Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Gold
22 hours ago, great northern said:

And I'd be happy to show some. However, I cannot find a way to get slides from the new Powerpoint to here, and I'm very reluctant indeed to risk messing up all the work I've done so far by experimenting with it. My computer knowledge really is stone age I'm afraid. I tried just clicking on a slide and copy, which seemed a sensible way to start, but I don't have a clue where it has been copied to, if indeed it has been copied at all.

Hope I’m not teaching you to suck eggs, but when you ‘copy’ you then have to ‘paste’ it somewhere to complete the action. But the list of file types acceptable for use on this forum does not include PowerPoint (suffix of .ppt or .pptx) so I suspect it wouldn’t copy /paste here anyway. To do that, you’d need to save it as a different file type, probably a pdf.

Ian

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, ITG said:

Hope I’m not teaching you to suck eggs, but when you ‘copy’ you then have to ‘paste’ it somewhere to complete the action. But the list of file types acceptable for use on this forum does not include PowerPoint (suffix of .ppt or .pptx) so I suspect it wouldn’t copy /paste here anyway. To do that, you’d need to save it as a different file type, probably a pdf.

Ian

Many thanks. Confirms what I suspected. Powerpoint is different. How to get round that remains a mystery at present though.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, great northern said:

Many thanks. Confirms what I suspected. Powerpoint is different. How to get round that remains a mystery at present though.

Well, one way would be to simply save the PowerPoint slide(s) you wish to post on this forum as a pdf. Several ways to do so, but easiest may be ‘save as’ the existing PPT file as a copy, with a different file name. Then highlight and delete the slides you do not wish to publish. Then save the new file by ‘save as’ again, but this time change the file type as you do so to a pdf. Then that new pdf file can be attached to a post on this forum. There are other ways but trying to stick to the most straightforward. PM me if you wish to converse in more detail about a step-by-step approach.

Ian

On 31/12/2021 at 11:39, great northern said:

Use print to PDF, then attach the PDF here.

My computer has a 'Print to PDF' option when I choose to print a document from Office.  If that doesn't appear on your computer then there are free PDF printers available.  A PDF printer is not a physical printer, but a piece of software that converts your Office document to a PDF file.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Podhunter said:

Use print to PDF, then attach the PDF here.

My computer has a 'Print to PDF' option when I choose to print a document from Office.  If that doesn't appear on your computer then there are free PDF printers available.  A PDF printer is not a physical printer, but a piece of software that converts your Office document to a PDF file.

Just to add to that, if you print it to pdf as a 'handout', 6 slides to a page, the content should still be readable, but much shorter!

Lloyd

• Thanks 1

On 01/01/2022 at 22:09, great northern said:

When light is so scarce, I have to take more pictures of the same things, as time to put together more trains is limited. So here is more of the same, but at least featuring two locos rather than just the one.

18492588_3122and62.JPG.9c63238523a3524fa9132bd0d88b5e1c.JPG

This is one of the few layouts with enough space and perspective for a shot like this. It's so well done. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 5

34 minutes ago, great northern said:

The Stanier tank rests at Platform 2. Just one more mile to go, and quite a lot of it downhill.

889711928_1225732.JPG.582ea9195637ccbf5e151231fcd6460c.JPG

Good morning Gilbert,

A (belated) Happy New Year.

Nice shots (as usual), but the Stanier 2-6-4T seems to have derailed its pony somewhere underneath the overall roof. 

Did it not cause a problem when you moved it back to the fiddle yard? Or, is it still sitting there? 

I know from my own experience, if a leading pony or bogie becomes derailed, it's not long before its effect is apparent. 

Regards,

Tony.

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium
35 minutes ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Gilbert,

Nice shots (as usual), but the Stanier 2-6-4T seems to have derailed its pony somewhere underneath the overall roof. 

Did it not cause a problem when you moved it back to the fiddle yard? Or, is it still sitting there? 

I know from my own experience, if a leading pony or bogie becomes derailed, it's not long before its effect is apparent. 

Regards,

Tony.

Tony,

In my experience and with my Peco points, I find that a trailing point can often re-rail a pony or bogie whereas a facing point nearly always ends in tears. The noise is normally apparent beforehand but can be hidden with some lovely DCC sound!

Regards

Andy

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Tony Wright said:

Good morning Gilbert,

Regards,

Tony.

Oh dear, I did it again. I'm pretty certain what caused this. When operating up the other end of the room, the overall roof means I can't see the loco emerging at the far end till it has gone further than it should with a short stopping train, so I have to guess. When I walk down there and find that I guessed wrong, I put the loco where I want it by pushing it with my hand. That is a good way to derail it. Then my now wonky eyes don't notice it when I take the photo.

It is ten days since I took this, but I don't recall any problems on the way back to the fiddle yard.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 10