Peterborough North

great northern

I"m with you on the power walking. I have been doing a 30 minute walk every day since I had an excruciating attack of referred pain. The osteopath that sorted my back suggested a regime of simple exercises plus the daily walks to prevent another bout. Of course 15 minutes doesn't take you far and I have got to know the back turnings of Eastleigh rather better than I ever thought I would. 

Chaz

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Been on statins in the past as has other half. Unfortunately they do not suit either of us so we no longer use them. When I retire later this year there will be a major change in lifestyle with my being able to eat much more healthily and take more exercise. hopefully that will do the job ...

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

I"m with you on the power walking. I have been doing a 30 minute walk every day since I had an excruciating attack of referred pain. The osteopath that sorted my back suggested a regime of simple exercises plus the daily walks to prevent another bout. Of course 15 minutes doesn't take you far and I have got to know the back turnings of Eastleigh rather better than I ever thought I would. 

Chaz

I'm very fortunate, in that within two minutes walk from my door I have a choice of scenic journeys. I'd take some photos, but it is absolutely throwing it down, so that will have to wait. What shall I do instead? I know, why don't I go and chair another meeting?

• Like 1

I'm very fortunate, in that within two minutes walk from my door I have a choice of scenic journeys. I'd take some photos, but it is absolutely throwing it down, so that will have to wait. What shall I do instead? I know, why don't I go and chair another meeting?

You are clearly a man of great willpower. I needed to take more exercise, but the only way I could make myself do it was by getting a dog: the hound needed the walk whether I wanted to or not, so it made me take daily exercise - whatever the weather.

After a couple of months there was a very noticeable difference, and a chunk of weight loss without any diet changes - so some of those changes would probably now be in order, too.

Perhaps bizarrely, I drive the (now two) dogs to the start of their walk so that I can take a different route every walk. It would bore me out of my brain to walk the same route twice a day. Despite exploring this part of Norfolk for more than half a century, in the last few months I have discovered more footpaths and bridleways than I ever dreamed existed. And I never knew there were so many hares and deer here - which my rescue greyhounds seem to have a relentless ability to find.

Paul

• Like 3

• RMweb Gold

Some interesting cholesterol numbers - mine is hovering about the 7 mark but the 'good' element has increased quite a lot I was told at my most recent review so nursey was happy(ish).  Alas statins and I do not get on at all well so after a number of years on them they had to stop, and I've been through the card in terms of varieties thereof.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Yes indeed, Peter. I'm down from fluctuating between eleven and a half and twelve stone to an absolutely consistent eleven stone exactly.

I was 11 stone once.......I passed it by one Saturday morning and haven't seen it since...

Actually I've just got the papers for my 55yr medical, I'm interested to see any differences.

• RMweb Premium

I was 11 stone once.......I passed it by one Saturday morning and haven't seen it since...

Actually I've just got the papers for my 55yr medical, I'm interested to see any differences.

It's that diet of crispy bacon that does it you know ....

• RMweb Premium

Statins.....the Bulleid Oil Bath Valve Gear of meds. They used to make me knackered or so I thought but it probably wasn't them but other nonsense. I've been on and off the damn things since 2010ish, sometimes by choice and sometimes by being a good boy.

Pah!

• RMweb Premium

Chaz

This is what I can get within two minutes walk of home. It looks spectacular in the evening, and in certain lights, but there are problems with the setting sun, so I tried it just now.

post-98-0-98716100-1499862047_thumb.jpg

We are looking across the Trent valley. The other side of the road in the middle distance is the Nottingham - Grantham railway line, after which everything drops steeply to the river. Most of what is in this view is the other side of the river, and stretches for many miles.

Way off topic, but who wouldn't want to look at an English landscape on a lovely summer's day?

• Like 16

Good Morning Gilbert

Could I please ask a question regarding the Bachmann A2 Locomotives.

Would you have any idea what is the size of the handrail knobs that hold the brass wire that runs down each side side of the boiler.

I have a few that need replacing, I rang Bachmann and was told they do not sell them and I should Google them, great help.

I know Markits and Romford produce them but it's trying to match up with the existing ones.

Any ideas?

Regards

David

• RMweb Premium

Good Morning Gilbert

Could I please ask a question regarding the Bachmann A2 Locomotives.

Would you have any idea what is the size of the handrail knobs that hold the brass wire that runs down each side side of the boiler.

I have a few that need replacing, I rang Bachmann and was told they do not sell them and I should Google them, great help.

I know Markits and Romford produce them but it's trying to match up with the existing ones.

Any ideas?

Regards

David

I'm afraid I can't David, but I suggest you try a PM to Tim.It may well be that he has come across this during the course of the several conversions he has done.

• RMweb Premium

I'm a bit late with the morning photos, but I have a quiet day for a change, and don't intend to hurry with anything. Remembering that some people said they liked to see the occasional shot which just showed the general view, unencumbered by trains, I tried this one, where there are trains, but only in the distance.

post-98-0-75982200-1499938327_thumb.jpg

The usual problems with photoshopping lattices when the camera is pointed in this direction, I'm afraid. Anyway, the spotters at the platform end can now see a named express approaching, what might it be?

post-98-0-26419300-1499938484_thumb.jpg

The Northumbrian, but no Tyneside loco, just Hermit again.

• Like 19

• RMweb Premium

That last picture had me leaping off my chair and out of harms way, Gilbert. Are you sure you didn't get it mixed up with a prototype picture ?

Stunning stuff either way.

Allan.

It was stationary Allan. Even so, I doubt that even the most respected photgrapher, with permit, would have been allowed to stand where necessary to get this shot. Rather too close to the Down main for comfort.

• RMweb Gold

It was stationary Allan. Even so, I doubt that even the most respected photgrapher, with permit, would have been allowed to stand where necessary to get this shot. Rather too close to the Down main for comfort.

Dad had a photographic permit for many years, which included the Grantham area, he stood in sensible places (as far as I can tell from his photos).

When he talked about his experiences he often mentioned people who stood in very silly places to take photos.  Some permit holders apparently thought it was OK to stand on the track let alone near to it.   

He said he witnessed several near misses yet knew hardly anyone who had their permit taken away.

Of course in those days a permit holder did not have to have a lookout with them.

David

Edited by DaveF
  • Like 2

• RMweb Premium

Mainly MK1s in the Northumbrian, but we haven't had a look at this prototype for a while.

attachicon.gifCravens second.JPG

Cutting edge for the time, I suppose. After the Northumbrian had pulled in, there was an opportunity for the 01 to cross into New England yards.

attachicon.gif01 leaving.JPG

Whilst at the other end, Sir Nigel waits in the bay to take over the Up Glasgow, and the C12 brings stock for a Grimsby departure up from the carriage sidings.

attachicon.gif7 and C12.JPG

Spooky as I was just looking at that coach on the S Pride site today.............I actually quite like the design.

Philth

Cricklewood Yards would have been a train spotters paradise with unobstructed access to the main line and all those powerful pacifics thundering North and long, slow freights lumbering their way  to goodness knows where.

However, it was a dangerous place being so close to the main line that fatalities weren't that uncommon with yard men crossing the main line on their way to the canteen the news of which must have put the trainspotting fraternity off who preferred Mill Hill anyway or, as our gang preferred, Boreham Wood tunnel, the gateway to Hell as our parents called it in a hopeless attempt at keeping us away from the possibility of  getting flattened under 60 tons of unstoppable locomotive where scribbling down numbers and nameplates for me was a waste of time anyway as I didn't have a clue as to what I was supposed to be looking out for and why and, more importantly to an Eastend kid of the times, I  just went there to get  covered in as much soot and cinders as was possible before tea time !

Allan

• Like 7