Peterborough North

great northern

Gilbert,

Jeff P's trainspotting needs are the very least of your worries. That A4 is going nowhere until somebody gets a couple of lamps on it and you could be removed from a certain friend's Christmas card list!

Concerned of Ancaster

• Like 1

More nice pics, despite missing ANOTHER "streak".

My dad's old car is standing on that forecourt, the buff (two-tone) Ford Zephyr?Zodiac?Consul.

Used my binoculars, (the zoom function) to confirm it was 60030, fairly common, then. I don't like taking the word of other spotters, I don't want to be labelled a "cribber".

Edited by JeffP
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Jeff P's trainspotting needs are the very least of your worries. That A4 is going nowhere until somebody gets a couple of lamps on it and you could be removed from a certain friend's Christmas card list!

Concerned of Ancaster

I think that bang on the head might have upset things a bit Dave. No lamps while he is waiting in the bay. When the train for which this is the relief engine arrives I'm sure the fireman will do the necessary. Seriously, I'm relieved that the consequences of the accident weren't too bad, and you seem to be getting back on form already.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Miserable day here, so I decided we will have a shot of the day in addition to those I've already posted. It was so gloomy at 3.00pm though that the lights had to go on, and I still don't like the effect they give. Anyway, here is the Up afternoon Glasgow - KX arriving behind Mons Meg. She will come off here and retire to New England. Golden Fleece, having waited in the bay for some time will take over for the last 76 miles to London. As usual, I don't notice things till too late. Someone has tried to nick the A2's smokebox numberplate, but has only succeeded in removing part of it. :O And as usual, we are missing part of a chimney. I suppose "Paint.Net ate my chimney" doesn't quite have the same ring to it as the famous "Freddy Starr ate my hamster".

post-98-0-99297400-1352741467_thumb.jpg

• Like 17

Those forecourt shots are beauties and I envy the space you have for building outside of the railway fence so-to-speak. Not only that but Peter's buildings are as much a delight to the eye as your trackwork, signals, locos and trains. Funny thing is I always recognise the real Peterborough instantly on railway vidoes now!

Edited by coachmann
  • Like 3

• RMweb Premium

I have decided to share with you a recent disappointment. Back in September 1956 I was standing by Newark North signal box, not trespassing of course, there was a fence between me and the box, when during the afternoon dead hour there suddenly appeared a light engine, 61650 Grimsby Town fresh out of Doncaster paint shop. What a beautiful sight, and a Colchester engine too, so a major cop. So, when Hornby announced Grimsby Town as one of the first B17's, I had to have it, even though I am a Lincoln City supporter. Yes, I am he :blush: but I lived in Lincoln from the age of six months, so it will be my team for ever, that's my excuse. Anyway, AndyRush then told me that there were no Colchester diagrams to Peterborough in 1958, but undeterred I went on to plan B. The loco was withdrawn in September 1958, so I decided that March borrowed it for a few days on its way up the GN&GE to Doncaster and oblivion. But then a few days ago TW sent me some images of the locos Hornby are doing. :O

post-98-0-14249700-1352823577_thumb.jpg

August 1958! Now I suppose it is no surprise that a loco on its last legs was allowed to degenerate into such a state, but now I know this is what it looked like I can't justify running it in a clean state, and I won't run it in this condition- I'd rather remember it as it was in '56. So, Huddersfield Town it will have to be, at least she was a March engine. End of sad tale.

• Like 10

• RMweb Premium

A triumph for historical accuracy! :mail:

Andy

Indeed Andy, though there are times when this historical accuracy business becomes a bit of a nuisance. However I've started down that road, so there should be no going back now. Note however the word "should". :this: :unsureclear:

• Like 1

Ah, come on Gilbert, I was born in Cleethorpes*, so would have loved to have seen Grimsby Town on here.

Can't you just do her as careworn?

* That makes me, in local slang, a "Meggy".

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Jeff, is Cleethorpes still closed :blum: ? (sorry all, sort of 'private' joke from long ago).

My day has been made :superstition:; well Gilbert, if you can justify Huddersfield Town on PN, I can therefore, with hysteric (sic) accuracy, present the exceptional 35028 (that is Clan Line) on my green/blue diesel (apologies all for that awful set of words) set up, as it was in 1974 when very busy on Railtours around good old GB. Unfortunately I'll be having to convert it (or get it converted) to EM and that is a right faff. I believe that nice Hornby lot produce a BP with DCC so that's a help but I'd need a reblow (careful......... :mosking: ) and new identity :blackeye:

Oh yes, TWs pic - wonderful pairing and what fun to have that couple appear mid 'performance'; 'spotters' fainting everywhere.

Phil

• RMweb Premium

Time for shot of the day, though as usual I can't resist more than one. Today's featured train is the Down afternoon Talisman, behind Dominion of Canada. I know,JeffP, another common one, but that's the way it was.

post-98-0-09305700-1352906037_thumb.jpg

Another shot from Crescent Bridge, which allows me to check again how the dock area looks. That's OK, but as usual we have to big and too low an expanse of sky. I've left the wood on the side of the fiddle yard in, as I'm wondering whether I could stick a bit of a backscene on there when taking photos. I'd have to shoot from a lower position obviously, but it might improve things. Any comments or alternative suggestions?

post-98-0-25746700-1352906361_thumb.jpg

Number 10 passes Doncaster Rovers, which after hours simmering at the North end has now backed on to the 5.17pm to March.

post-98-0-76222000-1352906570_thumb.jpg

A quick dash to the other end, she's going very slowly remember, and we can capture her emerging from the gloom of the overall roof.

post-98-0-18141700-1352906719_thumb.jpg

One more shot of a Top shed A4, turned out in typical condition to work one of the shed's most prestigious duties.

• Like 17

Another shot from Crescent Bridge, which allows me to check again how the dock area looks. That's OK, but as usual we have to big and too low an expanse of sky. I've left the wood on the side of the fiddle yard in, as I'm wondering whether I could stick a bit of a backscene on there when taking photos. I'd have to shoot from a lower position obviously, but it might improve things. Any comments or alternative suggestions?

I think what need is to see if some kind soul reading the site has any colour images taken from Crescent bridge in the 1950-1970 span that can be tidied up as a suitable background for images, something akin to a dated version of this shot - http://www.colour-rail.com/Preview.aspx?ImgRef=299698

Can local libraries assist?

A nearly shot - http://www.peterboroughimages.co.uk/blog/?p=3244

BTW - here's a nice angle it should be possible to replicate now/soon.

• Like 1

JeffP

ref your post #2878.

I felt obliged to make the dangerous journey into Nottinghamshire to check out the forecourt at Peterborough North and I am able to confirm that the two Fords are in fact 6 cylinders so I think Zephyrs although maybe Zodiacs but certainly Gilbert would not entertain 'Budget' Consuls. While I was there I thought I might as well spend five minutes train spotting and checking out the underside of the baseboards to see how DCC is wired up, it was OK getting underneath but a bit more of a struggle getting back on two feet. I think it's high time he employed a fit young Swedish au-pair (preferably one that's into ballasting) to help ageing modellers.

• Like 5

Huddersfield town is only a cock stride from Greenfield, so you set me wondering if a triumph for historical accuracy might be heading my way. Sadly its a likely as Owdham Latics winin' the cup. :(

Larry, don't know what your period is, but if it was prior to 1954, you could have Huddersfield Town over Woodhead to Guide Bridge, then returning via Stanedge to Eastern metals. That way it would pass Greenfield.

gresley

• Like 1