Peterborough North

great northern

Some time late yesterday, or in the early hours of the morning, the 500,000th view of this thread took place. That's half a million :O Somehow it sounds more when put that way. However you express it, it is quite astounding that my effort should generate such interest. Many thanks to all who have contributed, human and fowl, and especially to those who have stuck with it from the very beginning. Your comments and helpful suggestions have made a huge difference, and your appreciation has made it easy to persevere.

Thanks also again to those who have helped to make it happen - I most certainly couldn't have done it all myself, and some parts I wouldn't have stood a chance of doing at all. What it does show also, is that sometimes dreams do come true. I had this dream for 40 odd years, and never thought it would happen, but it has, so keep hoping folks, keep planning, and you never know what the future may hold.

It is very approporiate that this milestone arrives as I am coming towards the end of the disposal of Tetley's Mills, as it was Dave Shakespeare who got this whole project going. " For two pins, I'd knock my two spare bedrooms into one, and start again" said I, "What's stopping you", said Dave, and demolished all my negative thoughts. So many people owe so much to him, and I'm one of them.

A few photos to commemorate the occasion. I though perhaps just some shots to show the whole layout today might be appropriate, so here they are. The sun came out, then went in again......And I just couldn't get into some corners to get a full length view, particularly of the fiddle yard, but I hope you find them enjoyable.

attachicon.giflayout 1.jpg

attachicon.giflayout 2.jpg

attachicon.giflayout 3.jpg

attachicon.giflayout 4.jpg

attachicon.giflayout 5.jpg

attachicon.giflayout 6.jpg

attachicon.giflayout 7.jpg

attachicon.giflayout 8JPG.jpg

attachicon.giflayout 9.jpg

attachicon.giflayout 10.jpg

attachicon.giflayout 11.jpg

attachicon.giflayout 12.jpg

Congratulations,...... on your 500,000 th.

Here's,...............to the next,.500,000.          you deserve it.................

Edited by David Todd
  • Like 2

Gilbert, the photos look great, but having been privileged to see it in the flesh this week do not do it justice......it's without doubt a superb project.

Many thanks for your hospitality and onwards to the millionth view.

Gilbert, congratulations on reaching 500,000 views. I think that each and every viewer (which would be a bit less than 500,000 but still an awfully high number) would have come away from the thread thoroughly inspired. I know I have!

Some time late yesterday, or in the early hours of the morning, the 500,000th view of this thread took place. 

Yes; hearty congratulations on keeping the masses entertained for many years (and out of trouble elsewhere) for which my personal thanks are due. Here's to the next half-million (the last quarter of a million took 22 months (to the day)). ;)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Fantastic achievement Gilbert and so well deserved. Your layout thread has given me so much inspiration and some very high standards to look up to. I love the way you have managed to achieve your dream, something that we can all take heart from I reckon.

Looking forward to the next half million, as long as it includes more top link engines, smaller locos and the occasional B17...

Cheers

Tony

• RMweb Premium

Fantastic achievement Gilbert and so well deserved. Your layout thread has given me so much inspiration and some very high standards to look up to. I love the way you have managed to achieve your dream, something that we can all take heart from I reckon.

Looking forward to the next half million, as long as it includes more top link engines, smaller locos and the occasional B17...

Cheers

Tony

Thanks Tony. I have indeed achieved my dream, or near enough anyway. A big lottery win would be the only way I could "improve" PN I reckon. This milestone seemed a good time to take stock though, so I've been pondering the big question, which is why does this work, and satisfy all my requirements, whereas past history, all 40 years of it, has been nothing but failure and frustration?

I've always wanted the large space needed to build an ECML layout, and for most of those 40 years I didn't have it, so at first sight the reason for my frustration seems easy to identify, but a big part of it I reckon is that because I couldn't have exactly what I wanted, I threw my toys out of the pram and did nothing at all. I should have lowered my sights, and accepted that if an L shaped terminus to fiddle yard was all I had room for, that is what I should have done.

Anyway, the big space became available 18 years ago, when I moved to where I am now, so that's nearly half that 40 years, whereas this thread has been going for just 4, so I obviously didn't see the light straight away, did I?  What went wrong up in the loft? Over excitement for a start - all my dreams suddenly achievable, couldn't wait to get started, rushed decisions......... Worst of all though, on reflection, was "big space syndrome". All this room, must fill it. :crazy:  There's a paradox here. So easy to get carried away, but then run into trouble. So, what if that lottery win did come along? The temptation would be to think even bigger, but what then? How many operators would be needed to run this monster properly? And how often would they be available? And the bigger it is, the more maintenance it is going to need.

Back to why this layout has ticked nearly all the boxes now, as I suspect the lottery win isn't going to happen. So, why has it worked? Because I approached the whole thing with a degree of planning, common sense, and willingness to face difficult questions head on that I had never managed previously. The results of this can be found way back on page 1 of this thread, and I am convinced that it was this structured approach, together with a willingness to accept that even in 25ft by 10 I couldn't have all that I wanted, which at long last resulted in the dream being realised. The whole thing is compressed and compromised, the design of the fiddle yard breaks most of the "rules", but I don't care, because I accepted those things before I started, and it looks enough like the real thing to satisfy me, and, it seems, a lot of other people too.

I could have squeezed a lot more into the space, and in the end I've done something very simple really, just a station one one side, and a fiddle yard on the other, but it works, there is enough operational compexity to keep me interested, and it is maintainable. The old adage,less is more, has worked for me folks, so I commend it to anyone contemplating that nice empty space!

• Like 9

Thanks Tony. I have indeed achieved my dream, or near enough anyway. A big lottery win would be the only way I could "improve" PN I reckon. This milestone seemed a good time to take stock though, so I've been pondering the big question, which is why does this work, and satisfy all my requirements, whereas past history, all 40 years of it, has been nothing but failure and frustration?

I've always wanted the large space needed to build an ECML layout, and for most of those 40 years I didn't have it, so at first sight the reason for my frustration seems easy to identify, but a big part of it I reckon is that because I couldn't have exactly what I wanted, I threw my toys out of the pram and did nothing at all. I should have lowered my sights, and accepted that if an L shaped terminus to fiddle yard was all I had room for, that is what I should have done.

Anyway, the big space became available 18 years ago, when I moved to where I am now, so that's nearly half that 40 years, whereas this thread has been going for just 4, so I obviously didn't see the light straight away, did I?  What went wrong up in the loft? Over excitement for a start - all my dreams suddenly achievable, couldn't wait to get started, rushed decisions......... Worst of all though, on reflection, was "big space syndrome". All this room, must fill it. :crazy:  There's a paradox here. So easy to get carried away, but then run into trouble. So, what if that lottery win did come along? The temptation would be to think even bigger, but what then? How many operators would be needed to run this monster properly? And how often would they be available? And the bigger it is, the more maintenance it is going to need.

Back to why this layout has ticked nearly all the boxes now, as I suspect the lottery win isn't going to happen. So, why has it worked? Because I approached the whole thing with a degree of planning, common sense, and willingness to face difficult questions head on that I had never managed previously. The results of this can be found way back on page 1 of this thread, and I am convinced that it was this structured approach, together with a willingness to accept that even in 25ft by 10 I couldn't have all that I wanted, which at long last resulted in the dream being realised. The whole thing is compressed and compromised, the design of the fiddle yard breaks most of the "rules", but I don't care, because I accepted those things before I started, and it looks enough like the real thing to satisfy me, and, it seems, a lot of other people too.

I could have squeezed a lot more into the space, and in the end I've done something very simple really, just a station one one side, and a fiddle yard on the other, but it works, there is enough operational compexity to keep me interested, and it is maintainable. The old adage,less is more, has worked for me folks, so I commend it to anyone contemplating that nice empty space!

I'll keep referring to this for my layout build. I'm convinced my space is too square. 15' 10" by 13' 9".