Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Spelling Mistakes on Models (and the prototype)

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, kevinlms said:

I wrote in part.

Apparently, he'd taken a photo of our old sign to use as a master, so his problem not ours

Does that not imply that the signwriter made the mistake? We didn't give him the wrong info.

It implies that he copied what was there before, (ie the “wrong” spelling)

You can’t beat a storm in a virtual teacup on a Friday morning, thanks to all contributors!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 4
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
4 minutes ago, Not Jeremy said:

It implies that he copied what was there before, (ie the “wrong” spelling)

You can’t beat a storm in a virtual teacup on a Friday morning, thanks to all contributors!!

So for years we had a sign that was wrong and we asked the signwriter to make a new version, with the same mistake (because it was made based a photograph, taken by the signwriter) according to you lot. That how I read your comment Not Jeremy and yet everyone here, thinks we didn't notice it all this time - at least 20 years.

The simpler and correct explanation, is that he stuffed up by incorrectly typing from his photograph.

Thanks so much.

Thank you for clarifying -  evidently I was not the only one who took what you were saying incorrectly. But in regard to your last post, I did also point out that some names are deliberately mis-spelled, so it was at least possible your Club had had a “deliberately incorrect” sign for years which the sign writer had, unaware, “corrected”. 

Anyway, as has been said, ‘storm in a teacup’, so let’s move on. 

• RMweb Premium
42 minutes ago, Willie Whizz said:

Thank you for clarifying -  evidently I was not the only one who took what you were saying incorrectly. But in regard to your last post, I did also point out that some names are deliberately mis-spelled, so it was at least possible your Club had had a “deliberately incorrect” sign for years which the sign writer had, unaware, “corrected”. 

Anyway, as has been said, ‘storm in a teacup’, so let’s move on. 

Please, please don't go down the path of our old sign was deliberately wrong! It wasn't. 

Other than that I agree fully with your post.

• RMweb Premium
24 minutes ago, Steamport Southport said:

Oh, sorry, is this a five minute argument or the full half-hour?

😉

Folkstone West

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/kent/4174057.stm

Jason

22 hours since I posted my message.

So keep going for the record!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• RMweb Gold

Ladies and Gentlemen, I proudly present The Malbororough Arms, St John's Street, Chester.  Local legend says that back in the day a cac handed signwriter added the extra "or" to the Malborough Arms and as most folk were illiterate at the time nobody noticed until it was too late.

Malbororough Arms.JPG

• Like 4
  • Funny 2

Caerhays (where the castle of the same name is located), near Mevagissey in Cornwall is signposted as such off the main roads but once you get into the rural lanes the old cast iron road signs have 'Carhayes' and 'Caerhayes' as well!

Since Swindon saw fit to name 'Castle Class' No 7014 'Caerhays Castle' (which aligns with the OS map) I'm sure that has to be the correct spelling 😉! Same with HST power car 43162.

[I got a railway connection in, although it wasn't an error. By Swindon? Heaven forbid!...........*cough* 'LEGIONAIRE' *cough*!!)]

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

An early one in railway legislation was the proposed Easton and Church Ope Railway here on the island. Correct spelling of Church Ope is without an H but it got changed by supposedly knowledgeable (Interfering) people in London to the Easton and Church Hope in the approved Act of Parliament. They assumed the local Dorset proposers didn't know their own locality's names!! It is Ope as a short form of opening and there are several such named places in the area. I am sure there are more names elsewhere corrupted the same way and then because of that the error has to stay.

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

On 01/04/2024 at 20:28, johnofwessex said:

Crewkerne was given a set of signs spelt Crewekerne.

No prizes as to where the signs were made!

It was worse - the signs actually said "Crewe Kerne"  with a definite gap too

• Like 2

Not really written, but I remember a radio commentator on the BBC in his hurry to introduce us to the highlights of an upcoming sports programme referred to the Euro-Nations Cup as the Urination Cup, or at least that's how it sounded.  

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium

It drives me up the wall every time I get on a train (LNER, I'm looking at you in particular, but others are guilty as well) that says "welcome onboard" - or press releases, posters and the like that say "get onboard" and other such phrases. At least one bus company has it in big letters on the side of a double-decker. The fact that so many transport companies can't get a basic transport term correct is crazy. Onboard is a word, but not in the context of transport. It has an entirely different meaning. You get on board, you can be aboard. You can have on-board equipment. You can't get onboard

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, Southernman46 said:

It was worse - the signs actually said "Crewe Kerne"  with a definite gap too

I don't know if this counts as a mistake or a historical change, but Leeds has a suburb called Cross Gates, but the station signs all say Crossgates as one word. I have seen it referred to elsewhere with both versions of the name.

12 hours ago, JOHNMCDRAGON said:

Not really written, but I remember a radio commentator on the BBC in his hurry to introduce us to the highlights of an upcoming sports programme referred to the Euro-Nations Cup as the Urination Cup, or at least that's how it sounded.  

He must have been pi55ed.

• Funny 3

Grand Central's guarantee - worth the paper it's written on?

Don't know how many of these reservation tickets they had printed, but I've seen it twice, many months if not years apart.

Guranteedguaranteed.jpg.001954bea169834ab08691d5ac9522ea.jpg

• Funny 3

• RMweb Premium

Wasn't the original release of the "new as in not ex-Lima" Hornby 67 something like 

"English, Welsh & Scottish Railwa"

on the cabside?

On 05/04/2024 at 23:55, JDW said:

The fact that so many transport companies can't get a basic transport term correct is crazy. Onboard is a word, but not in the context of transport. It has an entirely different meaning. You get on board, you can be aboard. You can have on-board equipment. You can't get onboard

All previous evidence suggests usage defeats 'correctness'. There are no rules for English; slong aswe unnerstan thass gud nuff.

On 12/04/2024 at 11:56, newbryford said:

Wasn't the original release of the "new as in not ex-Lima" Hornby 67 something like 

"English, Welsh & Scottish Railwa"

on the cabside?

Not sure about that one myself, having no need for a '67', but your question did remind me of this one.....

image.png.3b221cfadff57e2bcd72755de0fc5034.png

Bachmann's first release of their PNA open wagon (38-100) was incorrectly lettered "Railways" instead of "Railway".  This was corrected on subsequent releases.

(Perhaps if Railtrack had fully upheld their own advertised mission statement, regardless of the spelling, it would still be with us......)

When presenting your ticket on the GW, they had to be  “Shewn”.

Using the archaic form of "shown", the GW might well have been correct though. It implies that something has been demonstrated or proven, rather than simply displayed. So you have to prove you have the correct ticket, rather than merely showing it.

• RMweb Premium
13 minutes ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

When presenting your ticket on the GW, they had to be  “Shewn”.

Using the archaic form of "shown", the GW might well have been correct though. It implies that something has been demonstrated or proven, rather than simply displayed. So you have to prove you have the correct ticket, rather than merely showing it.

‘Shew’ and ‘shewn’ were obsolete spellings, but many would be familiar with them from their use in the Authorized Version of the Bible. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 01/04/2024 at 21:22, MattR said:

A real one I know of was SR King Arthur Class 770 which was supposed to be named "Sir Priamus," but the nameplate read "Sir Prianius."

"Sir Priapus" would have been funnier.

• Funny 2

33 minutes ago, rogerzilla said:

"Sir Priapus" would have been funnier.

Has your boiler pitch been raised or are you just happy to see me?

• Funny 1