BR Dia.1/801 Fish/Parcels Vans from Rapido Trains UK

RapidoCorbs

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, phil gollin said:

Also, why did they have steam heating pipes as I thought fish needed to be kept cold  -  were they just steam through pipes ?

Because if you run them as part of a passenger train and put them in front of the coaching stock (as might happen from smaller ports) then passengers might be a bit pissed off to have a cold train to travel in (even if the fish don't mind the cold).

Well lagged steam heat pipes a will avoid this problem

• Like 3

Is it possible to have some approximate date ranges for the different lives? I can't be alone in being more generous with Rule 1 for wagons, because when modelling mixed freight trains and yards variety is everything. But I do like to stick to accurate time ranges. I am particularly interested in the Ice Blue vans. I read that this was introduced around 1964. But is there anything in the lettering/data panels etc that would fix either version to a later date (after summer 1965 in particular)?

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
27 minutes ago, Pteremy said:

Is it possible to have some approximate date ranges for the different lives? I can't be alone in being more generous with Rule 1 for wagons, because when modelling mixed freight trains and yards variety is everything. But I do like to stick to accurate time ranges. I am particularly interested in the Ice Blue vans. I read that this was introduced around 1964. But is there anything in the lettering/data panels etc that would fix either version to a later date (after summer 1965 in particular)?

I think the ice blue livery and data panels came in, if not concurrently, within a few months of one another.

However, IIRC, data panels were added to existing stock quite quickly, independent of overhauls and repainting. so I would expect "transitional" examples of white vans with data panels to be running around in the company of blue ones for at least two or three years.   

John

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Dunsignalling said:

I think the ice blue livery and data panels came in, if not concurrently, within a few months of one another.

However, IIRC, data panels were added to existing stock quite quickly, independent of overhauls and repainting. so I would expect "transitional" examples of white vans with data panels to be running around in the company of blue ones for at least two or three years.   

John

If I remember correctly there is a Timken Bearings advert with a ice blue fish van published somewhere, probably Modern Railways.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, stovepipe said:

Good choice, I’ll have some of the ice blue ones. Hornby’s version with the white buffer stocks must be someone’s idea of humour.

Actually the last block fish trains ran on the ECML in1976/7, not 1968. Single wagons were often seen on Far North and West Highland passenger services for a while afterwards too, which makes for some nice variation.

Yes remember seeing one through FP in 1969 behind one of the Haymarket EE4s…. 

In parcels service they were common vehicles on the Aberystwyth-York mails… 

York Mail at Aberystwyth

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 2

• RMweb Gold

What is wrong with the (fairly) recent Hornby version of this vehicle, please?

There must be something wrong with it, given that Rapido have decided to do one themselves...

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

3 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

There must be something wrong with it, given that Rapido have decided to do one themselves...

Hornby ones are very good for recreations of The Flying Kipper… prone to derailments! 

• Like 1
  • Funny 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium
2 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

One thing that's wrong with the Hornby version is the shape of the roof - the curve is too pronounced.  It should match the shape of the Parkside kit fish vans, but doesn't.  Sorry, I've disposed of my Hornby ones for that reason, so I can't take a photo to show what I mean!

• Like 2
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I recently converted my Hornby one to P4 and it doesn't derail. It looks to my eye like what it is meant to portray, and thus passes the Captain's Black 5 test.

I don't have any Parkside fish vans, so there is nothing to provide an adverse comparison!

Edited by Captain Kernow
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

21 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

slightly different wagons - the Hornby one is diagram 1/800, this is 1/801

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
26 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

The Hornby one is the other diagram, (as were the older Dapol and Hornby Dublo models) and lack the diagonal strapping to the sides and ends.

The two types were freely mixed in traffic, so the models are complementary to one another.

John 

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold
31 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

It was the old Hornby classic of neither one version or the other. Then they messed up the ice blue livery version.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

44 minutes ago, Captain Kernow said:

From memory there is an unusual arrangement above the solebar on the Hornby fish vans, which can produce an unsightly gap and has put me off buying any. 

image.png.a3ab9f3a616951970ce903e346189baa.png

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)

I've collected a few photo links for the 6E47/4E47 Aberdeen - KX Goods fish train over the years

https://railscot.co.uk/img/45/182/

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/43/72/

slide 8 from here

https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/I/Inverkeithing/slideshow.html

47549 near Stonehaven

The last days of the Blue Spot Fish Van

1975 01 11 40142 6E47 Dundee (666)

And a single one in 1980 on an Inverness - Aberdeen passener service.

O'0227 Between Kinaldie & Dyce  27007 early morning mixed (conveys a single blue spot fish van) Inverness - Aberdeen 1 May 1980

Edited by stovepipe
extra
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
4 minutes ago, Covkid said:

From memory there is an unusual arrangement above the solebar on the Hornby fish vans, which can produce an unsightly gap and has put me off buying any. 

And wasn't the roof too rounded?  Going from memory there, so might be wrong, but I know I didn't buy any at the time.

Hornby have produced some damned good wagons, but this isn't one of them😕

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

22 hours ago, hmrspaul said:

Good to have them break cover.

Some photos of a few prototypes

957011 https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brfish/e97932d2   BR 1/801 Barrier Van – No.M87990

957012   https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brfish/e74f676f  BR 1/801 Barrier Van – No.W87573

957013  https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brfish/eb8c41f5  BR 1/801 Departmental Van – No.ADB975377

Paul

PS just noticed this in the description (coded NRV and later SPV under TOPS)   This is incorrect, the SPV designation predates the introduction of TOPS codes, for example on this 1970 photo by my late friend Tony Dyer https://PaulBartlett.zenfolio.com/brfish/e3e013bfa  (I realise this is the earlier design on an LNER type brake rigging and slightly different body)

Seeing some of the above comments - try reading the whole thread and using Paul's web-site - most of the answers as to vehicle type / liveries etc will be there somewhere ................................

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

I've collected a few photo links for the 6E47/4E47 Aberdeen - KX Goods fish train over the years

https://railscot.co.uk/img/45/182/

https://www.railscot.co.uk/img/43/72/

slide 8 from here

https://www.railscot.co.uk/locations/I/Inverkeithing/slideshow.html

These are excellent, thanks for the leg-work. D187 and D358 are fine transition diesels too, both fabulous Lothians workhorses.

• Like 3

42 minutes ago, stovepipe said:

Then they messed up the ice blue livery version.

Was that the one where they interpreted a black and white photo of "mostly dirty with a few clean bits" as "blue with white patches" ?

I shall have one of these to go with the Parksides. 

Edited by Wheatley
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Wheatley said:

Was that the one where they interpreted a black and white photo of "mostly dirty with a few clean bits" as "blue with white patches" ?

Yep!

Three versions of it too R6759/A/B

Edited by stovepipe
add
  • Like 1

I believe 6E47 returned north as 6S64 14:25 Kings Cross Goods to Millerhill and routed via the joint line. Often good for a LM class 40.

1975 may have been it's final year, unless it was rerouted via the ecml. My final sighting was in the October.

Tony 

Web image 

Screenshot_20230610-2117282.png.d4fba946c1247e5a5d2ff51c770b0097.png

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold
4 hours ago, Tony P said:

I believe 6E47 returned north as 6S64 14:25 Kings Cross Goods to Millerhill and routed via the joint line. Often good for a LM class 40.

1975 may have been it's final year, unless it was rerouted via the ecml. My final sighting was in the October.

Tony 

Web image 

Yes that was my understanding too, the fish vans went back on the 'Scotch Goods' 6S64. I haven't been able to tie the last workings down exactly, but with headcodes not being displayed from Jan 1976, identification is a little harder. I have seen one photo which suggest that fish traffic continued in freightliner containers for a period.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

Terrific news Rapido, I’ll certainly be buying a few. Having just built a short rake of Parkside 1/800 (noting  the glaring roof profile error on my Hornby versions mentioned when they first appeared), a mix of 1/801 and 1/800 vans will complete it. They were relatively common in Bristol in the early-mid 1970s in their SPV Express parcels configuration.

if I remember correctly when Hornby released theirs, it was met with some surprise that they didn’t go for a 1/801 instead. 

Neil

• Like 2