Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

Nice to see you back in harness Gilbert. I know you've been busy with other matters recently but I, for one, have missed regular updates on PN. I was speaking to 600067 the other day who told me that you seemed very down at Dave's funeral. I hope you are feeling more like your old self now.

Get out on that golf course, it'll do you the world of good!

Hi Rob,

Yes, I'm fine thanks, and the work involved in disposing of Dave's layout is winding down now that most has been sold. Golf is still on the agenda, even some practicing is taking place! And, I'm hitting the ball better than I have for years.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Good to see some of Dave's loco's back in service. Here's something to ponder, was the A4 that he referred to as "Mucky Duck" was actually 60021 Wild Swan. Is that one missing from you collection?

Paul 4475

He said that when he saw it it was always filthy, so I reckon that must have been in 1963 when even Top Shed stopped cleaning engines. I reckon it is one of the loveliest names in the whole class, and so it was one of the first renamings I did, and of course it is in 1958 Top Shed condition.

• Like 1

Very little has been happening at PN lately, as my attention has been elsewhere. I did have a visit from our duck the other day though, and we spent a happy hour or two running some trains, nearly all of which ran nice and smoothly when asked.

For some days now, a box has sat in my railway room, but I haven't felt the time was right to unpack it. Somehow though, today I just feel differently, so I shall share with you a couple of the contents. First though, a bit of background information. Back in late 2012, I decided to get my mate Dave Shakespeare a layout warming/ Christmas present. It wasn't something we were in the habit of doing, but having seen the lovely new house completed, and the work in the railway room already started, it seemed like a good idea. So, I acquired a Hornby B1, and asked Tim Easter to transform it into a down at heel early 60's Wakefield loco, which he duly did. Unfortunately it had been considerably over oiled, and Tim found out just before he was due to deliver it that the oil had soaked through and caused patches on the boiler. Somehow, he managed to put it right, and four days before Christmas I was able to present it to Dave. It was the only time in our long friendship that I saw him lost for words! He soon recovered though, and asked if he could see it running, which we did. Typically, he sent Tim a lovely e-mail of thanks.

Of course within a month came the dreadful diagnosis, and Dave's request to me to dispose of the whole of his railway collection. He asked me though to keep the B1, and run it on PN, but not to change its identity. He also insisted that I take a complete train, so I came home with a WD and loaded minerals too. Later in the year though, when things looked so promising, I took it all back to him - never was there a happier task. In the end though, the B1 has come back to me. Julie kindly told me to take whatever I wanted as well, saying that Dave would like to think that his stock was on PN. As you will see, I did take rather more, but despite Julie's refusing to accept payment, I shall donate to Cancer Research as so many of you have so generously done.

attachicon.gif1023 1.jpg

attachicon.gif1023 2.jpg

On his visits to PN, Dave invariably commented on the fact that a particular A4 was never to be seen. He was four years younger than me, and so it was in the early 60's that he saw steam. He remembered seeing the occasional A4, though he claimed it was always the same ones. One of them was 60017 Silver Fox, and another what he always referred to as "Mucky Duck". I can't find that one in my combined volume for some reason, but I'm sure he wasn't referring in derogatory terms to one of the most frequent visitors to these pages. Anyway, Dave had Silver Fox, and now he no longer needs her, she has also come to grace PN.

attachicon.gif17.jpg

Gilbert,

The B1 is a beautiful piece of work, and looks so natural. 

A lovely gesture as well to present it to Dave, and I'm sure it will be now cherished as much on PN as it would have been (but for this ghastly disease) on the new TM.

As for the oil 'problem', it might have something to do with Hornby's formula for lubrication, not necessarily to do with too much of the stuff. I renumbered/weathered two Hornby O1s a couple of years ago. Neither seemed over-oiled at source, yet both now have shiny patches on the footplate/boiler where oil has crept up (it can't have seeped through, can it?). Since one started out with a deliberate 'sheen' to its weathering, the further effect isn't too bad but I'm concerned more for the all-matt one as the 'creep' seems relentless. I haven't added more oil at any time.

I have a Hornby B1 being weathered at the moment, so we'll see if that is affected in the same way. 

Thanks, too, for all your hard work over the last few weeks in finding new homes for Dave's model railway stuff.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Absolutely cracking pictures Gilbert; of course we understand the solemn and necessary reasons for you being occupied elsewhere, but it's good to have you back behind the controls at Peterborough North again.

I do like the 'new view' of the O1 under the bridge - yet another good spot for pictures there...

David

• RMweb Premium

Oh I am so pleased to have seen that lot and with my lovely Wollywinder as the star A3. A superb shot G. Thank you.

The rear 3/4 of the A3 is just so right & the nicely weathered 01 is excellent in the under the bridge (new) shot; brilliant.

Made my day and I shall now have some more rouge vino and then pretend to be studying my reference material to confirm the design of SR lamps in Seatonish Junctionish west yard when in actual fact I shall be asleep.

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic pictures once again, and I really like the commentary as to what is where and when... and why!

The 01 is out of focus, but I can't see a way to avoid that.

As you're clearly adept at Photoshop (something I've not yet mastered) you may want to take a look at Andy York's thread on pictures for the magazine.

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/84168-whats-involved-with-processing-an-image-for-the-magazine/

The first entry has links to some videos he made on techniques used. The first video is all about layering to get a greater depth of field. I've not tried it, but it looks to be exactly what you're after here.

I have to say, I like them as they are. But if you want that depth of field it may be of use!

Kind regards, Neil

• RMweb Premium

Remember Gilbert that I have the ability to provide smellaroma for your fish vans (no sniggering at the back please......).

By jove they look very Grim(sby) :declare:

Quackers.

P.S. I'm jealous of your lovely signals.

An explanation is called for. When the duck came to help us parcel things up last Tuesday, he kindly brought with him a number of boxes, which proved very useful. Two of them though needed no written description as to what their previous contents had been. I honestly can't remember which lucky purchasers are getting their goods encased in those. :stinker: :biggrin_mini2:

• RMweb Premium

OK I own up..........Fishcakes from Grimsby* (boxes from....). I suggested that the Tetlys Mills' fish vans should  could be dispatched in those, thus providing smellaroma vans!

I suspect Dave would have liked the idea of DCC Smellaroma so that one could programme a waft of stinky fish as the train rushed through PN [when I say rushed I mean negotiated expertly the speed limited section(s).] In fact smellaroma could catch on but that is not for discussion here.

(Other fishcake suppliers are available, however these are really 'andsome cakes  :imsohappy: )

Thank you for your patience.

Duck of 36E

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Some years ago a US concern offered a product called "Olfactory Airs" for layouts. I do not recall that special Grimsby odour being an option.

Gilbert - while the big green glamour girls may be the signature of a fine railway, it was the humble 0-6-0s and station pilots that secured the bread and butter for those elegant locos to pull. More pics of the "ordinary" railway will never go amiss.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Catching up a little.....lovely shot of the pilots, I hadn't seen the old girl for a while!  I'm also in agreement with M'learned Duck about the rear 3/4 of the A3 - magic.

May I add my thanks regarding your task of dealing with your friend's matters - I have done that also, and it's not an easy task.  Shame about that J50 though - beyond my means!

• RMweb Premium

Superb work all round but I'm curious to how you get your lamps to stay straight.They're very good.

Is that loco lamps you are referring to? If so, the simple answer is that usually it is a fluke. I use tacky wax to hold them in place, but it is all too easy to knock them askew I'm afraid. Fixing them permanently would be better, but then of course they would be restricted to one type of train. I've already got some like that........

• RMweb Premium

Some years ago a US concern offered a product called "Olfactory Airs" for layouts. I do not recall that special Grimsby odour being an option.

Gilbert - while the big green glamour girls may be the signature of a fine railway, it was the humble 0-6-0s and station pilots that secured the bread and butter for those elegant locos to pull. More pics of the "ordinary" railway will never go amiss.

I was brought up with the humble stuff Ian, and have always had a sneaking regard for it. As you say, it was those filthy WD's and O4's that I saw at Lincoln that earned the money, and there were plenty of them. One green engine a day was our ration. It did look very nice though.

• Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Hi Mate

Great B&W photos and I have to say that your layout is superb and look huge... a very good length that we all want to have in our spare room...

Thanks for sharing those with us...

Jamie

To get more length in your spare room........... look at dividing wall between it and adjoining room, then find large lump hammer, and demolish said wall.

Health warning.

Do not attempt this

a) unless the dividing wall is not load bearing.

b) you have no "domestic authorities" to deal with. If you have, the lump hammer would probably be used on you, for even suggesting it..... :jester: :threaten: :punish: