Peterborough North

great northern

The photos of 'Woolwinder', lovely photos of a lovely locomotive.

A few weeks ago I travelled to Grosmont, on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway; this to see Flying Sotsman, which was on that line for a week. Needless to say there were literally thousands of people out to see this locomotive.

Standing at Grosmont, on the crowded platform, a couple were stood in front of me. He had the SLR poised ready; his lady partner stood there looking underwhelmed, totally bemused by what was going on. Bemused, that is, until 'Scotsman' appeared, whereupon she turned to look at it and simply muttered 'Oh that's beautiful, just beautiful.'

Almost a century after she was built, the grand old lady still thrills and still captivates.

Cheers

Mike

Edited by mikemeg
  • Like 3

I even hauled Henry the hoover upstairs and gave the floor a going over. Now I realise that I have probably spawned some "You call that a mess....... this is a mess!" sort of posts, but it does look a lot better, and is easier to navigate. And I feel better for it too, though a person with a massive house dust allergy should remember to use his inhaler before starting, not when his breathing is already impaired. Sadly, although I did find one or two things I'd forgotten I had, there was nothing likely to cause a feeding frenzy on E Bay.

Well you asked for it so.....I thought you said you had a tip? :no:   That's not a tip - I can distinctly see acres of bare floor space.

About half an hour to tidy? :sarcastichand:

Chaz

Edited by chaz

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Bet you didn't know how much space you have !!!!

Now, do you remember where you have put everything ???

Stuart

Germany

It is most unlikely that I will Stuart. That's what I was thinking as I put things away. I can't even find something by tripping over it now.

• RMweb Premium

Well you asked for it so.....I thought you said you had a tip? :no:   That's not a tip - I can distinctly see acres of bare floor space.

About half an hour to tidy? :sarcastichand:

Chaz

A good couple of hours, and I really haven't done the full job even now. It is nice to see the whole of the floor again though.

• RMweb Premium

Full of smug self satisfaction at having, for once, done what I said I was going to do, I went to play with some trains after lunch. i didn't intend taking photos, as I have plenty waiting already, but then some interesting things came along, so the image store is even fuller. It'll be a while before you see those though. Anyway, here are a couple more images of the top of the layout, rather than the underside.

post-98-0-18027100-1460391938_thumb.jpg

Nottingham Forest at the excursion platform. It's next movement will be to reverse the stock down to the carriage sidings, so the fireman has removed the lamps from the front commendably quickly.

post-98-0-24884500-1460392197_thumb.jpg

Next we have coal empties from Little Barford power station running tender first on the Slow line behind a borrowed March 01. There were brake vans front and rear on this train, as it could not be turned at the other end, but the front one ran hot, and had to be removed at Huntingdon. :no:  I'm sure no-one would suggest that I forgot to attach it before running the train.

• Like 19

The question was posed as to whether Colchester locos made it to Peterborough North. There certainly were trains which catered for the troops including one which went to Newcastle and Scotland but I think that one was routed via the GE/GN joint from March to Spalding thence on to Doncaster. Nonetheless any excuse to run a footballer through is fine by me!

Martin Long

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Loved that side-on shot of Woolwinder.  Oh yas.  Thus fortified, even the B17 looked OK, I do think the GS tender suits them rather better than the little GE jobs.  Yes, I know why they had them.

The 01 photo is nice too, I don't recall seeing that little signal by the box previously.  I might have been asleep, or in a probation meeting or something.

• RMweb Premium

The question was posed as to whether Colchester locos made it to Peterborough North. There certainly were trains which catered for the troops including one which went to Newcastle and Scotland but I think that one was routed via the GE/GN joint from March to Spalding thence on to Doncaster. Nonetheless any excuse to run a footballer through is fine by me!

Martin Long

One of those did come through Peterborough, an overnight train which I think we established way back would mainly have been used by the military. Originally I intended to use Colchester engine on that, but the late lamented Andy Rush wagged his finger disapprovingly, as apparently it would not have happened. As you see, I weakened in the end though, and Harwich is quite near Colchester, isn't it?

• RMweb Premium

Loved that side-on shot of Woolwinder.  Oh yas.  Thus fortified, even the B17 looked OK, I do think the GS tender suits them rather better than the little GE jobs.  Yes, I know why they had them.

The 01 photo is nice too, I don't recall seeing that little signal by the box previously.  I might have been asleep, or in a probation meeting or something.

The signal has been there a while Neil, about eighteen months I think, but I don't think I've cropped in this close to it before.

• RMweb Premium

Today's final offerings were experimental, and not altogether what I'd hoped. The 01 again from the "wrong" side of the bridge. As you can see, this is an area which hasn't been fully developed yet.

post-98-0-06006500-1460410916_thumb.jpg

The steps up to the signal box look tempting. Quite a view from up there, I should think.

post-98-0-02539300-1460411021_thumb.jpg

I thought computers were supposed to be logical. This one mainly puts the reduced image at the top, but every now and again puts it below instead, causing me to get a rude message from some minion of our beloved leader, and to have to go back and select the right one. I'm not sure that I much like computers. and the feeling seems to be mutual.

• Like 17

Today's final offerings were experimental, and not altogether what I'd hoped. The 01 again from the "wrong" side of the bridge. As you can see, this is an area which hasn't been fully developed yet.

attachicon.gif01 2.jpg

The steps up to the signal box look tempting. Quite a view from up there, I should think.

attachicon.gif01 3.jpg

I thought computers were supposed to be logical. This one mainly puts the reduced image at the top, but every now and again puts it below instead, causing me to get a rude message from some minion of our beloved leader, and to have to go back and select the right one. I'm not sure that I much like computers. and the feeling seems to be mutual.

I like your two "experimental" shots of the 01, notwithstanding the undeveloped bits.  I don't much like those horrible couplings though.

Chaz

• RMweb Premium

A couple more this morning.

post-98-0-40991600-1460447933_thumb.jpg

The 01 passes the B17 on its way to a signal stop by Spital Bridge.

post-98-0-99962500-1460448026_thumb.jpg

It now waits for the road, which may take some time. Nothing much going on here, but I know some people like these broad views. I've kept my resolve not to photoshop those signals, which apart from anything else I can never get completely sharp.

• Like 12

• RMweb Premium

I like your two "experimental" shots of the 01, notwithstanding the undeveloped bits.  I don't much like those horrible couplings though.

Chaz

Nor do I, but in practical terms there is little alternative. I usually have a kadee on the end of rakes, and on loco tenders, but I didn't want to mess about with the buffer beam of the 01 just to cater for the very rare occasions when it might run tender first, so I just shove a tension lock in temporarily if necessary. The amount of locos and stock preclude the fitting of any other coupling device really, as does the present state of my eyes.

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

Those smaller engine lamps which are beginning to appear on your engines, eg Woolwinder, really make a big difference, compared to the rather out of scale examples attached earlier, eg on the tender of the March O1.

Indeed they do, and I intend gradually to standardise on them. With nearly 150 locos though, it will take a while. They are so small that switching them between locos really isn't an option unfortunately. Which reminds me, i must order some more.

• RMweb Premium

The next train to arrive at Platform 2 will be the afternoon Harrogate-KX, and here it comes.

post-98-0-64336600-1460498864_thumb.jpg

I shall not try to allege that the stripe on the A1's tender is a product of the infamous leaky roof of Doncaster works paint shop. No, there is a very slight gap in the blind, and the sun came out just as I took the photo. I couldn't see what had happened on the viewing screen, and so something very similar happened with this one too.

post-98-0-63190700-1460499083_thumb.jpg

Great Central, and photoshopped lattices too.

Then I went and took a shot of the 01 when it got the road and passed under Spital Bridge.

post-98-0-55491100-1460499464_thumb.jpg

I have no idea what that strange effect above the wagon is, and try as I might, I couldn't get rid of that blob in front of the cab. There's a disembodied triangle between cab and tender too. :scratchhead: It has a certain atmosphere though, don't you think? Time for bed.

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Coach roof and vents

End of roof of building.

Yo. Good pics.

P

Thanks Phil. I was pretty certain about the roof, but the roof and vents I just couldn't make myself believe. It is really dark in that corner, so I can't see how enough light would get in to cause this, but it did.

• RMweb Premium

A duck will be flying in shortly, so I've just time for a couple more shots of Great Central, now at the South end.

post-98-0-29296400-1460537707_thumb.jpg

post-98-0-67684100-1460537732_thumb.jpg

We shall be discussing electrickery, and I shall try, but fail, to look and sound knowledgeable.

Looking at the last photo again brought home to me how things have changed for the better, and how we now tend to take them for granted. I love the use of the pre grouping company names on A1s, but for most of my modelling life they were impossible to have, as no-one did the nameplates with the necessary crests. Now, we even have these, and beautifully done too.

• Like 16