Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

A duck will be flying in shortly, so I've just time for a couple more shots of Great Central, now at the South end.

We shall be discussing electrickery, and I shall try, but fail, to look and sound knowledgeable.

I presume electrickery is enough to drive you quackers Gilbert. That's why the duck is visiting of course.

It's actually something I enjoy (I've wired a car from scratch) and I'm looking forward to starting my modelling in earnest (will he mind?) later this year. Whilst I am also a bit of technophile I will draw the line, for now, at computer control, I want to be able to drive my trains - eventually.

• RMweb Premium

Well, I crashed in, looked at lots of wires under boards and very tidy they were too. I also looked at black control things and decided that I shall need to upgrade my stuff. Gilbert was very helpful indeed and we even got talking about macros.  Many thanks also for the Coach Boards matey. For a change, the drive on the A1/A46 was extremely enjoyable, in beautiful weather and I saw my first Martins (probably Sand) of this year just west of Newark over the lakes west of the sugar factory. 

All in all a very enjoyable day where no modelling was done at all but much was discussed.

Oh yes, Gilbert's floor under his layout is so tidy now that one can slide around like a little boy at a wedding disco. We didn't do that I hasten to add.

Duck.

• Like 4

• RMweb Premium

Well, I crashed in, looked at lots of wires under boards and very tidy they were too. I also looked at black control things and decided that I shall need to upgrade my stuff. Gilbert was very helpful indeed and we even got talking about macros.  Many thanks also for the Coach Boards matey. For a change, the drive on the A1/A46 was extremely enjoyable, in beautiful weather and I saw my first Martins (probably Sand) of this year just west of Newark over the lakes west of the sugar factory. 

All in all a very enjoyable day where no modelling was done at all but much was discussed.

Oh yes, Gilbert's floor under his layout is so tidy now that one can slide around like a little boy at a wedding disco. We didn't do that I hasten to add.

Duck.

There was a time though when two gentlemen who are possibly just beyond the prime of life were lying flat on their backs under the baseboards. One was asking erudite questions about wiring looms. The other was wondering if he would be able to get up again.

While Phil was here a few trains ran,and all was well until it became necessary for the shiny A4 in the Up bay to move forward and back onto the Glasgow-KX. It did going forward OK, until it ran into the face of a wrongly set point, and caused a short. I suppose I caused the short actually. Anyway, after that 60034 refused to back onto its train. Onto the programming track, where at first all went well, decoder recognised etc, until I tried to find the cabside address, which I suspected may have got changed by the short circuit. "Cannot read CV" It said, and thereafter continued to say it.

After Phil left, I tried programming on the main, rather than the programming track, and the loco moved forward, so decoder not ******** as I had feared. It would not however move in reverse. In the end, I gave up. A few minutes later though I happened to look at my snagging list. And there I found... 60034 will not move in reverse. :banghead:

• RMweb Premium

There was a time though when two gentlemen who are possibly just beyond the prime of life were lying flat on their backs under the baseboards. One was asking erudite questions about wiring looms. The other was wondering if he would be able to get up again.

While Phil was here a few trains ran,and all was well until it became necessary for the shiny A4 in the Up bay to move forward and back onto the Glasgow-KX. It did going forward OK, until it ran into the face of a wrongly set point, and caused a short. I suppose I caused the short actually. Anyway, after that 60034 refused to back onto its train. Onto the programming track, where at first all went well, decoder recognised etc, until I tried to find the cabside address, which I suspected may have got changed by the short circuit. "Cannot read CV" It said, and thereafter continued to say it.

After Phil left, I tried programming on the main, rather than the programming track, and the loco moved forward, so decoder not ******** as I had feared. It would not however move in reverse. In the end, I gave up. A few minutes later though I happened to look at my snagging list. And there I found... 60034 will not move in reverse. :banghead:

I wasn't going to admit that as I though JW would post something lude (well, he has anyway). However I was a little concerned about the situation in case we had had to call for the emergency services following any incident whilst trying to crawl around the floor. :scared:

P

• RMweb Premium

Small boy at disco?  Someone's been watching The Commitments.....

I empathise with the certain gent wondering if he will be able to get up, as it's a daily thing for me when I have to get something off or put onto the bottom shelf at work!  As we had a Peco delivery the size of a small truck today I am shattered as a result.

I really like the photos of the 01 over the last couple of days. Very atmospheric.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Small boy at disco?  Someone's been watching The Commitments.....

I empathise with the certain gent wondering if he will be able to get up, as it's a daily thing for me when I have to get something off or put onto the bottom shelf at work!  As we had a Peco delivery the size of a small truck today I am shattered as a result.

I really like the photos of the 01 over the last couple of days. Very atmospheric.

Might have seen that, but don't all small boys slide, at some time during the festivities and if they are wearing stupid long trousers, on their knees across the dance floor at wedding dances? 

By the way, I really do not enjoy wedding 'receptions' unless they last only about an hour and just have snacks. That is because I am an ar$e.

I quite like funeral teas though and I tend to be attending more of those these days.

Ar$e

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

And so to this evening's image, which, though taken before today's visitor arrived, is nevertheless quite appropriate. Here is the Up Northumbrian running in for its Peterborough stop behind an A4. The 01 is still waiting for the road - we've got a bit out of sequence here.

post-98-0-95629500-1460584624_thumb.jpg

It should not be necessary to enlarge the image to find out which A4 it is.

• Like 18

• RMweb Premium

And so to this evening's image, which, though taken before today's visitor arrived, is nevertheless quite appropriate. Here is the Up Northumbrian running in for its Peterborough stop behind an A4. The 01 is still waiting for the road - we've got a bit out of sequence here.

attachicon.gif22 1.jpg

It should not be necessary to enlarge the image to find out which A4 it is.

Wild Swan (after it stopped being an ugly duckling)?

Some cracking pictures the last few days Gilbert, some notables for me being-

- B17 at the excursion platform

- 01 on the wrong side of the bridge (the first picture with the signal box on the right especially)

- the Peppercorn shots

- 60010 under the bridge (outstanding effort)

Finally - and forgive me if I missed it, (reading / writing this after a very poor sleep), which locomotive substituted for the failed 60034 in the end.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Some cracking pictures the last few days Gilbert, some notables for me being-

- B17 at the excursion platform

- 01 on the wrong side of the bridge (the first picture with the signal box on the right especially)

- the Peppercorn shots

- 60010 under the bridge (outstanding effort)

Finally - and forgive me if I missed it, (reading / writing this after a very poor sleep), which locomotive substituted for the failed 60034 in the end.

I'd had enough by that time Ted, so I'm afraid the great hand from the sky descended and moved the stock to the fiddle yard.

• RMweb Gold

Certainly been an enjoyable time catching up here after a week of limited viewing. So many B17s, so much joy. I did like the A1 on the Harrogate train particularly. Is it just me or do they just look like they mean business? Don't get me wrong, an A3 is the epitome of gracefulness, an A4 the sleek superstar, but A1s just look like they are there to do a job without fuss or bother, but you know they will do it with the same grace and speed without shouting it from the rooftops.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Certainly been an enjoyable time catching up here after a week of limited viewing. So many B17s, so much joy. I did like the A1 on the Harrogate train particularly. Is it just me or do they just look like they mean business? Don't get me wrong, an A3 is the epitome of gracefulness, an A4 the sleek superstar, but A1s just look like they are there to do a job without fuss or bother, but you know they will do it with the same grace and speed without shouting it from the rooftops.

The A1 really was the ultimate development of the Gresley design, I think. My recollection is that until the A4s and A3s were fitted with double chimneys it was the A1s which were the most numerous when we went spotting, and that is borne out by the writings of Peter Townend and Peter Coster, who both say that they kept the whole thing going from their introduction through to 1957/8. Certainly A4s were not seen that much, six or seven in a days spotting was normal. The A1 with roller bearings got close to the best that could be devised really.

It is a testament to Gresley though that, when fitted with a double kylchap, his original A1s became interchangeable with any Class 8 engine on any of the best trains. I still think the most amazing aspect of the whole thing is that there were still people in the BRB in the 50s who were trying to get double chimneys removed!

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

Which A4 was it?

post-98-0-02669100-1460625667_thumb.jpg

Couldn't have been any other than Mallard60022, could it? It was a coincidence though that both the loco and our chap were involved on the same day. For the carriage fans, I also took a photo of this.

post-98-0-12991300-1460625864_thumb.jpg

Nice looking thing, isn't it, and it certainly has some hints of modern design?

And now to golf. First medal round of the year, and thunderstorms forecast. :O

• Like 14

I'd had enough by that time Ted, so I'm afraid the great hand from the sky descended and moved the stock to the fiddle yard.

Fair Enough then Boss !!!!

I had one "start to fail" (smoke like bu**ery) last week, I'd have done the same if I could. The fumes from the dying engine coming into the cab were just about killing me. That big hand just wouldn't come and the engine wouldn't die!! It was finally taken out of traffic next morning.

• RMweb Premium

I recall looking at that with you. It is very striking. Was it Cravens or BRCW?

Cravens. The others all looked more-or-less conventional from the outside, according to the photos in Parkin.

• RMweb Premium

And then I decided to run a few more trains, and the sequence said " Down Talisman, KX duty 18."  Off to the shed, where I found the loco was 60010. Now I have a nice photo of that loco coming under Crescent Bridge on the Talisman.

attachicon.gif60010 Talisman.jpg

Photo courtesy of and copyright of Andrew C Ingram, and no to be further reproduced please. I have previously tried to recreate this, but I decided to have another go as I think my abilities have improved since then. For once I took my time, and tried several slightly different angles. In the end I decided the photographer must have been standing on the ramp of the Up platform. Of course he could hold his camera steady with no problem, but I had considerable difficulty balancing it on the slope, and couldn't get a sharp image. The one below is not quite right, but the best I could do today.

attachicon.gifTalisman 1.jpg

I forgot to polish the buffers, and made a mess of putting on the left hand lamp, and that greenery is very temporary. The strange thing is that this train came through PN in 1958 at about 1730, which means the light would be from the West, as it is for me. However, the light in the original appears to be coming from the other side. I can only conclude that the prototype shot was taken in a later year, when both morning and afternoon Talisman carried that name. In 1958, the morning service was called the Fair Maid.  The morning train came through at about 0930. so that could be the one in the prototype image, I think.

In 1962 60010 was still sporting its bell.

post-6751-0-38939400-1460641928.jpg

ArthurK

• Like 7

• RMweb Premium

Fair Enough then Boss !!!!

I had one "start to fail" (smoke like bu**ery) last week, I'd have done the same if I could. The fumes from the dying engine coming into the cab were just about killing me. That big hand just wouldn't come and the engine wouldn't die!! It was finally taken out of traffic next morning.

That would be the 'real thing' then?

post-2326-0-32358300-1460643703.jpg

post-2326-0-16169400-1460643779.jpg

:locomotive:

P

Edited by Mallard60022
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

In 1962 60010 was still sporting its bell.

attachicon.gifBook1 34_3.JPG

ArthurK

Sorry, but that is not correct. The bell had to be removed when the double chimney was fitted in December 1957 - source Yeadon's Register. If that photo is captioned 1962 I'm afraid that is way out too, as in the background can be seen a BG used in the Elizabethan in the early 50s. It was a very unusual application of the crimson and cream livery, and lasted for a relatively short time. There is no way it was still running in that livery in 1962. There are many photos of 60010 without the bell prior to 1962.

• RMweb Premium

The Photo of 60010 was one of my very earliest. It very nearly ended up as scrap because the negative was not far from being totally transparent. I did a bit of  intensifying the image which did improve it but it wasn't until the advent of Photoshop, Paintshop Pro and  like that I was able to make it into a worthwhile image.

Sorry if I got the date so far wrong. I didn't visit London much in those far off days but there was one memorable trip in 1962 and I mistakenly assumed that it was then. No doubt bit more checking of my records will yield a more realistic date.

Just checked - should have done that before I posted - it was in fact 1954. I was only eight years out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But then it was a long time ago.

ArthurK

Edited by ArthurK
  • Like 1