angle!  A pity the front of the loco is out of focus, but that gives it more of a 1950s Box Brownie feel.

• Agree 4

• RMweb Premium
11 hours ago, Captain_Mumbles said:

Any chance of seeing some more consists with some of the crimson and cream Gresley and Thompson coaches and brake vans for inspirational purposes?

Not many of those on a Saturday, I'm afraid, but if one does show up I'll try to remember to feature the stock.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, great northern said:

A visit from Tim, now Timasina, today, and as usual there were goodies, which I have decided to ration this time, rather than give you a surfeit all at once. First one coming up, but as usual some explanation precedes it. As you will know, most of you anyway, A2/3 Dante was recently retired from PN, and has moved to a new home. It had to be replaced, and my choice was.....

1193437638_15001.JPG.379ac2e52ab6ef74ece445d58d5fa4e3.JPG

496415377_25002.JPG.5c72f21c20911ccc5d73c04c0882a0d2.JPG

Whatever we may think about the man himself, the loco named after him was allocated to New England for most of its relatively short existence, and really has to be included as one of the most regularly seen. I had CGW nameplates for ET, acquired many years ago, and Tim and I had talked about doing it years before the Hornby model appeared. He found a new apple green loco for a very good price, and as a BR so called green one would have had a complete repaint, that's what we did. I found a colour photo taken in 1960, about five months after a general overhaul, and as the previous overhaul had been in April 58, I felt that it would be a good indication of what it looked like by August.

Tim has achieved exactly what I'd hoped for, which is a loco that has gradually been accumulating grime since it came out of the paint shop, but which had not yet had time to get to New England's all too common condition. By August 59 it was utterly filthy.

Two more to come tomorrow, one of which may involve me in copyright issues with one our most eminent contributors.

Morning Gilbert

Tim has worked his magic again, stunning looking model and superbly weathered.

Regards

David

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, great northern said:

Time for the next goodie, and it is another V2. In fact it is a loco which has been seen on PN for some time, but which again has gone to a new home. That one was Pro Scale, ex Stoke and Charwelton, though I had renumbered it to 60862, a KX engine. There were couping difficulties with that one though, so it has been replaced with another Timmed Bachmann loco, but with the same identity. As we always do if possible, this is weathered as evidenced by a contemporary colour image.

730859988_38621.JPG.1c9a786f9c500cedc7664f45f4110ac7.JPG

2028890516_48622.JPG.d4d485920f25123640f109117f808586.JPG

Going by quite a lot of published photos, it appears that 60862 was usually smartly turned out, which Tim has (as usual) caught to a tee!

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, 31A said:

Going by quite a lot of published photos, it appears that 60862 was usually smartly turned out, which Tim has (as usual) caught to a tee!

Not always so neat as a pin....  The reference photo we chose this time was the one of it on a fitted freight near Brookmans Park in early 1959, where the firebox and tender seem to be a little on the grubbier side.  It's not easy to tell from the model photos, alas....

Either way, it was nice to do this one, especially the fun I had (ha!) with the smokebox number plate!

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Tim said:

Not always so neat as a pin....  The reference photo we chose this time was the one of it on a fitted freight near Brookmans Park in early 1959, where the firebox and tender seem to be a little on the grubbier side.  It's not easy to tell from the model photos, alas....

Either way, it was nice to do this one, especially the fun I had (ha!) with the smokebox number plate!

Smoke box no. plate?