NG7 Announcement (Quarry Hunslet, Slate Waggons & Scenecraft buildings)

Paul.Uni

9 hours ago, Quarryscapes said:

Wonderful news! I'm now looking at Quarry Hunslets in a 4th scale! 

On the whole looking good however I must point out that the handrail knobs look a bit naff, hopefully to be replaced by proper ones in production. I note the bracket securing the cab sheets to the tank is not shown on the cabless, hopefully an oversight too. The crossheads as well look a little bit  clunky, again hopefully better on production models and lastly to question what the cabbed variety with rounded front beam is meant to be? The square corner one is clearly Btitomart. I do hope we don't just get a rehash of the 009 identities when they are made public. 

I will be ordering as soon as they're out in any event!

‘Irish Mail’ by the looks of it. https://www.quarryhunslet.mste.co.uk/public/Irish_Mail.php

Though, with the toolbox being on the round cornered bufferbeam model, I suspect that as these are EP’s that not all the parts are in the right order. But they certainly show Bachmann’s intentions. 

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

Essentially, Bachmann are providing us with a lovely little, ready made, narrow gauge cameo layout.......

Or an opportunity to use the engine shed/store/water tower for a idiosyncratic standard gauge light railway scenario....

Having already done that in 4mm, the prospect of doing same in 7mm does appeal. 

Rob

Edited by NHY 581
  • Like 5
  • Round of applause 2

23 hours ago, e30ftw said:

Is it too early to dream of a double Fairlie or NG16 Garratt?

The chap on the stand suggested a Fairlie would be a natural follow on from a successful Quarry Hunslet.  I feel it’s my duty as a responsible fellow to do my bit to make the Quarry Hunslets successful so we can all have some Fairlies as well.  And maybe Peco can expand their Bowsiders to go with.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Bomp said:

The chap on the stand suggested a Fairlie would be a natural follow on from a successful Quarry Hunslet.  I feel it’s my duty as a responsible fellow to do my bit to make the Quarry Hunslets successful so we can all have some Fairlies as well.  And maybe Peco can expand their Bowsiders to go with.  

Now that would indeed be very purchasable!!!!!!

Now all we really need is some L&B freight stock, and happiness reigns

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)

My announcement email from Bachmann with a link to the video arrived in my inbox at 08.59 this (Monday) morning!

Also includes an announcement about the newly updated Routemaster tooling - four RMs at this stage, three London Red and one Leicester Confidence Bus.

Edited by brushman47544

On 13/04/2024 at 20:07, Adrian Stevenson said:

Photos from this morning.

IMG_5129.jpeg

And if you put all this in one box and add a basic DC controller, you end up with an O scale trainset that probably takes up no more space than an OO one. 

I think it's a brilliant announcement.

• Like 5

On 13/04/2024 at 22:00, JaymzHatstand said:

I've been trying to resist the urge to delve into 7mm scale narrow gauge. I sense this resistance will crumble with the inevitable announcement of Britomart! J

Well I noticed that one of the preproduction models has the large transverse tool box in front of the cab.  Is it only Britomart with this feature? As Bachmann already do it in 009, it surely will be in the 7mm range. 

But why have they gone against all normal conventions, and called it NG-7 (or 0-7)?

It's 0-16.5, they didn't rename their 00-9 models, so why do it now?

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

But why have they gone against all normal conventions, and called it NG-7 (or 0-7)?

Perhaps they've got replacement 14 mm gauge wheelsets up their sleeves?

Just now, Compound2632 said:

Perhaps they've got replacement 14 mm gauge wheelsets up their sleeves?

But then it would be 0-14, following the long established, and easy to understand, method of definition!

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

But then it would be 0-14, following the long established, and easy to understand, method of definition!

My point was that it might be bigaugal, in which case the scale is the relevant descriptor. 

(If one wants to be driven by the gauge rather than the scale, go for 1:36 scale, which is spot on for 1' 11½" gauge on 16.5 mm gauge track.)

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

My point was that it might be bigaugal, in which case the scale is the relevant descriptor. 

I understand your point, but then why have they put the wrong way round, and used 7, instead of 0?

By that logic, and following the normal convention, it should be 0-ng!

• RMweb Premium
5 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

I understand your point, but then why have they put the wrong way round, and used 7, instead of 0?

i look forward to the metre-gauge 7 mm scale range. OMG!

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 4

• RMweb Gold
6 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

Because it is their 'Brand' and they can call it what they like to differentiate it from 'convention' 

• Like 3
  • Agree 5
  • Informative/Useful 1

3 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

Because it is their 'Brand' and they can call it what they like to differentiate it from 'convention' 

Interesting take on this, I bet if Hornby had done this, there would be lots of frothing!

• RMweb Premium
Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

But seriously, the whole system of scale / gauge description is a mess of different conventions so adding one more makes little odds! 009 and 0-16.5 are absurdities, because they both tell you that it's a gauge (16.5 mm or 32 mm, respectively) but actually another gauge (9 mm or 16.5 mm). Although to be more precise, both 00 and 0 represent scale/gauge combinations - 4 mm/ft scale on 16.5 mm gauge, 7 mm/ft on 32 mm gauge. On the other hand, one has P4 and S7, where the letter implies a set of track and wheel standards and the digit the scale, in mm/ft, but the gauge is not specified - these standards can in principle be applied to models of prototypes in any gauge - witness a number of fine Irish models to these standards.

Then there's the utter nonsense of building kits sold as "00/H0 scale" or worse "00/H0 scale"! 

Excuse my rambling, but I used to be on committees that concerned themselves with terminology, nomenclature, and symbols in the physical sciences.

Edited by Compound2632
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold
7 minutes ago, jcm@gwr said:

Interesting take on this, I bet if Hornby had done this, there would be lots of frothing!

It is not a take, it is a 'Brand' not a description, it's no different from their N gauge range being branded  'Graham Farish' not 'N Gauge' or '2mm' or similar.

• Agree 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/04/2024 at 22:00, JaymzHatstand said:

Oh no!

No!

Please, no!

I've been trying to resist the urge to delve into 7mm scale narrow gauge. I sense this resistance will crumble with the inevitable announcement of Britomart!

Its a slippery slope, you'll never look back!

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
On 13/04/2024 at 14:47, NHY 581 said:

Holy Cr@p. That's torn it ! 

Looks like the family silver will be moved on......again...

Rob

Go for it Rob!

• Funny 2

• RMweb Premium
27 minutes ago, Graham_Muz said:

It is not a take, it is a 'Brand' not a description, it's no different from their N gauge range being branded  'Graham Farish' not 'N Gauge' or '2mm' or similar.

That is to say, NG-7 is their 0-16.5 brand. 

Perhaps they'll rebrand other ranges as SG-4 and SG-2.06?

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 minutes ago, Compound2632 said:

That is to say, NG-7 is their 0-16.5 brand. 

Perhaps they'll rebrand other ranges as SG-4 and SG-2.06?

NG7 could encompass other gauges if they so wished. 

They already have brands for 4mm (Bachmann Branchlines) and 2mm (Graham Farish) nothing says that all / any Brands within any business's portfolio have to follow any conventions. 

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, jcm@gwr said:

It’s a marketing ‘hook’ not renaming the gauge. If you hear about it and search NG7 it takes you direct to Bachmann, not any competitors. If you search O16.5 or 016.5 you get everyone else AND Bachmann’s range 😉

It just works with the way the internet searches are prioritised. 

• Like 4
  • Agree 4
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1