Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

G'Day Gents

Fantastic pictures, I never realized how big the forecourt of the the station is, it's huge !

In the early 70's (sorry) when we arrived from the 'Cross' with a stopping train, we normally arrived at platform 6 (where your GE stoppers arrive), from there we would propel our train back into the carrage sidings, down by the Nene river,  (sorry can't remember there name) do you do the same! always thought it was such a wonderful conflicting move.

manna

There isn't room for Nene sidings on the model, though the sequence does demand that locomotives reverse their trains down there. The fiddle yard has to stand in for the real thing as so often happens, but at least the movement does take place. It's yet another illustration of the remarkable, (some might say ridiculous), vagaries of operation to be found. The staff must have been really on the ball to fit this kind of movement in considering the line occupation demanded by the WTT.

• RMweb Premium

Good morning. My drugs are not working today so beware. :scared:

According to Gok, Gilbert, in railway mode,would wear a neat brown or blue (woodwork/metalwork teacher of old style) or grey (physics lab assistant of old) Running Foreman/Inspector style coat. Shirt and tie with polished black boots. His overalls would be reserved for some cleaning activities or possibly firing.

If he is in Top Link 'driver mode' then he would wear 'blues' and a tie. Polished black boots or stout shoes compulsory (and cycle clips would only be applied to trouser leg bottoms once on the footplate.  On a Dub Dee he would probably dress down a little but I don't think Dub Dees would be on Gilbert's roster. :rtfm:   

Quack

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I suppose there were bound to be temporary transfers that never got into the official records, and this seems to be one of them, as there is no trace of 62666 being allocated to Lincoln in 1958. She was there the year before though, and must be working a Lincoln diagram today. How else would she be at the head of the 8.50pm to Grimsby? Perhaps one of those new fangled DMU thingies broke down(again)? :jester: post-98-0-03570000-1376238821_thumb.jpg

This was an attempt at a rapidly darkening sky as dusk sets in. Didn't work though, did it? Just looks gloomy.

post-98-0-78861300-1376239211_thumb.jpg

In experimental mode, I then tried to do something which suggested near darkness, relieved only by moonlight and a couple of yard lamps. That didn't work either......

post-98-0-64025200-1376239326_thumb.jpg

So for this close up of a very handsome engine, I just allowed daylight to return.

• Like 15

Well, it might be me. It would definitely have been me if I'd been told I was going to be in shot - I would have got my posture right. :blush:

Hmmm - teenchy signs of an undercooked lordosis, perhaps?

May I also say what a continuing source of inspiration and enjoyment this thread is. Between you and Tony Wright, you must be driving so many of us to strive for higher and higher standards.

Anthony

• RMweb Premium

What???? :O  Never ever did. :nono:  So I am unreliably informed. :read:

Ah, but there is evidence Clive,post-98-0-28528200-1376297922_thumb.jpg

Photo copyright and courtesy of Andrew C Ingram, and not to be further reproduced. The caption says this J17 "drags a lifeless multiple unit from East to North station". Which reminds me, I haven't got a J17......yet.

Sorry Clive, I couldn't resist it. :devil:

• RMweb Gold

No.2 was firmly underlined in my ABC Gilbert so it must have made it south of York at least once and I wasn't allowed to stay out too late back then ;) (not that I was very far south of York in my ECML spotting days).  Smashing pics as usual - lovely time machine you have there

You were luckier than I was. I can't include this loco among the 19 streaks I saw. I can agree about the quality of the layout and the pics!

• Like 1

The thing with dusk is that as you lose the light in the sky, you lose it on everything else too. As the sun goes down, the general level of light is reduced, and the things furthest from the light source get darker first. The result is that things on the ground slip into shadow, but the sky is still being lit by the sun which has sunk below the horizon, so it is the last place to go dark. Light travels in a straight line, so it's only reflected light that hits the ground at all. Your eyes then compensate for the lack of light, so the sky ends up looking as light a colour as it does in daylight, while everything else is in shadow.

Probably better not to try any photos in the gathering dusk so, unless it's the silhouette of an A4 against the sky (which would be nice).

Alan

• RMweb Premium

No.2 was firmly underlined in my ABC Gilbert so it must have made it south of York at least once and I wasn't allowed to stay out too late back then ;) (not that I was very far south of York in my ECML spotting days).  Smashing pics as usual - lovely time machine you have there

Things did change when the A4's all got double kylchaps, and more lodging turns were introduced, the result being more Gateshead engines down South, and more A4's too, their performance having been transformed by the improved draughting. Before that, 52A A4's were, allegedy, a poor lot, and apart from number 5 which always had the double chimney, they did little or no top link work. Even so, number 2 remained an elusive loco, for me at least. I did see it - I saw all of them - but not very often.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert my Sir Murrough is significantly more dirty than that!

The standard of cleanliness did improve significantly when they started to be used on the Talisman David, so I've left this one in a bit better condition. Number 23 isn't though.

• Like 1

The standard of cleanliness did improve significantly when they started to be used on the Talisman David, so I've left this one in a bit better condition. Number 23 isn't though.

Every time I see a Gateshead engine  I shudder with shame. :-(

Tony.

• RMweb Premium

The leading coach is a BSO,  southern pride or Bachmann with Comet sides?

I'm not sure David. It was one of John Houlden's, and we did some swapping when he realised that MK1 BSO's weren't built till after the period in which Gamston Bank is set.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Every time I see a Gateshead engine  I shudder with shame. :-(

Tony.

New England were no better Tony, but then in 1955 167 locos were allocated, for which there were 9 cleaners, and just 2 for shed cleaning. Geoffrey Freeman Allen put that down to the much better wages available in local industry, so it is quite likely that Gateshead had the same problem.