Peterborough North

great northern

• RMweb Premium

I have attempted to play Golf on several occasions (although never seriously or ever in the rain) and although it was immensely frustrating (mainly because I was rubbish at it). There is a sense of perverse pleasure achievement in finally getting the ball in the hole in less shots than the time previously.

It is quietly addictive and I can understand Gilbert's keenness to get out there at any opportunity. It is also one of the few sports that let you get a reasonable amount of exercise but which doesn't involve the rather unattractive idea of running ;)

It probably doesn't hurt that many golf courses also have a bar as well (which I don't mind at all :))

Tried Golf - only sort I'm any good at is the type that has an engine in it and you sit in and drive!

As for exercise I hated sport at school and would do anything to get out of it. Nowadays I acknowledge I do not get enough exercise a lot of the time and that had ended up in my doing some jogging, I won't call it running as I'm not fast enough. I do want to get back to doing some cycling for my overall fitness, 80 miles before lunch on a Sunday used to be easy. The only problem at the moment is work gets in the way of any real effort at getting more exercise ...

• RMweb Premium

Gilbert,

That's a truly wonderful shot inside the station - ref. 15541(cannot copy this down to here as I do not know how to do that!)

It has bags of atmosphere and captures those far off days of trainspotting on stations of to a tee (golfing metaphor of course).

Great stuff as always.

Eric

• RMweb Premium

Oh, go on then. Striker, or struck?

Struck - large dent in the roof of my dad's Cortina, and when we stopped to see what was going on, the golfer turned up, and having quickly had a look and said "contact the club and their insurance will sort it - did you see where my ball went afterwards?" .  He then disappeared into a field on the other side of the road to see whether he could find it.

• RMweb Premium

Engine change on the Glasgow this morning. 60514 has come off, and is backing down to its home shed, while 60007 moves out of the bay in order to couple up.

post-98-0-96965500-1500627509_thumb.jpg

and then we have this morning's bit of still life.

post-98-0-03167700-1500627633_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

Engine change on the Glasgow this morning. 60514 has come off, and is backing down to its home shed, while 60007 moves out of the bay in order to couple up.

attachicon.gif7 and 514.JPG

I'm just settling back with a Great Northern Lager and I open up PN to see -

My Fave class in my fave location. (A4 under Crescent Bridge) -  Life is good.

Cheers Gilbert

Ps- better add that its 5 Pm here :O

Edited by The Blue Streak

Could you explain HDR please Chaz? I honestly don't know what it is.

You take two or more exposures, to cover the different light levels. Then you use Photoshop or similar to combine the best bits into one image. One problem you would have is that the camera must not move at all so a tripod or something similar is a necessity. That might rule it out for you, I guess?

• RMweb Premium

You take two or more exposures, to cover the different light levels. Then you use Photoshop or similar to combine the best bits into one image. One problem you would have is that the camera must not move at all so a tripod or something similar is a necessity. That might rule it out for you, I guess?

I'm afraid it would. I can't see a way to get the camera where it needs to be to get that view, and to manage to keep it still.

• RMweb Premium

Sir Nigel is now about to make contact with the train, its driver no doubt making sure that the impact is as gentle as possible.

post-98-0-91740700-1500672153_thumb.jpg

And then we have another view of Crescent Bridge, but this time with nothing happening.

post-98-0-67063400-1500672247_thumb.jpg

• Like 16

• RMweb Premium

Diesel? Is that the first on the layout?

No, David. There is Deltic, as Ian has said, plus this EE type 4, and another one. D201/6-9 were working pretty intensively by September 58, so are an essential part of the scene.

• RMweb Premium

Was the afternoon or morning Talisman all mk1s

It was the morning train that was all MK1s, and known as the Fair Maid during summer 58. The afternoon train still had a Coronation twin FO, plus Thompson RU and SO. It makes a very nice train.